Wait or buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshage, Aug 13, 2014.

1. freshage macrumors newbie

I really want a Macbook Pro 13" to take with me around the world at the end of the year.

I'm just worried that buying the current one will be a mistake.

Is it worth waiting for 2014? I see a lot of rumours regarding the IGZO display being used... But no solid dates on when the new range will be released.

What do you guys think?

This will be the first Apple product I've ever bought, I've tried to shy away from Apple for a while, but for a decent laptop for picture editing on the fly, the MBP is top choice.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you can wait till the end of October, the most likely date for any update, if one even comes before 2015, then wait. If not, buy now.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Buy now. Let enjoyment commence. You'd end up with roughly what I have and it's a terrific laptop in every way possible. Waiting sucks. :D

4. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Do you really need a pro ?

I took an 11" Air on a month long trip last year and it was simply fantastic. And the perfect size for airplane tray's also (the 13" is a little big). I have since sold it and got a 13" pro but giving serious to selling that and going back to an Air.

5. freshage thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? Really?

I don't know, the none retina screen on the air turns me off.

I'm a big PC buff and thus a decent screen screams volumes to me. I'm heading into the Apple store on Sunday, I will try them both out then.

And I could wait until November at the latest.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we're going to see any MBP updates in 2014, not without the broadwell chipset and that's not going to be released until 2015.

I'd say if you have a need now, buy it and enjoy the MBP.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

What would the mistake be?

And, why do people keep starting new threads with the same question, over and over.

8. freshage thread starter macrumors newbie

The mistake would be buying a £1,200 laptop that is just about to be superseded by a newer model... Don't be ignorant or blind.

And because if you look at my post count, I'm new and here for this sole question alone. If you don't like it, move along.

Thanks.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Not only should you buy now, you should get a 2013 refurb model and save some money. It's essentially the same thing.

10. freshage thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the difference?

11. SWAN808 macrumors member

yes I echo buying the refurb...but Im pretty into buying second hand anyways...so long as you are careful...

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

A .02 bump in processor speed. Also, the base models now come with double the ram they used to. However, you can buy the 2013 mid tier 13 inch for cheaper than the 2014 base model. Each one offers 8GB of ram but the 2013 will have 256SSD which is twice as much as the 2014 refurb. Depending on what country, it is around 300 cheaper and gives you twice the storage. A great deal overall.

13. mpe macrumors 6502

There is no major difference.

The only difference is that all standard 2014 configurations are a tiny bit (200 MHz) faster and 8 GB RAM is now standard (previously you have to upgrade the base model).

14. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I'm basically in the same boat as you(but not first mac though)... I always have second thoughts if I should go ahead and buy now or wait for the next refresh. But from the looks of it, since intel is delayed with their broadwell chips, I guess you should buy now.

As for me, although I am leaning towards the rMBP - I am also looking at the 13 Macbook Air... it has an insane battery life and it is lightweight compared to the rMBP... I just wonder if it can handle the workload I am planning to throw at it - like VMs, photo editing using LR and Photoshop... Do any of you have an actual experience running VMs. using LR / Photoshop on an Air? Can it handle it without noticeable lag?

15. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Buy the 13" MacBoook Pro now.

The Mid-2014 edition was just released 2-3 weeks ago and in all honesty, I doubt another will be released this year. The next update is likely to be in 2015 when the Broadwell chip is expected to be released. Now is really the best time to buy unless you're willing to wait till next year.

Have a look at the MacRumor's Buyer's Guide and you'll see that they also recommend buying now.

If you want to save more money, get a refurbed Late 2013 model as there's very little difference between the Late 2013 and Mid-2014 models as others have already pointed out.

16. mpe macrumors 6502

Get the rMBP

Speedwise there isn't a big difference. At least if you consider 13inch rMBP. Obviously anu 15 inch rMBP is much much faster.

It is the IPS display and high resolution that makes rMBP superior to the MBA for Lightroom and PS. I worked on MBA and while it was usable there is just not enough pixels for images and UI. I had to constantly zoom in and out, hide elements and switch between fullscreen modes, etc. The retina resolution and highest scaling setting makes the interface on rMBP much better to work in. I can see if the picture is sharp without having to zoom to pixel level, etc.

Also the IPS display in rMBP is sufficiently calibrated out of the box (see the anandtech review). it is difficult to calibrate MBA display given that you have no contrast setting and vewing angles on MBA are quite poor so it isn't easy to have consistent output on MBA.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just about every other post indicates that a small upgrade took place a few days ago. No further updates are expected soon.

Even so, the current computer will still be a great computer. Buying one would not be a mistake. My 2009 computer is still a great computer too.