Wait For New Touch or Get Now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iLIVEITLOUD, Apr 21, 2010.

1. iLIVEITLOUD macrumors newbie

Okay, so my birthday is coming up and was wondering what to do...I know you guys don't really know about this stuff, but I was wondering. Is the new iPod Touch going to be like a software update or is it going to have like a camera and other cool stuff the present one won't have. So, should I wait for the 4g or get it now?

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows, but it's probably not coming until September.

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

3rd Gen was a software update, one thing Apple really screwed us on. Wait a few months for the next one. I'm getting a new MBP next month when the BTS promotion starts and am going to sell the iPod they give me.

4. EllieV macrumors 6502

i would say wait

I am in the same exact position. I would say wait, for both of us, because September is the time when new iPods Touch's are released, so it's likely a new one would come out then. And if a new one does come out and you buy it, you won't have to worry about downloading OS4.0, because it would already be installed.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will be out most likely in September and many people doubt it will have a camera (especially since the iPad doesn't have one). Most likely, the update will mostly be speed / capacity (similar to last years). The software update is expected in June/July and will be loaded into the existing Touches through iTunes.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not entirely true. The latest generation (32Gig and 64Gig) has more storage, more RAM, and a much faster processor. It was definitely worth the update from a first gen and worth the update from a 2nd gen (depending on what you do).

If you get the current gen (32Gig or 64Gig) Touch, you will not be disappointed.

7. EllieV macrumors 6502

but you would be dissapointed if a better one comes out in September...

8. flight macrumors regular

Not really. I have all summer to enjoy mine since I wouldn't have an MP3 player otherwise. I am also able to upgrade my 32GB 3rd-gen to iPhone OS 4 when the time comes, so software isn't an issue.

9. dom91932 macrumors member

It really depends on you. if you are tech savvy and always want the latest, then get it in September when the new models are out. If you can not wait a minute, you should get one right now. It matters if you can wait or not wait.

10. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Apple will not survive on spec increases alone. They were able to get away with it last year, but they won't continue selling the same exact device (feature-wise) three years in a row. If Apple doesn't add a camera, they'll likely add some other major feature.

Also, the iPad line has nothing to do with the iPod line.

To the OP: 5 months is a long time. If you really want an iPod touch, I'd recommend buying now. Even if you don't get the new hardware from the September release, you will be able to enjoy your touch now and buy the OS 4 update this summer.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not true at all. Apple does not want to kill sales on one product by adding something to another product.

Case in point would be a camera in the iPod Touch. It would directly affect iPad sales (i.e. many people would buy a Touch instead of the more expensive iPad if the Touch got a camera and the iPad didn't. An even greater problem would be that people would hold off on an iPad purchase since they believe that a iPad camera update was imminent seeing the Touch got one).

As long as AT+T has exclusivity, you will not see a camera in either the Touch or iPad. This year's update will be another incremental update.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Buy It !!!

Dude, buy it and enjoy it. Don't worry about next generation. Even when next gen comes out, still enjoy the one you get now. I enjoyed my first gen nano until I got a free 3rd gen. I still enjoy the 3rd gen nano. A coworker was given a 32 gig latest gen touch after his nano got swiped. I was given the opportunity to play with it for hours, to include loading apps. His Android phone is now used for calls only (when wifi is available) It is a wonderful device, and I will probably get one instead of an iPad. (Well for now at least). Try Textie on your touch for send sms via wifi.

What is the deal with cameras ? Does every electronic device I own need a camera ? :confused: I LOVE the fact that the iPad and touch doesn't have one. (and that it doesn't do flash)

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I've got my $$ saved up already, can't wait to get one since I'm switching from a 1st gen iPod touch... waiting is hard but my 5G nano is helping the effort...

14. na1577 macrumors 6502a

That would be true for closely related products, but the iPad and the iPod touch serve completely different purposes. I don't think someone interested in purchasing an iPad would put off their purchase for an iPod touch unless it better served their needs (mobile device vs. netbook).

15. benjai macrumors member

Unfortuneatly, I'm in more or less the same boat. Would the new iPod be a redesign/larger update than the previous one (which seemed more of a spec update)? Given that we know that the iPhone is going to be quite different.

If there is going to be a major refresh, then I would say its worth the wait. If its just a minor update, then I may as well get it now?

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wouldn't it be nice if one could see the future?:rolleyes:

17. dcoux09 macrumors member

I'd say wait, and I think it will have some cool new features. Rumors were that there was going to be a camera last year, but it was scrapped in the last stages. With the nano shooting video, I would fully expect the new ipod touch to have some sort of camera/video recorder. Also, keep and eye out for what the new iphone looks like in June, my bet is that they have the same angular style with new aluminum controls on the outside. The back to school promo is about to start soon which is a great way for Apple to pawn off their old stock of touches; I'd expect a nice update.

18. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I was going to comment on this...

19. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

20. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

if you have another iPod now I'd say wait and ask for :apple: giftcards or something else. If you have no iPod get it now, and enjoy it! When I got my very first iPod (the one with the touch wheel) it was back in early 2004 and I had no idea that this website even existed. I bought it and loved it. But then the new one with the click wheel was released like 3 months later...but at the end of the day i didnt care since I had mine and I was happy with it!!!! You'll love it either way!