Wait for the iMac upgrade ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pookitoo, Jun 20, 2015.

1. pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

hello everyone , I want to buy a 5k iMac, but I see a update will be possible in a few month ?

But did you have an idea if it's a rumor or if it's safe to wait ? Did you have an idea about the month of the update ?because I can wait for September or October max but I can't wait for the next year !

2. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

Hey!

They will most likely release an update this October.

I wrote this in another thread recently, it might make things a little more clear what to expect.

"
    I just bought the late 2014 Retina iMac. After about two months of contemplating waiting for the new one coming this year, I took decided to buy it now instead.

The new Skylake isn't going to be major for the desktops. The benchmarks that have leaked (that are trustworthy) show around 10% benchmark increase. Put that into real use and there won't be much of a reason to wait. Especially with El Capitans optimizations.

Regarding GPUs. I really don't think Apple will use Nvidia. So if we look at the current "new" AMD cards we see rebrands except for the top cards. With this in mind I really don't see much of an improvement. Tops 10-15%. Again, nothing worth the wait. Sure there are other things such as the new USB etc. but the core performance won't be something to write home about in regards to how much better it will be than the Late 2014 model.

On the other hand I do believe that people who will opt for the high end retina iMac this fall will get much more of an improvement than those who opt for the base model, as the lower models are mostly rebranded cards.

One thing to note though is that the m290X is based on the m7970 (correct me if I'm wrong). So I could be completely wrong regarding the update this fall if there is a whole new chipset etc.

Went a bit off topic but I hope that I somehow answered your question. :)

Edit:
    Read this:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M390X.144432.0.html
    "

Regardless of if you wait or buy it now, I'm sure you won't regret it!

3. pookitoo thread starter macrumors regular

pookitoo

Thank for your reply , maybe I should ask my question in this topic and I've read it before to do my post , but it's more for a release date . Because I know apple, they can wait the next year to do the update, or do an update in October and no availablity before December ... I 've the new retina MacBook, and it's not a powerful machine . I can wait a little and do some light work during the summer and for the iMac, the 15% upgrade it's a good thing (maybe thunderbolt 3 and use type c), for 3 month wait I can , but I'm not sure about the skylake availability in October ?

And you are not a medium so you can't say but I want some point of view ;)

4. nydennis macrumors regular

I did not wait. I have had mine for two weeks and love it. No complaints at all and no regrets.

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'd wait for the next update, especially since Skylake CPU's are coming in the near future.

6. Laflamme macrumors newbie

This is, of course, all speculation, but do you think this refurbished iMac would be a better purchase than the non-refurbished Skylake iMac that would presumably be made available for the same price this autumn ?

7. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

Hard to say, but I would take it in a heartbeat! As long as you're aware that the i7 with the 295X can get a bit warm :)

8. nydennis macrumors regular

I very rarely hear my fan going. It spun up once when I was doing something graphic heavy. I have not heard it since that time.

9. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

Never said it was loud ;) Just said it can get hot!

10. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

Same here.