wait or buy

mlecho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
i have been living in Europe for 7 years. I am finally coming home, and for a long time. The iPhone is in my immediate future, but should i wait till after macworld or just get it. 2.5 months seems far off. To give an example of the dilemma in my head. A) hardware improvements are inevitable...but what kind? B) i will need a phone quickly after landing. It's a two year contract anyway you slice it... am i better off getting a super cheap plan with a cheap phone, waiting two months, and then upgrading to an iPhone with my existing plan, or should i leap now, and just commit to what is available?

any thoughts?

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hard to know what Apple is going to do with it. They may not upgrade it during Macworld. Since you need it when you get here, I'd say buy it when you return and don't wait.

Comment

mlecho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
thanks all...one more question if you happen to know...how does ATT deal with adding a second line to the plan that is NOT an iPhone. My wife will be getting a phone as well, but doesn't want anything "fancy"- can you imagine?

Comment

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just get a family plan and you should be ok. My family was with at&t when the iPhone was introduced. We bought the iPhone for my daughter as a birthday gift and no problem activating it, even with her same number.

Comment

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
sign up under a family plan, get the best free phones you can get. then get an iphone and sell the free phone you got for yourself. I didn't do that but that's an option.

Comment

mlecho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
if i take that approach of getting free phones, and then getting an iphone, i suppose i will pay 3 activation charges, which in the grand scheme is nothing to the savings. But, i have to do this BEFORE activating the iPHone, right?

Comment

mets1125

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
if i take that approach of getting free phones, and then getting an iphone, i suppose i will pay 3 activation charges, which in the grand scheme is nothing to the savings. But, i have to do this BEFORE activating the iPHone, right?

Yes. Sign up to ATT (get the 3 phones) then go purchase the iphone. Then you can sell the 3 phones you got on ebay or craigslist.

Comment