Wait for retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Handle, Aug 13, 2014.

  1. Handle macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    #1
    I'm about the purchase the base model 13" MacBook Air. But I looked at the buyers guide and saw the possibility of a retina 12" coming soon.

    Is there any word on that? Am I going to kick myself for buying the current 13" now?
     
  2. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #2
    Buy what you need, when you need it and you will always be happy. :)

    (No new mba this year ;) )
     
  3. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    #3
    Oh yeah? Apparently you've never suffered buyer's remorse like the rest of us :D

    The buyer's guide says "A 12" Retina model is rumored for the fall.". Who should we talk to about having that edited? Getting people's hopes up about new MACs should be punishable by death.
     
  4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #4
    Meh, we might get a new one this year. Broadwell is starting releases this fall, and assuming the MBA will be completely redesigned with a fanless enclosure, an M-series notebook may be a possibility. I think that it will most likely be released early next year, but I wouldn't guarantee it. They could even make an A-series MBA. Again, this is unlikely, but who knows?

    Matt
     
  5. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #5
    if you have buyers remorse than don't buy anything.
    I love all :apple: and there is awlays the next model around the corner.
     
  6. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    #6
    That doesn't make any sense.

    I think you're just being argumentative.

    There's nothing wrong with trying to buy something at the optimal time in order to get the most value out of your purchase.
     
  7. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #7
    you are right that there is nothing wrong with that.
    i just meant that you shouldn't worry about the exact timing.

    I think the best bargains can be had now, since there are discounts on all the macbooks and the next updates will not be world changing.
     
  8. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    #8
    Thanks. You're right about the good deals, I could get the 13" for $800 with Best Buys student discount.


    The reason I am so concerned is because I bought the original iPad mini and loved the size, but it was too slow to run an app I needed and I felt the resolution was bad making it hard to read the small and fuzzy text I had to look at all day. So 2 months later the Retina came out and I was kicking myself, much better resolution and processor. So I sold the original Mini and bought the Retina, which I am typing on right now. If I just did a little research I could have waited the 2 months and saved the hundreds of dollars that I lost buying and selling the original Mini.
     
  9. abbeybound macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2014
    #9
    It isn't very often Apple releases two product updates in a single year. I just bought my Air, and couldn't be happier with it. iPad mini was underpowered, MacBook Air is not. It is a respectable computer that will serve most people just fine for years.

    The other thing with this rumored overhaul; it is usually a good idea to wait a couple iterations for all the kinks to be worked out. The current Air has had this form factor for 4 years, and is very solid.
    The brand new retina without fans in a thinner case with a broadwell or an ARM or a touchscreen or whatever the rumors are, will probably be buggy for a while.
     
  10. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2014
    #10
    I sold my Air a long time ago in hopes that there may be a retina Air coming out. It's not that much of a loss, as the keyboard wasn't working and the battery had gone bad but I couldn't do with looking at the screen much longer.

    I have an iPhone and I'm used to retina and above.

    It's hard to sacrifice thinness for resolution but I think we had already done that in the iPads and iPhones. Even if one doesn't come out, it will be all the better once a new one comes out even if it's years later.

    12 inches also seems a little small
     
  11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #11
    I think 12" is small, too. Hope the new 2015 MBA will be 13" as I do enough scrolling around and 12" would only make it worst. I know they will get more on the retina screen but it will not help if I have to zoom up on it to read it.
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    Intel released the ULV Broadwell chip, so it is conceivable that apple updates their MBA line. Given the popularity of the MBA, and that the new chipset is out. I'd say the odds are rather good to seeing an update.

    As for the OP, wait if you can, your patience should be rewarded :)
     
  13. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #13
    Wondering on this myself - wait for 12" retina vs buy 11" now.

    Thing is - I reckon a hypothetical new 12" retina replacing both 11" and 13" will go up in price - at least compared to the 11".

    But then - 11" refurbs will get cheaper - and I'm not in an immediate rush so I think to wait.
     
  14. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #14
    they released the M-chipset.
    :apple: uses the u-chipset in mbas.
     
  15. rrl macrumors 6502

    rrl

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
  16. sracer macrumors 604

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    u n k n o w n
    #16
    The greatest window of opportunity to buy an MBA 11 was about 2 months ago. If you can, I suggest waiting a few months to see what what (if anything) gets announced... and between now and then there may be another window to buy an MBA at a great discount.
     
  17. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #17
    1. In fall :apple: will announce the new iPad, iPhone and mac mini lines along with the upgrades to Yosemite and iOS8. No retina air! Mark my words on that!

    2. The current mba models are rock solid! No UI stutter and lower battery life that comes with the retina.

    So if you need the retina (for photos and graphics the retina screen is a must!) get the rmbp.
    If you don't, get the mba.
     
  18. mtneer macrumors 68030

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #18
    Not saying good or bad, you've already had this experience once with the iPad Mini. The rumors clock says what it says. So, put two and two together and decide to wait a bit?!
     
  19. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    #19
    The deal was too good to pass up, I got the MBA for $802.
     
  20. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #20
    excellent choice! Enjoy :)
     
  21. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #21
    Nice, that would be hard to pass up. Enjoy your new baby :D
     
  22. JonLa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
    #22
    Still happy with my 2010 Air, though some people here would insist it's slow and eminently replaceable. I'd go to an Apple store, play with an Air - spend some time working with the screen (typing, reading, surfing) then do the same with the 13" Retina Pro, and see what you think.
     
  23. malandra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2003
    #23
    I considered waiting, but I can't imagine that the price point on a retina macbook air would be anything resembling the current air prices--after all, a retina air is really a rMBP, just light and sleeker, right? how would it be possible to sell such an item, with a cpu that is equipped to drive all those pixels, for the same price as a low-res current air?

    I went with a rMBP for now. When a lighter retina laptop that can drive a 4k display is released, i will upgrade...but I'd expect such a beast to be at least $1500.
     
  24. slight32 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    #24
    My thoughts exactly. I've decided to get an 11" air and not bother waiting for the rumored 12" retina. The price will be higher and I imagine it will sit between the current airs and MBP for a year.

    Having said this there is no guarantee of a retina air anyway, I've not heard anything official and as many others have said would there be a point on a machine dedicated to battery life? Even if Broadwell gave battery performance a boost, would it be enough to drive a retina screen and keep the 9/13 hour figures? I suspect that Apple will increase the screen resolutions, but within limits, or just replace the current TN panels with better IPS ones.
     
  25. malandra macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2003
    #25

    Agree completely.

    I had a hard time choose between 11" air and 13" pro, didn't consider anything else. 12" would be my sweet spot, even with a non-retina ips screen, but I don't have time to play the waiting game, there is work to do...
     

Share This Page