Wait, I don't fully understand (pricing)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cclloyd, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So there is no retina 13"? Using past patters, might there be one later?

And so the new retina MBP will cost as much as a 17" baiscally? I won't be able to buy it at the current 15" price of $1799?

After all that, for moderate-light gaming, photo editing, HD video, and lots of airplay, would I be better off with the 13" current one, or (since I wouldn't settle for a less than awesome 15") the new 15"?

2. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

Eventually yes the retina line will completely replace the standard MacBook pros but that will probably a year or two down the line. The 15 inch model will be a lot better for gaming with the nVidia graphics so it depends on how "moderate" your gaming is, everything else the 13" would be fine and I agree I wouldn't be able to stomach buying a non retina 15" now

3. cclloyd, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

A year or two as in by around this time next year (When I graduate and get a new mac as a gift :p)

Moderate-light gaming for me:
    -No FPS like CoD or anything like that
    -civilization series
    -Portal 2
    -Assassins creed maybe
    -GoF2
    -Emulators (easy peasy right? Even gamecube?)
    -Probably a lot of game center games
    -Lord of the Rings Conquest
    -Minecraft

And yea. Just knowing that there is a better option of my exact model would stay in the back of my mind. Also since I'm very visually oriented, the retina display is a can't-live-without for my iPhone/iPad. I can barely stand my iPad 2 anymore :p

Anyway, you think it could handle those games, photo editing with PS (including 3D), and streaming netflix a lot in HD? (taking about the 13")

Edit: Also just found out that as a student, I would save $200 on the retina book pro as opposed to only $100 on the current 13" MBP.