wait for october or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeffuwee, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. jeffuwee macrumors member

    jeffuwee

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    #1
    hi, im a new user to mac's in general although i've had ipods here and there.
    i am currently a senior highschool student and i was wondering whether i should
    wait until the rumored october upgrade or just buy it now. i'm planning to buy a macbookpro. i'll probably just use leopard for schoolwork, graphic/video editing, and etc. and use bootcamp with xp professional for my gaming needs ie, cs:s and future games such as starcraft2.

    so i guess my question is should i just buy a macbookpro now from somebody on craigslist for cheap? or wait till october when the prices might go higher and buy it directly from apple?

    thank you.
     
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #2
    Can you wait? If so, then do it. If you need the MBP for an upcoming trip, project or you don't have a computer that currently works and need one for school, then buy now, and enjoy.

    I'd wait at least until the 9th, should push prices down on old stuff if anything new comes out, or you could look at the new stuff.
     
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #3
    It is the classic decision discussed on here every day

    You can use MRoogle to do a search and find lots of threads started by others with the same dilemma

    However, the prices aren't likely to go up, just the specs

    I always say, if you can wait, wait... if not, buy
    There will always be another new model on the horizon

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  4. Schtumple macrumors 601

    Schtumple

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Location:
    benkadams.com
    #4
    I doubt the new models will be higher priced, they are more likely to remain the same prices, if not lower priced.

    If you need it now, buy it, if you don't need it, wait...

    It's fairly simple, it astonishes me how many "should I buy, should I wait" threads are made every day on here, they're all exactly the same, and they all get the same advice...
     
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #5
    Agree completely. If you need it, buy now; if you want it, wait, and either buy a new model, or a discontinued model, which will probably be quite generously discounted. However, I'd suggest that you buy an Apple refurb, rather than from Craigslist. With an Apple refurb, you get the guarantees from Apple and a one year warranty, which does give security.

    Cheers
     
  6. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #6
    If I were you I'd definately wait and buy direct from Apple or an authorised reseller.
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
  8. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #8
    [copy]Wait if you can, buy now if you need it.[/paste]

    Reload for next thread...

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  9. DDar macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #9
    Wait, wasn't the update rumored for September 16th? When did it change to October?
     
  10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #10
    My vote: wait if you can, buy now if you need it.
     
  11. jeffuwee thread starter macrumors member

    jeffuwee

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    #11
    thanks for all the advice. another question :D
    for the refurbished apple items whats the difference other than being refurbished? does it have cosmetic problems? different hardware/software? thanks
     
  12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #12
    As a senior in high school, you are not yet eligible for the Education Discount, anyway. The prices will not increase for the new models. They have not changed since the introduction of the aluminum PowerBook in 2003. Just wait for the update. The GPU in that one won't be defective.
     
  13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #13
    No difference other than being refurbished, although you will probably find some older models in the refurb store too. It seems to me that many people here prefer refurbished over new. The product gets rigorous testing, you get the 1 yr warranty, and you can usually find the newest hardware up for significantly cheaper.
     
  14. jeffuwee thread starter macrumors member

    jeffuwee

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    #14
    ah. thanks for the clarification. i'll probably be buying a refurbished macbookpro then. now. i just gotta plan what peripherals im gonna buy :)
     
  15. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #15
    Of course you realize that a refurb on Apple won't be the as yet to be released machines? If the new laptops refresh in October, it will take a month or 3 for them to show up on the refurb list. I'm just saying....
     
  16. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    Well the current Peryns are already available on the refurb site.
     

Share This Page