Wait for Powerbook vs tax free, free ipod mini?

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
242
14
Boston
Ok, here's my dilemma:
Massachusetts had a tax-free holiday the other day, and I snagged a 15" Powerbook. With this came an iPod mini, so all told I saved about $300.
Now I hear new PB's are due in a few weeks.

I'm wondering how many of you would return the PB, giving up the savings, in hopes that the new PB's will be significantly better?

As far as practicality goes, I could easily get by with a wimpy iBook. I have a beefy G5 for all my heavy lifting (and my lifting is heavy, I animate for a living). I just like the PB's more, I guess it's an aesthetic thing. I'm not poor, but I'm also far from made of money.

So...this is all very subjective I know, but I'm curious what any of you might do in this situation. Thanks!
 

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
136
0
I'm in the same boat. I was about to buy a new pbook to take advantage of the free ipod, but I've decided to wait until I get some solid info about any new pbooks. Since the ipod promo expires on Sept. 24th, I'm hoping there are some leaks/rumors that spill the beans before the actual announcement in Paris.
 

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
173
0
you know, if there IS a PB update, it will most certainly be minor, IMO not worth returning your Current PB and get screwed out of a free ipod mini.
 

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
407
15
Penn's Woods
My last two PowerBook purchases were mis-timed and a new Rev was released within 1-3 months after purchasing each.

If you are happy with the purchase - load up your software and stop looking at forum posts about new Powerbook Rev's...It will drive you to insanity..trust me!
 

lfielder06

Guest
Dec 5, 2004
193
0
I just purchased a new 15" to take advantage of the free ipod deal. I agree that if there are updates which is likely they will only be processor updates and nothing else. Keep what you have it will last you for a long, long time. :)
 

ak004m

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
28
0
I'm waiting to purchase my PowerBook.

For one, when they do get updated, err, if they do get updated, they will most certainly come with a price drop as well so there's a good chance you'll save $100 or so right there.

And doesn't the free iPod Mini go untill Sept 24th? Job's keynote will be on the 20th, right? So correct me if I'm wrong but won't you still have an opportunity to pick up a free Mini if they release updates then also?
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,330
0
Bay Area, CA
ak004m said:
I'm waiting to purchase my PowerBook.

For one, when they do get updated, err, if they do get updated, they will most certainly come with a price drop as well so there's a good chance you'll save $100 or so right there.

And doesn't the free iPod Mini go untill Sept 24th? Job's keynote will be on the 20th, right? So correct me if I'm wrong but won't you still have an opportunity to pick up a free Mini if they release updates then also?
I would NOT expect a price drop. The prices for PowerBooks are fairly stable. They can't drop prices without the consideration that they may have to raise prices again in the future. Raising a price $50 will stop more sales than dropping the price $100 on a product everyone knows is expensive.

With the Intel switch, we might see PowerBooks come down in pricing, but since the last price drop was less than a year ago, I really, really wouldn't count on it.
 

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
298
3
Chapel Hill, NC
rumors say it will only be an upgrade on the 15" and 17" pbooks and some say it will be big and others small, with apple you cannot tell, what is most important is if you like the laptop you have. North Carolina just had a tax free weekend and i bought an ibook 12" with a iPod photo, because i am happy with that(i have a g5) but more importantly is that i am planning on making my next large laptop purchase on a intel pbook that will be more powerful in a year or two, this laptop could just be a median laptop,
dont forget that you will lose approx $150 or more when u return your laptop, which is the standard apple policy(read their sales and return policy) that is a lot of money to swallow just to have the same machine, assuming that u like your laptop, greater resolution is great, but why not wait until a new model comes out next year or the year after next. save ur money

MacKenzie999 said:
Ok, here's my dilemma:
Massachusetts had a tax-free holiday the other day, and I snagged a 15" Powerbook. With this came an iPod mini, so all told I saved about $300.
Now I hear new PB's are due in a few weeks.

I'm wondering how many of you would return the PB, giving up the savings, in hopes that the new PB's will be significantly better?

As far as practicality goes, I could easily get by with a wimpy iBook. I have a beefy G5 for all my heavy lifting (and my lifting is heavy, I animate for a living). I just like the PB's more, I guess it's an aesthetic thing. I'm not poor, but I'm also far from made of money.

So...this is all very subjective I know, but I'm curious what any of you might do in this situation. Thanks!
 

bammac

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
38
0
Melbourne
I say take it back and wait for this great revision, I'm putting my machine on eBay now in anticipation for this widely speculated update.

I am sure it will deliver the 30MHz increase that I desparetly need over soon to be obsolete 1.67GHz machine.

I can't wait to see the xBench results and see how many m/secs it shaves of my Photoshop Splash screen.

It may even give me an extra 1 FPS increase in Doom 3.......to take it to 12FPS!!!!

How dare critics comment that Apple does not deliver on updates. I think that the 1.7GHz machine will surpass our expectations faster than the PowerBooks already blistering FSB.
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,330
0
Bay Area, CA
bammac said:
I say take it back and wait for this great revision, I'm putting my machine on eBay now in anticipation for this widely speculated update.

I am sure it will deliver the 30MHz increase that I desparetly need over soon to be obsolete 1.67GHz machine.

I can't wait to see the xBench results and see how many m/secs it shaves of my Photoshop Splash screen.

It may even give me an extra 1 FPS increase in Doom 3.......to take it to 12FPS!!!!

How dare critics comment that Apple does not deliver on updates. I think that the 1.7GHz machine will surpass our expectations faster than the PowerBooks already blistering FSB.
But wait now! The 30MHz (I'm secretly holding out for 50MHz, though) might squeak out *2* FPS more in games. Also, the battery life should be stellar with these new, low-power chips. I mean, it's not like the LCD and hard drive are the biggest power munchers or something crazy like that.
 

ak004m

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
28
0
wow!.... for supposed 'mac fans' you two hold a lot of animosity towards the company
 

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
The G5/Dual Core/HD Rumors are Wrong

There is NO WAY that they'd upgrade the PowerBook to anything more than a simple, incremental step. Look at the iBook, Mac Mini, eMac, and last PowerBook update as evidence.

Despite all the fanfare, it's obvious that the next big secret will be an iPod release of some kind, or a brand new product. Everyone predicted this at the beginning of the Intel rumors and I'm saying it again: small, barely noticable changes until they wave the Intel wand; then expect some major changes.

For a bunch of die-hard fanatics, people around here have a really short memory. I remember all the bitching and moaning that was going on when Jobs originally announced the Intel switch; everyone here thought that Apple's stock would tank because no one would buy any computers until the switch, yet here we are now, a few months later, and Apples are still selling like hotcakes.
 

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
I bought the same PB at the same time knowing all the rumors, so you know where I stand on your question. Definitely not worth it at this point for you to return.
 

bammac

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
38
0
Melbourne
ak004m said:
wow!.... for supposed 'mac fans' you two hold a lot of animosity towards the company
Mate, you totally misunderstood where we are coming from. What we are saying is that he should keep the machine and enjoy it, stop worrying about updates as he has a great deal as is.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.