Wait or get it now?

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
126
0
Hi, I was going to buy the standard base model MBA 13.3" (4GB RAM, 128GB SSD) and then realised that on the 16th October there may be new ones released. Should I wait for the event? I am looking for the 13.3" size for it. Will the new MBA (if released on 16th) be the same price as the current one is now (£849)

Thanks!
 

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
916
0
It would be out of CPU cycle for Apple to announce any new computers, laptops or desktop's, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
 

Woochoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
343
150
Should I wait for the event?
Come on, can't you really wait 4 days till 16th? If it was a month... But not even a week! hahah
If they say something about Air (I doubt they release it on 16th, but maybe relatively soon) good, then you decide what to do, otherwise after the event just buy the one you were going to buy

I'd say the same to those who always say "buy now": if it's not strictly necessary to have it for some urgent work, there's nothing wrong on waiting a bit if the next version is coming relatively soon (even more if there's an Apple event the next week, and the next version isn't supposed to be just a new CPU model). Not saying, thought, to be forever waiting for the "best new ultra redesign to rule them all", but right now I think it's worth the wait.

p.s: I've a MBP 13" 2010 which isn't the powerhorse right now, but still can do the work with it, so I'll wait to the Air redesign, even if it isn't released until Mid 2015.
 

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
1,365
534
Houston, Texas
It is highly unlikely that any new Air models will be released this month. Get the current model. If we are all wrong and they do release a new one, just return the one you just bought.
 

cityhopper

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
24
1
It is highly unlikely that any new Air models will be released this month. Get the current model. If we are all wrong and they do release a new one, just return the one you just bought.
Bingo! If nothing is announced, then I'll be the just as happy as a new parent to a 2013 MBA 11 inch/i7/8GB/256GB arriving this week.

There will always be a bigger and better model to hold out for. Free yourself and buy a laptop :D
 
Last edited:

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
329
29
According to Recode, there will be no new MacBook Air at the Thursday event.

They're usually pretty well-sourced. Either way, as everyone else mentioned even if you buy one today and they announce new ones on Thursday, you can just return it.
 

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
759
266
Don't buy now.

The MacBook Air is a very good device, no doubt - but the screen is a relic. A low-res TN panel on a "premium" laptop is a complete joke at 2015.

Wait a couple of months and you will get a very significantly better product.