Wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ikermalli, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I haven't been on here for a while. So I wanted a MacBook for my birthday and it didn't end up happening. So my dad and I made a deal that if I do well in school this semester for christmas he will get me a MacBook. So far I have been slacking off and I know people will say it is easy to start working hard but I am kind of a slacker in school, like if I want to do well I can I just don't have the drive to do well. So my two choices are get an old iBook G4 with my own money or try to do well in school and get a MacBook, which should I do? I know the MacBook is better but as I said before I don't try, right now I am pulling a B - B+ average, he said I need to get an A average or at least no C's to get it and I have a C in one course right now because I messed up my first write up and I think in french I am doing really crappy too.

2. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Okay. Do you have a computer right now? If you do, don't get an iBook, because you'll end up leaving it alone after receiving your MacBook if you were to get one.
    I would say to not get an iBook for now and just focus on school work. School is important and I think you should just try your best to not slack off during school and just go for your As. Just set a goal and try to achieve it. Learn to achieve goals. School is a little more important right now and once you get your As, you just got your MacBook and a grade that makes your family proud. Think about it.

3. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that is true. But if I get an iBook I won't be allowed to get the MacBook so I will just wait.

Edit: I posted on the wrong forum :p

4. andrewsd macrumors 6502

get your own and work hard

See I paid for school myself and bought at the time PowerBook myself just for those reason so I bad no one to answer to well I ran into money issues and had to sell the PowerBook. Then after a few years of not having a laptop my dad shoooocckkkeedd the he'll outta me and gave me a MacBook last year for Christmas and I was 22 at the time because he was proud of me for working so hard to make it in my life so hard work pays off. Don't slack man you'll regret down the road I know this for fact. Good luck and keep your head up

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. The only bad part is that I am sick, I have a high fever so I cant go to school so I cant really do anything tomorrow.

6. andrewsd macrumors 6502

get your own and work hard

No prob. And btw I miss my old 1.25 ghz PowerBook. It was a good machine.

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found this:
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/907407556.html

Is it a good deal? Because I kind of need a laptop right now as I need a computer every where i go and my phone is too small to work on. Also I have a lot of photo editing that we have to do. Should I get it? I am going to have to get the price lowered to $330 though

8. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Get better

get better and remember you can only blame yourself for the good this be that come from hard work and you can only blame yourself for it having the life/things you want when you do not work hard

9. andrewsd macrumors 6502

that is an okay deal. That is a ti PowerBook. You would be better off paying around 500 for an al g4 PowerBook. That is what they go for on eBay

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, well then I will have to ask if I can use some money I had from before to buy the Powerbook. So an AL G4 Powerbook? What is better about it?

11. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, and there is only one AL available on ebay for sale at the moment

12. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

This is such a non-thread.

If you want the macbook, work hard. If you don't want to work hard, get the ibook.

We can't really tell you much more, and we certainly can't make you work, can we?

You're crazy for not just doing the work, by the way. The powerbook and ibook are both PPC machines, and they're old right now. Think how out dated they'll be in a couple of years.

I think we need to pass some sort of thread worthiness test imposed by the mods before we're allowed to start a thread. Who's with me now!

13. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not with you...
    Oh and have you ever heard of motivating people?

14. andrewsd macrumors 6502

I have seen a lot of al PowerBooks on eBay. I just searched using the eBay app on my iPhone and there was def more then one on it. They are a tax faster and they are new-er compared to the ti PowerBook. I like them both and they both have better screens then an ibook. On that note though you could get an even new-er iBook if cAn deal with a 12 inch screen. IMO the 14 inch iBooks are not worth it cause they have the same resolution as it's smaller sibling. It you ca. Deal with a 12 inch screen look into the 12 PowerBook. The al PowerBooks went from 1ghz up to I know at least 1.67ghz I can not recall if they ever went higher. Anything that is new-er in a sense would be better then older. Okay keep looking and type it in different ways when searching. Good luck I have to put the iPhone down now and do some work. I'll keep looking in from time to time and if I can get my hands on of the pos windows machine il reply back cause the iPhone is going to take a rest for a min LOL

15. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, yeah it gets annoying typing on the iPhone all the time huh? Yeah I'll keep searching, tomorrow I will probably have to use mine to check back here too.

16. andrewsd macrumors 6502

conquer

I'm all for helping you out man but like I said before there is no sub for hard work

17. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm starting to get on top of homework today, even though I'm sick I have some that I haven't done yet from a few days ago and stuff like that.

18. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, thanks for the help, I did a bit better in school and waited for a bit, and when my dad comes back from him trip to africa he is going to get me a new MacBook! (either the white one of last gen if they are still available or the new one, it's pretty exciting)

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Glad to hear it, mate; you're fortunate, but I'm pleased for you as well and it's terrific that you managed to work hard and improve your grades. Great, too, that you'll be getting a MB.

You'll also hugely enjoy whichever MB you get. The white MB is still a terrific machine, and offers great value just now as a refurb.

Cheers and good luck

20. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks scepticlescribe! I've already read the user manual, I am just going to be saving some good site on MS word for programs and tweaks and then e-mail it to myself :)

21. descartes macrumors 6502

congrats. the macbook is leaps and bounds better than the ibook.

22. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, we just put it on layaway, we are picking it up before the end of the month, I got a pretty good deal on it, i think, tell me what you think

New Apple Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz Laptop
    1 GB RAM
    C2D Processor 2.1 GHz
    120 GB HDD
    8x Superdrive
    Intel GMA X3100
    2.27 KG (4.95 punds)
    Lithium-Ion Battery
    3MB L2 Cache
    OS X v10.5 Leopard
    1 year parts and labour warranty
    $999.99 CAD + 13% tax getting picked up before December 30th