Wait just a minute!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pink∆Floyd, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If the iPad just launched in Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Malaysia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Sweden, and Taiwan then why would Apple release the next generation in the first quarter of 2011?

Does that make sense, I say, no, it doesn't.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Getting rid of as much iPad 1 stock before launching worldwide with the iPad 2 sometime in the spring.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yup, they got a warehouse full of stuff they gotta move.:D

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

1. Clear inventory
    2. ?
    3. Profit

Not really rocket science ;)

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's taken them 7 months to roll out the iPad; odds are they'll do iPad 2 on a rolling basis as well.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Probably because they're not updating the iPad until Q3 2011. ;)

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Oh, one other thing. These people are not in the Third World, they have access to the Internet too and know that there's a likely update March/April. Also, I was in a few of these countries over the Summer and there were already grey market iPads in stores. The day I purchased my iPad (release day in the US) there was a European pilot in line behind me who was picking up a couple because they weren't expected to be released over there for a while.

In any case, as I said earlier, it's very possible that the next iPad won't be released there at the same time it comes out here.

8. gatearray macrumors 65816

For the last time, there is no warehouse full of iPad stock to "clear out".

iPads being sold in the Apple Store today were manufactured in the last few days to a week ago, check your serial numbers and the +90% battery they ship with.

:)

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No, but there is an accumulated supply of components to use up.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Apple contracts for certain quantities but doesn't then build up stores of them. It's as much a "just in time" operation as auto manufacturing. This is not a venture where anybody gets stuck with warehouses full of anything (other than cash).

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

As business point of view, it makes a lot of sense that apple is doing this. More iPad they sell, more profits they will have. Sooner the better. Those of you who wish to wait for iPad 2, then wait. There are people who don't want to wait. iPad 2 doesn't have any solid date. iPad 1 does.

12. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

seems logical, but wouldn't those people get pissed when they find out that the next gen iPad is supposed to come out in Jan 2011

13. jamone13 macrumors regular

Welcome to Apple world. Every year this type of thing happens with Apple's product lines, and yes some get pissed, but most don't really know, and are thrilled they have one now.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Who said that? It's much more likely to come out in March/April.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why would they be pissed? They're getting what they want now??? Seems to me they'd be stoked to have an iPad. Hell I'm not getting mine until christmas morning(darn my stingy girlfriend) and I can give a big poo as to the iPad 2 or whatever, I just want an iPad to make my life my portable for work and pleasure.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

They're not living in a hole. They have Internet access just like you and me. And from my experience they're even more adept at using it.

Also, there is no new iPad coming in January.

17. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

To piss off those who have waited 8 months for Apple to finally release the iPad in their country?
    Makes one wonder why Apple do not value all their (potential) customers equally...

How about this for iPad 2?
    * Release it in Europe in April 2011.
    * Then finally release it in the US in late November 2011...

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Aside from general supply and distribution issues they need to get wireless partnerships in place (and any regulatory clearances).

19. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think releasing a product in the EU is just as easy as in the US, thanks to EU standardisation regulations. I therefore approve of the iPad 2 release in Europe first idea. (disclaimer: probably because I will be living in Europe in a fortnight)

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

If the EU was really standardised then I would have expected prepaid T-Mobile or Vodaphone SIMs to work from one country to the next. Still not there yet.

21. el-John-o macrumors 65816

People were also convinced the iPad was going to run on Snow Leopard, and I'm sure there were a couple of months worth of production at launch, otherwise they certainly would have run out (assumptions not based on data, I admit).

iPad has got to be one of the most rumor-filled devices out there (+1 for Apple free viral marketing). I think, just like iPad 1, iPad 2 will surprise us. I know there are 'sources' saying that it won't last the usual '12 month cycle', but I'm still not buying it. I'm also sure that there would be a good couple of months between release announcement and launch, which puts most or at least a good part of Q1 out of the question.

$0.02 YMMV

-John

22. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Of course Europe isn't fully homgenous in all areas yet, but when it comes to the introduction of a new electric device it is very straightforward from my understanding as it needs to meet the same standards in every EU country, and not wildly different ones for each region (which would obviously delay that).

Furthermore, you use of the prepaid SIMs analogy is flawed as you are comparing a service with a good - services have regional limitations for implementation which are considerably more complex. Vodafone Germany is not the same company as Vodafone Italy, they are seperate and unique entities with the same parent company. Each one has distinct licence agreements for infrastructure use and is seperately accountable to the government in which it operates (hence them being individual entities, which makes accountability more transparent). Therefore, to use the service in one country you form an agreement (i.e. contract) with the provider in that country only. It is up to the company with whom you have contractually obliged yourself (and yes, buying a prepaid SIM card enters you into such an obligation) to form relationships with sister companies in other countries (like Tre and 3 mobile have done), and not the EU. A good does not require much in the way of service, apart from in the event of a warranty issue, and this is easily resolved through the use of distributors.

23. sotorious macrumors 6502a

They are a company Money First, the people second. Its like that with every company.

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Even if Apple does release a 2nd gen iPad in January, it won't likely be for sale in these countries until June or July.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

My point with the SIMS is that Apple needs to get support for 3G from each EU country and as you acknowledge each one is its own entity. So regulatory approval is one hurdle and 3G support is a different hurdle entirely.