Wait for the fall or buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winstonpurnomo, Jun 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

  1. winstonpurnomo macrumors newbie

    Dec 21, 2015
    I'm headed to college this fall and plan to major in ComSci. Given the programming focus, I've been advised by those at my college to get a Unix laptop, and I'd love to finally jump ship to the Mac with this opportunity.

    With the filing of the new model numbers today, I can expect new MacBooks inbound. I am contemplating either jumping to the 2019 15" Pro, which I can get at a substantial discount after tax refund and student discount abroad, or "refreshing" my current laptop, an Asus Ultrabook, with a new battery and installing Linux for the first programming class, and holding out til whenever these new MacBooks are released.

    I'm thinking I'd like to wait for the 16 inch, but even then wouldn't it make sense to wait for new Airs and 12" MacBooks to see what they have to offer? Thoughts?
  2. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502


    Jul 24, 2014
    There's never a good time to buy. Get one when you need it and move on. Quite frankly most students overbuy for school. The real heavy stuff will be done on workstations (often remotely). I'd value a larger screen more than anything. With that said I got through a few semesters with a 12" MacBook just fine and I don't doubt with an external monitor it would have carried me to my BS just fine.
  3. ipponrg macrumors 65816

    Oct 15, 2008
    Since you have an interim laptop to tie you over, I’d wait till the fall, and go for that battery.

    You don’t need a MBP for your programming classes in general. It really is just a nice to have. I got by the entire CompSci college experience without a laptop and developed in lab Linux workstations and my home PC easy.
  4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
    wait for the 16", install linux on your current laptop. save money.
  5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

    Oct 21, 2012
    If you need one now, buy one. If you don't, don't.

    There will always be something better around the corner.
  6. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    My only advice is to do some research on how well the MBP runs linux. I've had varying levels of success over the years.

    Also, waiting for the fall doesn't buy you anything since Apple just released the MBP, we'll not see anything in 2019. This fall will be the new Mac Pro, and various iDevices.
  7. jerryk, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:24 AM

    jerryk macrumors 601

    Nov 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Are your planning on doing Machine Learning or AI? If so, do not buy a mac.

    Get a notebook that can run Linux and has an Nvidia GPU. ML work require GPU acceleration and that means an Nvidia GPU, not the AMD GPUs found in recent Macs.
  8. nameste macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2016
    Can i also trust you? I will be really upset if the new 16’ released this fall because I just got the 2019 mbp 2days ago
  9. jerryk macrumors 601

    Nov 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
  10. nameste macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2016
  11. Queen6, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM
  12. kp98077 macrumors 6502


    Oct 26, 2010
    get the new 2019 15" is a fine model... will serve you well...
  13. Loki.Mephisto macrumors 6502a


    Feb 12, 2005
    Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    Not sure where the references to Linux come from: the OP stated he's been advised to find a Unix machine. Well, the Mac is a Unix machine. Linux is not (its Unix-like).

    Not that I advise against Linux, but if the requirement is a Unix laptop, the Mac fits the bill just as well as a Linux machine.
  14. Queen6, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM

    Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    My error, then an MBP is appropriate

  15. poorcody macrumors 6502a


    Jul 23, 2013
    If you can wait until at least the September keynote, it might be worth it. Normally it would be nutty to think a refresh would come so soon, but I think the June update was actually delayed and meant to be released back in March. (Tim Cook had said in the previous quarterly earnings call that Intel supply had delayed a MacBook update, and that was probably it.) And with 10nm Intel chips coming, combined with the strong rumors, and now the Eurasian-database hint, I think new portables are coming by year-end.

    MBPs are nice computers for Comp Sci, as you can do Unix, Windows, iOS, and Android tools all in one machine. Virtual Machines run great with the multi-core and blazing SSDs. The ML-stuff as jerryk pointed out is the big black hole now because NVIDA/CUDA is so central to much of it... although in our case, we find running anything but minor ML models on a laptop somewhat dubious anyway -- we use in-house servers or occasionally cloud services for serious modeling.

    Good luck and enjoy and your studies -- Comp Sci is a fun area to study!

Share This Page

14 June 13, 2019