Wait on Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, May 15, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I never thought I would be asking this, but should I wait on an updated Time Capsule? I currently have a backup system working that can save me if my Mac suddenly dies on me right now, but it's running a little short on space, and according to Wiki, iterations of the TC have appeared roughly once every year as well, with the last one popping up in June 2011.

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Search for NAS solutions on the forum, for the same price as a TC u can get a 2TB NAS with RAID1

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

However, you forget that a TC also has a router, while the NAS doesn't. I'm aiming for convenience, so that's why I'm considering a TC.

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

The price does sting but I like the convenience of the easy interface and the fact that I don't have to remember to do incremental backups. If price is a sticking point, get a recent model from the refurb bin.

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have a 2 TB TC that I use obviously as my server and to back up my iMac onto. I use my old internal HDD in an enclosure to back up my MBP. I think the TC is an awesome device. It really makes everyones least favorite computer task completely painless. Ill be honest before time capsule I never back up anything because CD/DVD took literally days and back then external HDD were no where near as cheap as they are now. I would say if you need it buy one you won't be disappointed at all.

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I hear you, but the NAS does have DNLA and SMB and and and... I use it to stream media to every media enabled device in my house, iPad's, Apple TV's, PS3's etc etc, the TC doesn't have all that and besides, a router costs peanuts these days.

3TB TC £399

3TB Syno DS212J £260 + wifi router D-Link gigabit £40 = £300

Plus with the NAS you can add a 2nd drive for RAID1 redundancy (I've had issues with hard drives failing in the past, not fun)

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm interested in this as well. I have a feeling my old Airport Express needs to be replaced, and I definitely need to do a better job of backing up. I'm hopeful some rumors will be popping up, but the wait will kill me. :)

8. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Well...I do not know whether NASes cost cheap in England, but searching the model you recommend with a 3TB gives me a price that is way too close to the 3GB TC here. 555,000 won to 599,000 won, or just under 300 pounds to 323 pounds. If I add a gigabit and wireless-n router to this, I might as well get the TC and SAVE money. Besides, while there are cheap routers, I know that cheap routers will buckle under stress.

Granted, the TC does not support RAID, but I want to use the TC to hold backups of my Macs, not documents or other data separately. As such, this is my safety line should someone steal my PB or my latest iMac just...dies. This is definitely possible, but I dare say that my iMac, PB AND TC will not crash altogether simultaneously.

Also, the only media I have at home are MP3s, so streaming isn't much of a deal.

9. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Go for it. The last update in June 2011 only had two changes: 1. dropped the 1GB option and added the 3GB option; 2. changed the WiFi card from Marvell to Broadcom. I expect any update in 2012 to be just as minor.

Any update to support 802.11ac (successor to 802.11n) is probably 2 years away.

As was noted above, you might even be able to pick up a refurb to save some money.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

11. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Okay, my timing may be off, but I don't think you will see any Apple products that will take advantage of it until next year. I don't expect any of the Mac updates this year to include 802.11ac support. Earliest iOS client might be next iPad in early 2013, with Macs to follow later in the year? Maybe an off-cycle TC refresh in early 2013 to coincide with the 2013 iPad?

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sigh I know. Apple moves to the beat of its own drum.

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

If apple, as rumoured, drop ethernet on the new macbook pro's, i think they will add 802.11ac to their laptops and therefore release a Airport Extreme / Time capsule to co-incide with this release.... makes sense....

14. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

That's still relatively new tech if you look at Apples past introduction timeframe so I highly doubt they'll be dropping the ethernet support just yet.

15. LaWally macrumors 6502a

16. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

True but for Wifi Apple has always been on the cutting edge, they even intro'd cards that had N disabled and then charged for an enabler.

They implemented N without it being ratified and also were one of the first to implement g widespread before it was properly adopted.

18. 3rdparty macrumors newbie

Yeah but the only officially supported way to back up wirelessly via Time Machine is to a Time Capsule. Using TM wirelessly to 3rd party NAS' is very unreliable (may appear to work fine for weeks/months but then will fail and need to be restarted from scratch or fixed): http://pondini.org/TM/2.html

I tried this method for a while (to various NAS) but have determined that the only way to reliably and consistently back up via a wireless network is to purchase a Time Capsule.

19. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Or do a once a month backup with an external usb/firewire drive, thats what I do, just in case, had no problems with the NAS TM so far.

20. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

This is not true. While AC is not finalized, other manufactors have started to come out with AC models. Apple came out with 802.11 N in their devices before the spec was finalized. Expect them to do the same again.

Again the poster will need devices that support 802.11 AC

21. LaWally macrumors 6502a

If you kept reading you would have seen that I modified that quote somewhat in subsequent posts, but Apple just announced new MBAs and MBPs and AEs and none of them have support for 802.11ac ... still 802.11n. So even the so-called new Pro laptop is still stuck on "n".

802.11ac won't come from Apple until next year (2013). If they were going to do it this year, the first Pro machine update of 2012 would have had it.

22. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Once again not true. Apple built in hidden 802.11n support on devices right as 802.11n came out.

Check this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2447

It's an enabler that allows for 802.11n to be "unhidden" from machines. There was a fee to download it that went towards the royalty of using an IEEE standard.

I realize this is a rumors website but make sure you don't rewrite history with misinformation.

23. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Where did I say anything in my quoted post about Apple not using 802.11n support on devices right as 802.11n came out? Nowhere. In fact the major point of my post was that there is not official 802.11ac support in any Apple device at present, even the just released MBPr, which was touted as the future of laptop computing.

If there is something official on Apple's website you can show me about current support for 802.11ac, hidden or otherwise, I will stand corrected. If not let's just end this.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

25. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Thats the point. Apple didn't say their notebooks had 802.11n until a couple months after they started being sold. SMH