Wait for the job or use uni discount.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeroh, May 7, 2011.

1. Zeroh macrumors member

So my older brother is getting a job at apple (called in for second interview) and i was wondering if i should wait for him to get the job or use the uni discount to get a new Macbook Pro, is the employee discount much better then uni discount.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If by uni discount you mean education, I have to believe the employee discount is greater. However, is it just as restricted?, i.e., one desktop, one laptop per year. If so does your brother mind using up half of his yearly allotment?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

The employee discount is less than education, unless at very specific times or the year or just after product refreshes where prices for the older machines drop significantly(as per a friend of mine that works there). Buy with the education discount.

4. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

yes this is no problem, and i think the uni discount is 14% would the employee one be around 20% ?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Wow. That is surprising given that the Edu discounts are no big deal -- online retailers often sell for less or at Edu price.

6. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

intresting, i really thought that it was 25% for employee, well £1600 isn't bad for a macbook

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Depends on where you are.

I work for a major US corporation that has agreements with Apple. Our employee discount is 8%. From what I've seen the EDU discounts are running 10%

8. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

im in the UK and the HE education discount is about £289 pounds ! (1640 from 1929) its roughly 15%

9. Vurius macrumors newbie

A second round Apple interview doesn't mean you'll automatically get the job. Of the three people I know who have interviewed, one got a job offer after two interviews, one got a job offer after three, and one did not after two.

As far as the discounts go, the Apple Employee Discount is significantly better than the Higher Education discount, but it is also more limited in terms of how many a year and who it can be given to. From what I've heard, the more significant discount is only really meant to be used on the employee's personal machine, and there's a different (although still pretty good) discount for friends and family.

I'd wait to see if your brother gets the job, and then see what he can get you.

10. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

ofcourse its not guaranteed, nothing in life is guaranteed but we are hopeful and what would i get off from £1940, if its close to £1500 i will wait.

11. dslrjunky macrumors regular

i think waiting for both is fine unless university discount is to expire sooner than when your brother is to get the job.. because honestly i would wait it out i mean there's no downside to it unless like i said uni discount is to expire soon...

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I don't know about how Apple store employee discounts work in the UK, but for the US, every employee per fiscal year gets 3 x 15% discounts for friends and family and one 25% discount. Edu discount for US is roughly 10% (give or take) for most mac computers.

Corporate discount for various companies range for 4-8%, 8% usually for the pro line computers.

Employees can also buy display items (the ones they demo in the store) for roughly 35% once the store does a changeover.

13. ianma macrumors newbie

Does the employee discount sale include 3 year AppleCare?

Buying from the HE shop online includes a free upgrade of the AppleCare to 3 years, so it is worth considering this in your decision.

14. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

For the US, nope, but it is discounted.

15. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

well 25% would be the machine costing about 1500 pounds, its like 140 pounds difference between the two discounts, i really am confused now.......

16. 2ndname macrumors member

I would wait it out. The edu discount will still be available unless you are graduating prior to your brother finding out what the exact discount percentage that he will be receiving.

17. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm not exactly in uni ;) my brother is and he's graduating this year so I dunno and I really wanna get my first mac !

18. akonikui macrumors regular

Uni discount on AppleCare is better than the employee discount - seriously. For computers, employee discount is better.

19. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I have that, too. For the laptop I bought next month it was a 9% discount, though. They gave it to me in the store with little convincing I was entitled to it on my part.

My advice to the OP is that if he needs to laptop now, then get it now with the Edu discount. If he wants to wait and see what happens with his brother and there's no time constraint, the go that way. I personally would go with the bird in the hand.

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

In the UK, HE Students get a 3 year warranty as standard when they buy online (NOT in store). They don't need to buy Applecare at all. Add that into the equation and education discount is very good!

21. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

Okay so he's been called for the 2nd interview on Monday *fingers crossed* so ill think I'll wait till then an if he does get it the job a 1500 MacBook Is looken viable