Wait for SL 10.6.2 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flanamac, Oct 12, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

I heard on good advice from a pro Mac user that the 10.6.2 update is where to chime in on SL if you haven't purchased or installed it already.

I will tell you that I use Leopard on one machine now and Tiger on another and have no desire to upgrade to something with this many problems, just to say I have the latest OSX running. I do like to keep up, but when I talk to a pro that knows what he is talking about and has a website completely dedicated to helping you get he most from your mac, with daily updates and reviews, and replies to emails that he normally charges for in consulting, I listen.

Well, even when 10.6.2 comes out, I doubt I will upgrade unless an upgrade will speed up my machine 15% or more just by installing. Oh, I already have the max RAM on my machines.

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on 10.6.0 and I recommend SL highly. Sure you can wait another month maybe two to see .2 come out but its a very stable, strong, well performing OS right now. I did avoid and recommend avoiding .1 update that seemed to be rushed out the door - given the volume of problems people reported after updating to .1

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, that's good for you, you're not telling me anything I don't know, but you may never upgrade if you expect to get a 15% increase in speed. CPU upgrades from the previous generations hardly offer that much increase.

5. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for providing a meaningful response.

If you are having such a good experience with SL, why are there so many stated problems, or are these people that just do not know how to install a new OS?

6. Kate. macrumors regular

There are so many stated problems because people who have no problems tend not to post in forums about it. I, personally, had zero problems upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard. But I didn't make a thread proclaiming my seamless transition. People post when they have problems because they need help solving those problems. The rest of us are the silent majority.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Because and I quote from my sales training many many moons ago...

People who have had a good experience generally tell maybe one or two people about it.

People who have had a bad experience tell everyone.

Personally I have had only a couple of minor issues with Snow, that were sorted with some application updates.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Not everybody is using the same software, hardware, peripherals, or trying to do the same things. OSX installations are not homogeneous. Leopard was like this, as was Tiger.

By all means wait for .2 if you feel upgrading will cause you pain, but there are plenty of users quite happily sat in front of 10.6.0 or 10.6.1 day after day already and having no problems whatsoever.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't think many people know what they are doing. I very rarely post a problem because if there is one I can solve it myself in most cases.

Most of the people having issues are those who didn't make sure their software or hardware was compatible and did an upgrade.

Upgrades are never a good idea if you have 3rd party software or hardware, at least without checking it's compatibility first.

10. Greenman85 macrumors regular

SL running near perfect for me. Everything is pretty much instant.

11. celticpride678

I don’t know why so many people are complaining about Snow Leopard or saying wait...

I have had one issue and that is with Expose not working like it should be. That will be fixed in 10.6.2. I don’t care about this issue. It happens once every few days and does not bother me at all.

Other than that, Snow Leopard is running perfectly, its fast, and I’m loving the new features. If you are waiting on purchasing it, don’t. The only word of advice is, make sure your applications are compatible, because that it where most of the issues begin.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because my setup is not identical to your setup. My usage is not identical to your setup.

There are so many variables in the configuration of the computer and how you upgrade (clean vs. upgrade). As noted my printer had a lot of problems with SL. if I had a different printer that was more compatible to SL. I'd be saying how great SL is and no problems but that wouldn't be accurate.

Its a new OS to which apple has seemingly done a very good job (especially given what they changed under the hood) but not all programs/Peripherals/components are experiencing 100% seamless interaction with the new OS.

Check out http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ to see the volume of programs that do (and don't) work with SL. Verify that the apps you rely on are working and if they are, then backup your system and upgrade to SL.

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The OP says he's running Tiger on one of his machines and that says a lot about how paranoid he is. Sure, hold off on Snow Leopard if you have critical mission on your primary machine. But the OP come across a bit like Chicken Little and it trying to pass on his doubts to us. For the record, I have Snow Leopard on my laptop and have no serious issues. On my Mac Pro, I have the latest version of Leopard and it's running flawless. Oh, and I'm a pro too... so there. I plan to update my Mac Pro to Snow Leopard over the holidays when things slow down.

14. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Two reasons. They don't know what they are doing and they have incompatible 3rd party apps and system enhancers. Of course when those don't work as expected, then it's all the fault of Snow Leopard.

15. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I would wait until 10.6.2, at least. Once that is out, I would wait until Apple produces retail DVDs that have 10.6.2 or higher on them. I would not buy a 10.6.0 DVD. For Leopard, Apple made 10.5.0, 10.5.1, 10.5.4, and 10.5.6 DVDs.

10.5.4 was the first really good one. They had to make the 10.5.1 DVDs because 10.5.0 had some major bugs.

I suspect they are not making 10.6.1 discs, but will be making 10.6.2 DVDs because of the massive quantity of bugs fixed, ranging from minor, to serious, to major.

I wait, ever patiently, with new reasons appearing every week. Meanwhile, Leopard is a safe, stable system.

16. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I used Leopard from 10.5.1 and never had any issues. Only reason I didn't use 10.5.0 was that by the time I bought a Mac (with 10.4.11), 10.5.1 was out. I since have purchased an iMac G3 and have acquired older versions of OSX to satisfy my curiosity.

All OS' have bugs, but I find 10.6 to be remarkably stable for such a recent release.

17. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I used it from 10.5.0 and had a few problems, but it helped that I knew about the problems it did have. (One big exception is the problem with Safari not loading web pages randomly... lots of people had that problem and didn't know it was an OS bug.) The app incompatibility I hit was not important to me, and was fixed in 10.5.3, or 10.5.4.

I think Leopard was smoother than Snow Leopard. 10.3 had some major data loss bugs on FW, and panic bugs in general until 10.3.6 or 10.3.7. 10.4 changed a lot of underlying APIs, which caused problems for months. 10.5 had some serious bugs. (Worst being the Time Machine issue with MBR partitioned drives, the password lockout bug after upgrade, and the Finder deleting files which it failed to Move)

10.6 appears to be on track to match 10.3 for data destruction and buggyness.

18. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The problems with SL are mostly from upgrading from what I've read on the forums.
    Apple wouldn't start selling a product that comes preinstalled and wouldn't run on a brand new Mac.
    It's really if you upgrade, migrate from existing drive, or install from Time Machine.

I upgraded my first time without any problems, I did a clean install on my SSD without any problems, although the disk drive didn't eject on the clean install? funny eh, restarted & installed 10.6.1 at the same time, don't know which fixed it.

My thing is, if you don't have two days to fix it, don't try it.
    Particularly if you have deadlines in work or have a lot of third party programs (might not have SL versions yet).

Everything's a risk... if you're me :D