Wait for next (rev c?) G5? Or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by booksacool1, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2004
    The new G5 is missing many features I want, such as:
    PCI-Express, DDR2, 533mhz ram, DL superdrive.
    The Dell's seem to have all this new technology in most of their product line already. To me it makes the G5's seem already "outdated".
    I want this machine to last. Is it worth waiting for apple to implement this, or should I just wait untill the next revision? :confused:
    Do you think the G5's will get all this the next time the're updated?
    Macrumors buyers guide states that the current G5 is in the middle of its product cycle. If I were to order one now, I think I would get it in about say 3 months time? By then apple have upgraded the G5 line anyway.
    BTW, i'm writing all this on a 450mhz g3 imac I've been using for the last four years, just to give you my idea of an expected G5 lifespan.
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....if you *need* a new Mac now then buy one - you are not going to wait 3 months to get it...unless you want the GeForce 6800 video card....the standard video card models can all be had within more reasonable times...in fact the mid-range dual 2.0 Ghz will ship from Apple in 2-3 days...the 2.5's a little longer but these can also be found at many of the retailers now too.....oh yeah!
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    If you plan on keeping the G5 a long time, waiting a few months until MWSF or slightly after will tell you if PCI-Express will show up.

    But used Macs do sell well, and quite a few people don't mind the loss in value they get from having a machine they can use now.

    The G5 will be quite capable for a long time.

    The PCI-Express video will allow you to jump onto the next generation GPUs and be able to take advantage of what amounts to something equally as important to keeping the machine fresh besides having upgradeable CPUs.


    Of course, after PCI-Express video and DDR2 memory -- you have dual core CPUs and/or Power5-UL CPUs to look forward to.

    As well as the next generation FW, 10gigabit ethernet (which looks promising with Apple's use of Broadcom ethernet chips in the XServe), etc.
  4. jestershinra macrumors regular

    Sep 4, 2004
    External DVD burner's can be had relatively cheaply. LaCie has a 16x DL burner for $229. Not a big deal if you are forking the dough for a G5.

    Your main concerns lie on the logic board. DDR2 and PCI-express. I don't pretend to know what the next update will contain, or when it will come. But, for me, 400Mhz RAM is fast enough. I think DDR2 is going to be expensive...I'd rather stick with the current scheme.

    PCI-E. That's an interesting concern...it depends on how much you need it. If you use PCI cards alot, the it might be worth waiting for. However, it's not a certainty that the card manufacturers wil jump on board and reengineer their Mac cards...

    I'd buy now...but my needs are probably different than yours.
  5. booksacool1 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2004
    The difference between "Dual core CPU's, nextgen FW, 10gigabit ethernet" and "PCI-express, DDR2, 533mhz ram" is that the competaters (dell) have it. No one has 10gigabit Ethernet, but many pc's have PCI-express. Apple often has the lastest technology (think the original Gigabit ethernet G4 back in 2000), but here, whith the G5, apple is lagging behind. I want the ability to upgrade my graphics card in two years time.
    And yes I was going to get the 6800, or at least a 9800xt
    BTW, when is MWSF? How long do i have to wait?
  6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...MWSF is early january...*but* - there is no guarantee that Apple will announce new G5's then - remember, everyone got all worked because they expected them at last years event but they did not even get announced until june....oh yeah!
  7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6


    Jun 4, 2003
    So are these features that you want or that you need? Are you a professional who requires the latest and greatest, or is this just you wanting the best because you can have it? Give us a better idea of what your requirements and use is.

    Hahaha - maybe you should buy a Dell then. :rolleyes: The G5 is by no means outdated. In fact, compared to it, on many levels, everyone else is outdated.

    Macs always last, as you know with your G3 iMac. Again, depending what you need this system for, a G5 will last you for a LONG time, as it is way more computer than the average user needs.

    My advice is buy what you want when you want it. And don't always wait for the next best thing, or else you'll always be waiting. If the features you described above are indeed requirements for yourself, then I guess you have to wait. But when those features are released, and the next ones are in the pipe, are you going to want to wait for those too? ;)

    I would say buy now, but I don't know your needs - give us some more info and we'll be able to better help ya.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I agree, buy what you need when you need. With the back log on G5 orders, it would seem that they should definitely be caught up by the end of the year. Also if the next upgrade would be major, the conventional wisdom is to wait for the next revision for problems to be corrected.

Share This Page