Wait or go for it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Snowguy, Aug 23, 2011.

  1. Snowguy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Northern Minnesota
    #1
    I have a limited budget, but I want to upgrade to a Mac Pro.

    I've looked into purchasing a 1,1 machine and upgrading it to an 8-core with a 5770 or 5870 AMD card... but I want this machine to last me a good 4-5 years.

    Should I hold off another 4-5 months and purchase an '08 or '09 (or even 2010 system if they're affordable) and upgrade from there?

    Or should I save up and get a decked out 27" iMac? All of my experience with Mac has been with the iMac, and I do love them... but I want upgradeability.

    The problem is that Mac Pros are just expensive no matter which way you cut it.

    I probably will just wait and see what Apple does. But if I were able to get a Mac Pro 1,1 for $500 or so.. would you bite?
     
  2. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    #2
    personally, i would pass on that MP. how about a new mini to hold you over?
     
  3. Snowguy thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Northern Minnesota
    #3
    It's tempting.. and I could probably get a decent resale on it. Is the AMD 6630M a decent card? Probably much better than my HD 2600.
     
  4. blunti macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #4
    6630m is a decent card. I would get a new mini instead of a 1,1 MP...
     
  5. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #5
    Since it seems you can wait, I'd hold off until the next MP systems release. Then either get the new model, or a refurbished 2009/10 system if it's too expensive.

    If the refurbished units are out of budget, I wouldn't go for anything older than a 2008 since they're the first systems that got EFI64 based firmware (allows for more GPU card choices, as well as can run K64, which it seems IMO that Apple is striving to use exclusively in the not too distant future based on a previous statement they made - and it appears to be less than 5 years away).

    Some things to consider anyway... ;)
     
  6. highdefw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2009
    #6
    If you really want upgradeability... go for a '09 refurb. Excellent machine!
     
  7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #7
    I highly doubt 10.8 will run on 1,1's.

    I need to start saving for a new MP :(
     
  8. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    #8
    the GPU is pretty good, obviously not what you will get in a 2010 MP, but good. I'd say pick up a mini, use it until you save up enough money for the MP you really want and then sell your mini. mini's always have good resale value.
     

Share This Page