Wait for the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jquest68, Mar 1, 2017.

  1. jquest68 macrumors member

    jquest68

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2016
    Location:
    Georgia
    #1
    i have the iPad Air 2 and was gonna trade it in for the iPad Pro, but there was rumor that the new iPads will be coming out soon. The conference will be out in March, is this true? Should I wait or just go and buy the iPad Pro now?
     
  2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #2
    If you search the main page articles on MacRumors, there have been recent rumors of new iPads expected to debut in March. A 10.5 iPad being one of them. The March KeyNote has not been confirmed as of yet.

    I Would wait a few weeks to at least determine if the KeyNote exists or if the iPads debut.
     
  3. sorcery macrumors regular

    sorcery

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Location:
    Ring of Fire
    #3
    Definitely wait. You will be able to buy a 2017 model, or a deeply discounted 2016.
     
  4. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

    IPadNParadise

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #4
    It's according to what you use your ipad for. I upgraded from an Air 2 to an IPP 9.7" and can see NO benefits for my uses. I do a small amout of photo editing (not in Photos) and may upgrade again if Apple really does put out a 10.5" bezeless with upgraded processor and/or an Apple pencil because....well, just because I like that size. But again, look at your uses since that Air 2 is a really good device.
     
  5. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #5
    There are rumors aplenty.

    If you can wait...wait.
     
  6. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

    Tapiture

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #6
    I got my IPP 9.7 for 450 bucks at BestBuy with their 150 off sale a few weeks ago. That means it was only 50 dollars more than an air 2 and it's CERTAINLY worth it. Much faster, compatibility with keyboard and pencil, and the stereo speakers alone are probably worth the 50 dollar upgrade. Not to mention True Tone. A good deal like that will probably resurface after the new ones are released, so I would wait.
     
  7. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

    AceFernalld

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #7
    Definitely wait. There are many indications of a March event with upgraded iPads.
     
  8. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #8
    Definitely wait if you can. I have the iPad mini 3 and want to upgrade to an iPad Pro as well. So I'm going to wait. It's March already, so Apple should be announcing the iPad event date soon. If you can wait a few weeks I think it'll be worth it. You'll be able to buy a brand new iPad Pro with all the latest features, or one of the current IPad Pros at a nice discount. Win win.
     
  9. fokmik macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
  10. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #10
    Yes, wait at least until St. Patrick's Day. If new iPads aren't announced by then, go down to the local pub and get drunk on Guinness. Then stagger into an Apple Store and sing Irish songs until they kick you out. By the time you get over your hangover new iPads may have been released.
     
  11. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    #11
    wait wait wait.

    New iPads for sure. Probability there will be new iPads in March is most likely around 90%

    Not only that, but apparently there will actually be something a bit different, which is always nice :)
     
  12. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #12
    Air 2 is very powerful and very beast you don't need a new iPP for now.
     
  13. jquest68 thread starter macrumors member

    jquest68

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2016
    Location:
    Georgia
    #13
    Thanks gang, I would like to use the iPad for drawing. My sister got me the iPen for Christmas and she didn't know that it didn't work on the iPad Air so it just sitting there. So I'll wait and see about the new iPads or maybe wait till there's a sale at BestBuy for the old model of iPP's. Thanks again.
     
  14. Count Blah macrumors 68040

    Count Blah

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    US of A
    #14
    Definitely wait. You can either snag the new iPad, or get the 1st gen at a steeper discount.

    Either way, you will be happy!
     
  15. yubakram macrumors member

    yubakram

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    Location:
    Phoenix
    #15
    Have an IPP 12.9" 128GB WiFi only that we can return for full refund. Cost $520 plus tax .. do we keep or send back and wait for the updates?
     
  16. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #16
    If you can return your current 12.9" IPP for a full refund, I'd think about doing so asap. In all likelihood, the 12.9" update will come with the true tone display & better camera that the 9.7" got. It will also most definitely come with the newer faster more energy efficient A10X chip. Not to mention any other rumored updates.

    Either way, I'd return it. Cause even if you decide in a few weeks that the updates to the iPad Pro are not all they are cracked up to be...you can repurchase your current IPP at a substantial discount.

    But if the updates to the upcoming iPad pros blow you away and you decide to buy one, you would have already returned your current IPP before it drops in price and can immediately upgrade to one of the newer ones without worry.

    So It's win win.

    Normally, I wouldn't always tell people to upgrade....but since you bought your IPP so close to an update, it makes total sense. Return it for a full refund, and just wait a couple weeks for the new ones to be announced.
     
  17. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #17
    I'd wait, it's too close not to. I saw something that the new ones would be announced at the March event, but might not ship until summer. I'd still wait, even if the summer ship data is correct.
     
  18. igluck00 macrumors newbie

    igluck00

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2017
    #19
    Unfortunately, I have a feeling we may be waiting a while yet. Don't know about where you all live, but in the DC area many Best Buy stores and all of the Apple Stores have restocked 12.9 models.
     
  19. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

    Jnesbitt82

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location:
    Ohio
    #20
    I don't think it will be a very long wait. I believe the Apple event will happen toward the end of March with some models shipping immediately while others will have a later release date of a month or two. The only source I know of that predicted an end of year release was digitimes, and they aren't exactly reliable when it comes to Apple rumors.
     
  20. ACG12, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

    ACG12 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2015
    #21
    I was in the same dilema as you. I went ahead and sold my Air 2 and bought the ipp 9.7 because Target had it for $150 off. Sold my air 2 64gb for $300 only paid $150 out of pocket for 128gb ipp 9.7
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    While true, I took the plunge. Mine was about to be out of AC+ warranty and one drop/cracked screen would = more to repair than worth.
     
  21. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 28, 2011
    #22
    Picked up an iPad Pro 9.7 at Costco. They have 90 day returns on electronics so I figure I can use it until the new iPad are released.
     
  22. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #23
    Be careful don't break it or dent it during 90 days.
     
  23. jquest68 thread starter macrumors member

    jquest68

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2016
    Location:
    Georgia
    #24
    Ok, since the new iPads were basically to replace the iPad Air should I just go out an buy the pro? I know there was rumours of a new 10.5 size coming out but not sure. If I buy the pro will the new one, if it does come out, be so much of a change?
     
  24. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Tempe, Arizona
    #25
    I just bought a 9.7 pro, I say go for it. Who knows when Apple will release a new one, fall. Or not even until next year. The iPad line doesn't get updated much anymore because people upgrade less often.
     

Share This Page