Wait For Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vick77, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, I bought my 2.8ghz MacBook Pro 3 months ago, and I for one am slightly disappointed in the recent speed bumps. Although I understand the real day differences will be negligible.

Anyways I intend on updating to iLife '09 aswell as purchasing iWork '09 ...and would also like to purchase Snow Leopard once it becomes available.

Being a student I need to save every penny I have however I estimate the cost of these software upgrades to be >£150. Would it be wiser to sell my Macbook Pro and just buy it again once snow leopard and iLife '09 are available as standard or would it be cheaper to buy the software as it becomes available?

2. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

Purchase the Box Set

Apple offers a box set that includes all three for like $169 which is a super good deal. I would wait until Snow Leopard is out and buy the box set. And I believe if you check Amazon.com it might be a little cheaper.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It costs £149 in the UK, saving £72 at the current price for the individual items.

4. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

These three include Leopard, iWork 09, and iLife 09. The OP was inquiring about Snow Leopard with iWork 09 and iLife 09. I am waiting on upgrading iLife and iWork now in the hope that Apple runs the same boxed special later only with Snow Leopard.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, and who's to say that there will not be a Snow Leopard Box Set?

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

No one ever said apple was going to release a snow leapord box set. Don't assume. I mean to say that nicely though because I don't want the op to plan on buying something that never comes out

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Good advice. I don't need the upgrades right now, so it doesn't matter to me, but I am not sure about the OP. Still, I hope for a Snow Leopard Box set.

8. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

I wasnt saying that it would

I wasnt saying that it would include snow leopard. I was just saying that if it does in fact include it in the future it might be worth waiting for to save some money. I myself am waiting for the release of snow leopard to see if it is offered in the box set before updgrading to the '09 programs because it will be worth the $$$ saved.

9. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks I wasnt sure what the conversion would be :)

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You're getting rid of a perfect computer in lieu of an OS that isn't being released until June?!

11. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh I realised it isn't really the wisest idea, I'll just use amazon to purchase the box set once / if it becomes available.

12. Leeny182 macrumors newbie

Good Idea

thats probably the best choice unless you got money to blow.

13. Mariusz1977 macrumors member

Mariusz1977

Why does nobody ever answer the question of the OP on here?

If you can sell your macbook for more than your total cost, then it's a good deal. For example, if you were to sell it for $4000, then it's a good deal.

If you can sell it for the equivalent of the cost plus the later upgrade, then it's a break-even.

If less, then not a good deal.

It's simple math.

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yeah I'd wait until Snow Leopard is released and upgrade just the software. It makes no sense to sell the machine.

They'll probably be working out some of the bugs on iLife & iWork anyway so it makes more sense to wait.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This was the main reason I'm still with my MacBook w/ a shot logic board (battery controller). To OP, Leopard is still a pretty kick-arse OS. SL will only make it better. iWork and iLife '08 are still wonderful app suites. If you don't use the apps that often there isn't much incentive to upgrade.