wait or buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlecho, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mlecho macrumors newbie

i have been living in Europe for 7 years. I am finally coming home, and for a long time. The iPhone is in my immediate future, but should i wait till after macworld or just get it. 2.5 months seems far off. To give an example of the dilemma in my head. A) hardware improvements are inevitable...but what kind? B) i will need a phone quickly after landing. It's a two year contract anyway you slice it... am i better off getting a super cheap plan with a cheap phone, waiting two months, and then upgrading to an iPhone with my existing plan, or should i leap now, and just commit to what is available?

any thoughts?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hard to know what Apple is going to do with it. They may not upgrade it during Macworld. Since you need it when you get here, I'd say buy it when you return and don't wait.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

buy version 1 now, buy version 2 when it comes out. then sell version 1.

4. mlecho thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all...one more question if you happen to know...how does ATT deal with adding a second line to the plan that is NOT an iPhone. My wife will be getting a phone as well, but doesn't want anything "fancy"- can you imagine?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just get a family plan and you should be ok. My family was with at&t when the iPhone was introduced. We bought the iPhone for my daughter as a birthday gift and no problem activating it, even with her same number.

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

sign up under a family plan, get the best free phones you can get. then get an iphone and sell the free phone you got for yourself. I didn't do that but that's an option.

7. mlecho thread starter macrumors newbie

if i take that approach of getting free phones, and then getting an iphone, i suppose i will pay 3 activation charges, which in the grand scheme is nothing to the savings. But, i have to do this BEFORE activating the iPHone, right?

8. mets1125 macrumors regular

Yes. Sign up to ATT (get the 3 phones) then go purchase the iphone. Then you can sell the 3 phones you got on ebay or craigslist.