Wait. I don't understand this at all! Typo?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iParis, Mar 21, 2009.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Why is the 32GB option for ram priced at $6,100?!
    The 16GB is only like $500.
    How does the price like multiply by 12, plus some, with just having twice as much memory.
    I could have sworn that before the update the 32GB ram option was a lot cheaper.

EDIT: Credit goes to ironspider for pointing this out to me.

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

your welcome for pointing this out. give credit where credit is due

3. nicolapo macrumors newbie

It's not a typo. If the Mac Pro had 16 RAM slots, you wouldn't have this problem, 2GB modules being affordable. Having only 8 slots, you need 4GB sticks in each slot to achieve 32GB RAM - and those happen to be pricey!

Buying RAM from Apple has never been cheap anyway. If you really want 32GB, either wait for the 4GB prices to drop (could be months or years), or get them elsewhere. OWC has them for just under 4k$.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Because no one has 4GB unbuffered ECC DIMMs at this time. OWC have the same source as Apple.

4GB registered DIMMs are a lot cheaper right now (Crucial: $561 for 12GB Kit), but it hasn't been confirmed if they work. Expect the prices to come down a lot once Nehalem is officially released.

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

I read recently that OWC hopes to have a much cheaper source for the 4GB modules soon. OWC prices for the 4GB modules are only about 20% cheaper than Apple [versus the 80% difference that we have seen for some modules in the past]

6. Fomaphone macrumors regular

where'd you read that?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Could also be because they've been in mass production for about, oh, three weeks as opposed to over a YEAR.