Wait for the new Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wfoster, Feb 20, 2009.

1. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I am going to be buying a Mac Mini but I'm not sure if I really want to have the new one that is going to 'supposedly' released soon with Atom inside. I'm not a big Atom fan. Would it be best to buy a Mac Mini now?

Wesley

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only confused people are saying Atom. ;)

Informed people are saying "MacBook minus the screen".

The Mac Mini will probably have the same specs as the MacBook.

3. wfoster thread starter macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Well I'm having mixed feelings about this buy.

Shall I wait or shall I splash out now on one. I'M REALLY NOT SURE. :p
    I appreciate your quick reply.

Wesley

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I say wait for the new models unless you have to have a new computer.

If you wait, you'll get far better hardware than what is out now, and if you don't like the new one, get the old one (now current) for less!

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

WAit , the current offering is very outdated , the new one will more than likely have the internals of the current macbook as mentiond by TallestSkill.
    I also doubt that Apple would use the Atom .

6. wfoster thread starter macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I think I will wait for the new Mac Mini. Thanks for helping me make my mind up. :)

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Wait. I remember around this time last year, I came on these forums and everyone told me that they would be refreshed "soon". A year later and no update. These machines are OLD. Apple would be complete idiots to include an Atom chip inside a DESKTOP machine. Like mentioned above, it's likely to be a MacBook in desktop form(2/2.4GHZ, DDR3, 9400M).

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

They'd also be complete idiots to be selling a computer basically the same as it was in 2006 with the exception of the small step from core duo to core 2 duo... oh wait. In 3 years all they've done is move it from 32-bit to 64-bit which means absolutely nothing considering its a budget computer that can't support 4+GB of ram anyways.

9. Drumerdude macrumors member

I would wait to get your mini. I would think that they would still be selling the old mini for a month or two, just like the 17 in macbook pro, or macbook. I also highly doubt that apple would use the atom processor.

10. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

Wait or shop eBay.

I would almost never buy a "new" computer that has barely been upgraded in three years. The only exception would be if I couldn't afford anything better and absolutely needed a computer.

But I'd rather shop eBay than buy a Mac mini from Apple now. The situation is pretty disgusting.

11. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Buy a Mini from Apple right now so you can maximize the amount of profit Apple makes off of you.