Wait on AppleCare?

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
The closer I get to purchasing (and where) the more questions occur to me, such as should I wait on the AppleCare until the 14 day window passes in case I'm unhappy with my purchase? If you buy AppleCare at the time of purchase and return the laptop are you refunded the cost
of the AppleCare.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
You can wait for as much as a year to get Apple Care. It makes even more sense than 14 days, because that way if something happens to your computer during the initial warranty period that is not covered by warranty (i.e. theft, irreparable accidental damage), AppleCare would have been useless anyway, and will not be refunded.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
You can wait for as much as a year to get Apple Care. It makes even more sense than 14 days, because that way if something happens to your computer during the initial warranty period that is not covered by warranty (i.e. theft, irreparable accidental damage), AppleCare would have been useless anyway, and will not be refunded.
Excellent point and one that hadn't considered!

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
The only concern is phone support is only for the first 90 days, so waiting 90 days may be the best approach.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Haven't ever had to use phone support, so I just don't put as much value in that.
For me it's come in handy a lot for when I am at wits end to troubleshoot an issue. By itself it made my decision to purchase the extended warranty all the more worthwhile. But to each it's own, certainly.

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
Haven't ever had to use phone support, so I just don't put as much value in that.
I like doing troubleshooting and starting my case via phone support before going into an apple store. That way I have a consistent POC.

That's considering that we're not talking about an obvious issue/fix, at which time I'll just head straight to the Genius Bar.