wait, I still have to have a modem to get internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macswitcha2, Feb 5, 2012.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I have airport extreme and just got Xfinity so why is Xfinity not showing up on my networks? I thought that all i needed was airport extreme and not pay Comcast for their modem?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Incorrect. Modems are always required in order to access the internet. Your modem decodes the incoming signal from the ISP from coaxial cable (or whatever) to something your router/computer can use. It also encodes the outgoing signals for transmission.

How are you even connecting your Airport Extreme to the incoming signal line?

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

An Airport extreme is an Apple branded router, you still need a modem, whether it is a dial-up mode, DSL modem or cable modem to get an internet signal... plug that into you airport extreme to distribute the signal to more than one computer.

You don't have to pay Comcast for their modem per say, you could go buy your own cable modem and not rent one but you still have to pay Comcast ( or another internet service provider) in order to get access to the internet.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Also, the OP must ensure that the modem that he buys conforms to the standard that this Comcast franchise uses. This will be either DOCSIS 2.0 or DOCSIS 3.0. The sales staff at the store where the modem is purchased will help him with this.

After his purchase, the OP must telephone his local Comcast office and give them the MAC address and the serial number of the modem. This information should be clearly labeled on the case of the modem.

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for this info. Any one using Xfinity can recommend a modem?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I use a motorola surfboard purchased at Best Buy for my Comcast. No issues at all