Wait or Buy Now? Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sako94, May 10, 2008.

1. sako94 macrumors regular

Ok i might get a used iphone (8gb) tomarrow for 250
    What do you think should i wait until graduation to get a brand new one(June 26)?
    Or should i wait till the new iphone 3G comes out?
    what do you think ? Will the new version iphone be even worth it? And About how long will i have to wait till the new iPhone comes out?

Please need some help here! thanks :apple:

2. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

All you might miss out on, is 3G. In reality, you could buy that phone now and sell it in June if you want to for most of what you paid for it. I'm around WiFi a lot of the time, so I will use that the most. You're still going to get to upgrade to version 2. And you are still going to get to buy native iPhone apps. It really all boils down to 3G. So you have to ask yourself. How often do you just have to watch YouTube while away from WiFi?

Personally, I don't see 3G as a huge big deal. It's a nice new feature, but the most important feature is the 2.0 upgrade and the ability to buy all that great software coming down the line. And you can do both of those regardless of the 3G.

Alex

3. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

but do you think that we will be able to jailbreak the new iphone that comes out? that is one of my fears that it jail break wont work which makes the iphone really cool i unno what do you guys think?

4. meagain macrumors 68030

5. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

They seem to be getting pretty good at Jailbreaking. The broke the 2.0 beta pretty darn fast. I don't see any reason why they won't be able to break the release.

Alex

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would wait until the WWDC in June. Its only a month away, and they may announce the 3G iPhone then.

7. theRick119 macrumors member

I'm in the processing of waiting to hear what else the 3G phone will have to offer. I'm in the market for two phones, the other for my wife, and if 3G is the only addition I'll start bargain shopping for her.

If there are other big announcements like stereo bluetooth (huge for us as we will use the iPod functions as much or more than the phone) then we'll both be grabbing the new version.

$250 is a good price and I'd recommend buying it for that just to throw it on eBay and make some extra cash, but with WWDC this close it is worth waiting just to see if there are any surprises that you might really regret not having waited for.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wait

Anybody who claims they KNOW what will be on the next model is jerking your chain. And whoever said all you might miss out on is 3G needs to actually read stuff on here. GPS and a price cut are among the things that might be added. The headphone jack may be changed, it could have a frickin' laser on it.

Since The Apple Store (www.apple.com/store) lists iPhones as unavailable, the update could come as soon as Tuesday. I bought a refurb for $250 a couple of months ago, but if I had waited until now, I would definitely tell you to hold off. Had I known about the possible $200 subsidy for a contract, I might've waited until the end of my contract, which was in September.

You can't really go wrong either way (the first edition iPhone is the best phone available now in my opinion), but you might get a lot more for the same $ if you wait.

9. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

I had GPS with my BlackBerry 8310 from AT&T. It was an extra $9.99 a month, and it wasn't all that great. GPS with a dedicated unit for a car is fine. But in phone, GPS should be geared more for a pedestrian. And in that case, I can't tell you how many times the GPS in my BlackBerry failed because the buildings around me are so tall that they block line of sight for the minimum of 3 satellites.

When I got the iPhone, I assumed I would not like the GoogleMaps and triangulation method of maps of directions. BUt for a pedestrian it is far better, and faster, in my opinion than a pedestrian mode GPS is.

So I am kind of torn on GPS. It's a neat feature, but Apple's current system is free and works very well without line of site. Wait till you actually get GPS. You'll see it is not as great in a mobile phone as you might think it is. It requires line of site. You can't ask GPS where you are if you are indoors for example. You can with Apple's current free system.

So GPS in my opinion is no big deal. If you need or what GPS in your car, trust me, get a $400 GPS dedicated device specifically for your car. Because that's just about the only place they're useful anyway.

Alex

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's why the announcement of eGPS is so important. It combines the use of GPS and cell tower data, giving location results even indoors.

Newly announced WM phones are supposed to be getting it. Low power, fast speed, cell tower fallback if GPS or aGPS fails.

11. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

I hope it's fast. I can speak from experience when I say GPS on the BlackBerry was horrible compared to what the iPhone can do in terms of getting your location. Don't get me wrong, I have said very nice things about GPS in a cell phone, and I meant all of it. But when I got the iPhone, I immediately liked it's method better than the GPS I had on my BlackBerry.

You simply don't need turn by turn directions when you are walking. What you need is exactly what Google Maps provides with the Cell Towers and PING of the WiFi nodes. You need to zoom in and see hybrid maps.

I was the first to say two things about the iPhone before I owned one myself. I said no GPS was a problem, and no real keyboard was a problem. I am happy to report I myself feel I was very wrong about both of those technologies. And because of it, I don't really give too much credit to GPS. It's nice to have. BlackBerry had a Follow Me feature in TeleNav that was pretty darn awesome. But again, Telenav was another $9.99 a month on top of your bill, and it all starts to add up. $7.99 for early weeks, an extra $10 or $20 for more SMS. Another $9.99 for TeleNav, and on and on. I am not kidding, my BlackBerry phone was costing me $173 a month with all the features I had added to it. When I switched to dot Mac mail from Exchange and to an iPhone, my bill dropped to $93 a month. The kicker is, I feel feature for feature that the current iPhone gives me more than my BlackBerry ever did for almost half the cost.

Right now the hottest selling devices in consumer electronics are MP3 players, GPS devices, and Cameras. So Apple is indeed wise to wrap them all up together in the iPhone. But Hand-Held GPS has not lived up to my own expectations. Oddly enough, Apple's current system lives up to my expectations much better than actual GPS did, and without a GPS chip.

Alex Alexzander

12. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

ok but i dont get it should i wait or buy now because gps isnt a very big deal to me im like 15 what else features is the new iphone going to have??

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Wait for the new one, no one knows for sure what it will have, it could have better memory and be half the price for all we know, so just wait and see what comes up, it might even come out this month by the way things are looking now.

14. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

The reality is, if you wait a month the used prices for the current gen cell phone will only drop due to those whom wish to sell what they currently have for the new iPhone. As someone else pointed out, you may even find a subsidized phone with more memory, better features, etc, for less money than that used phone.

So if you can wait a month, then wait. If you really can't wait a month, and you are really asking if you are going to get burned on this, I don't think you will be burned. I always consider purchases in terms of losses. If you follow my model, you'll begin to see things for what they really are. It's not $250 for the phone you want to day. It's $250 now, but you have a resale value you can sell the phone for later. Let's assume the worst happens, and a subsidized phone releases for $199. Would you bet that you could sell the iPhone you paid $250 for $150? If yes, than the phone isn't $250. It's $100. That's the potential losses to you if you buy that phone now, change your mind later, and wish to buy a $199 subsidized phone. Do you want to gamble the $100 against what you might want given a set of circumstances that might occur in the future?

You see, I pay $93 a month as it is just to keep the phone. So from my point of view, $100 is nothing. It's 1/12 of the cost of the phone's on-going cost. I don't really care. But when I was 15 years old, $100 was a lot of money. I was 15 years old twenty-five years ago. Kids didn't have $250 for a phone back then. So I don't really understand the perspective you have at all. When I was 15 I bought a commodore 64 for $200 and I had it for 5 years. It was a very big deal to me to get that Commie 64.

Is this phone a very big deal for you? Is it something you want to last a long time? Can you even afford the bill for it? How much money does a typical 15 year old have these days? I don't have any perspective. From my point of view, as a working stiff of 40. $100 gamble is chump change. I couldn't care less. I bought mine 3 months ago after everyone as saying wait for the new 3G. I just shrugged it off and asked, why wait? I could be enjoying a great phone now, rather than in 5 months. Now you are 1 month away, so the circumstances are different. But again, just answering this question for myself, I'd go for it.

I bought a MacBook for the same reason. I think a new MacBook Pro is coming in the next 6 months to a year. I bought this MacBook to tide me over. And now I am finding that this $1,099 MacBook is not bad at all. I doubt I even get the MacBook Pro now because I find this one suits me just fine. The best is not always what you need. We want the best, that's human nature. But the current generation iPhone is a good phone, period. A lot of people were happy to wait in a line for 10 hours and pay $599 for that phone you can get for $250. The phone isn't all of the sudden a bad phone. People have simply fallen victim to their desires and expectation that this new iPhone is head and shoulders better than the old one.

I have own many many Macs. If you buy a new one for each new generation, and then wait 5 years and look at all those Macs you bought. One for each 18 months. You'd see the one in the middle wasn't so much better than the one prior. These are incremental improvements. They are not life-altering changes that shouldn't be missed. We're going to see something incremental. A little better. But not something that will make us all look back at this as some turning point in phone technology.

Alex Alexzander

15. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Depends how patient/impatient you are, and whether or not you actually need a new phone.

Either way you are going to be happy with what you get there's no doubt about that.

But if you can wait, there's no harm in waiting to see what's around the corner.