Wait for updated mbp?

ZCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
11
29
I have obviously read the same rumors as everyone else, but still looking for opinions.

Currently have an older iMac and a 2013 MacBook Air w/256 ssd. I need more hard drive space for HD video editing.

Debating between a 27" iMac with the 2tb fashion drive, or a 15" mbp w/256 ssd then getting an external thunderbolt drive for file storage.

I don't need it urgently. I don't foresee any breakthrough updates with the next revision, and doubt the processor bump will affect me a whole lot. I just would like to be able to drive an HD display with it eventually.

So... Current high end iMac, current mbp, or wait for new mbp?
 

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
552
468
Get a time capsule while you wait. If your 2013 macbook has wireless AC, you can transfer a gigabyte to the time capsule hd in seconds.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,857
30,381
Boston
Debating between a 27" iMac with the 2tb fashion drive, or a 15" mbp w/256 ssd then getting an external thunderbolt drive for file storage.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm leaning towards the iMac just because I get a larger display. Plus my mobility needs are being met with my SP3. It can't hurt to wait however and I also echo the other people's sentiment. If you can wait as you stated that's probably the best bet.
 

ZCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
11
29
My MacBook Air is from June 2013 (has thunderbolt).

I actually went out and bought the high end 15" mbp. I am less than impressed. It honestly seems laggy compared to my MBA. Of course manipulating HD files is quicker, but not THAT much quicker. For me, definitely not worth $2,500. Getting returned this week (I truly had every intention of keeping it and didn't just buy it to "test it out" then return it).

I am also now leaning toward the 27" iMac with 2tb fusion display. Such a gorgeous screen.