iPhone SE Wait for the iPhone SE 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyHippopotamus, May 9, 2018.

1. HappyHippopotamus, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018

HappyHippopotamus macrumors newbie

HappyHippopotamus

I have noticed that one Australian electronics retailer JB HI FI, has put the iPhone SE on special, they took a $100 AUD off the price, so is that a sign that iPhone SE is coming soon?

Do electronic retailers normally drop the price before a release? Do they know? Or is it just a coincidence?

2. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

They have been on and off sale for ages in Australia, from telcos too, cheaper than that also.

3. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

The SE is a two year old device and in the US you can find it as cheap as $150. There are rumors there may be a SE 2 coming out soon. The SE though is still a great little phone. I use one daily.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If the rumors are correct and the SE2 is without bezels, I would wait. Unless you can not stand the notch.

5. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Or no 16:9 resolution.

::thumbs down::

6. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

If these SE 2 rumors are true I’m in all the way.

iPhone 5s edges with a display of an X??? An all glass back? All the way in.

7. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I don’t see the appeal of the se? The 6/7/8 are already too small for ME, so the se would be unusable. Isn’t it really hard to type on that tiny keyboard?

8. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Yes but it really depends on how you use your phone too I think. I rarely send text from my 8, I'm more likely to call someone vs sending a text. I suppose if you're a heavy texter or you consume a lot of media with your phone then a larger phone would be better. I mostly use my iPad for those things. I would love a smaller phone.

9. gmm421 macrumors newbie

I would add that there are many people like myself who find the SE to have an appropriate price point for a phone. I paid $129 with Straight Talk last summer. There is no way I will pay more than $200.

10. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

But would you take a 7/7+ over an se if they cost the same?

11. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It’s actually easier to type on the tiny keyboard, there is less physical space on the screen for your fingers to travel. I can type out easily 50-60 wpm but I do type 100-120 on an actual keyboard. But I’ve noticed I am always faster on the SE than a 7+ or some such screen. Smaller = less space to travel.

12. Relentless Power, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because the consumer doesn’t care if the prices are the same, it’s the form factor and size difference that is key to the iPhone SE. Even the 4.7 inch iPhone compared to the 4 inch iPhone SE is a significant difference in the hand when handling it. Consumers that purchase the iPhone SE likely are not opting for the latest technology, they want the comfortability and portability of a small phone.

13. apolloa macrumors G4

Not really, you can make the text bold and it’s not too hard to type on. No worst then a 4.7” iPhone that’s for sure.

To the OP I would wait till WWDC, I highly suspect we will see a new SE phone launched then, all the rumours point to that and as it’s less then a month away you may as well wait.

We could have this all screen front iPhone X style on it!

14. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

If price is the driver and you're happy with the features of the current SE, go for it.

Otherwise, there have been so many rumours and regulatory filings that we are almost certainly seeing the SE2 at WWDC at the very latest.

15. geta macrumors 6502a

Calling the SE unusable is a bit harsh.. which phone did you use before iP6 \ 6Plus came out?

And with a bit of muscle brain training you can get used to anything... ;)

16. Misuteri macrumors member

Misuteri

It’s all about the size. Just as an addition to the “rumors” of supply chain issues Sprint is no longer selling 2 colors of the SE according to their website. Are they sold out, restocking or not able to restock. Usually when options start disappearing from retail and don’t get refreshed a new item is coming soon. This is a great indicator.

Now that iPods are history I want an SE 2 as my next player more than a web/text device. Nice that it can do Pandora give directions etc. But I have an iPad for more than that.

Oh and to get rid of my flip phone.

17. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I think it is size and price point. For some it is size. For others the affordability is a great way into the Apple ecosystem if you don’t have $6-700 to drop on a new device.

I think sometimes people forget the iPhone SE is literally the same as an iPhone 6S, but for $150. Ibe purchased 2 or 3 while on sale for $99. The internals of the iPhone 6S, for $99? It’s Apple’s best deal.

18. apolloa macrumors G4

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

20. apolloa macrumors G4

It’s Apple, they’ll do something. Rumours said the notches would shrink this year so it can still be full Face ID, perhaps the new SE will launch alongside the 11 and they all have new improved and smaller Face ID?

21. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So you’re advocating that Apple will launch four iPhones in the fall? Doubtful. I don’t think Apple is going to allow a possible refreshed SE to take away from the 6.1/5.8/6.5 iPhone models. If an iPhone SE does not launch by WWDC 2018, then it’s highly inlikely at all for 2018, just as Ming Kuo predicted.

23. Thaddeuz macrumors member

I bought a iPhone SE half a year ago. I regret it. Its way too small. It hurts my eyes when I concentrate to long on the screen. I never use it at home. And its horrible when typing because of the small keyboard.

I wont buy the iPhone SE 2 either.

I am 100% it wont be a full display with face unlock and a notch. That would make the price go up to 600$. And compete with the current iPhone 7/8 sales. Use commen sense pls.

Apple wont shoot his own leg.

24. Julienne macrumors member

Julienne

I love my iPhone 7 but I'm not at all against the smaller sizes.
    Bring on a new 4" shiny! I’m looking for a secondary phone.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Considering phones need to be secured due to financial things like Apple Pay, it’s either going to have the full Face ID or a home button with Touch ID.