Wait, people feel heat from their iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Mar 18, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

So the reason why I want to upgrade from a Macbook to iPad is because of the heat that develops in such a short amount of time from usage. I've heard absolute nothing of heat from the previous two iPads, which is perfect. But I hear there are some heating problems from the iPad 3? Is this true? I really hope not.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Some have experience a warming in the lower left hand corner. Yellow screens and the thing feels like a kettle bell. Some are going as far as claiming Steve is rolling in his grave, it's madness I say!!!!!!

3. jimHdk macrumors regular

The reports are bunk. I've had no heat problems with my new iPad (iPad 3). It's quite cool.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

So your personal experience is the benchmark for the planet? Seems like quite a bit of pressure. How do you stand it?

5. hchavarria macrumors 6502

There are several threads on this but I haven't felt any heat issues on my iPad, might be a hit or miss.

6. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

7. Justin Luck macrumors regular

It warms up a bit. But I put a clear TPU cover on the back and now never feel it.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It gets warm but nowhere near as hot as a MacBook pro.

10. fattire357 macrumors regular

a macbook pro has burned me on multiple occasions (burn = red skin that goes away soon after). dear god, i hope it is not that bad.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I may sue apple for low sperm count due to my MacBook pro. Heat is not good for the seeds.

12. ejisfun macrumors regular

Mine only gets warm if I'm playing a graphics intensive game, and even when it does it's definitely not nearly hot enough to burn me.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

All it takes for mine to get warm is browsing the forums.

14. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

15. MarkG21 macrumors regular

My iPad got warm (not hot) when I had the brightness level at 100%. I've found that I like the brightness at around 55% and it's not even warm at all.

16. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

When you increase the gpu power based on older tech in order to push all those pixels your going to have more heat and power draw. Apple's approach was lazy. They used more gpu's to get the some performance, used a bigger battery which takes much longer to charge, the body is thicker and then you have the heat. Heat generation is never good for electronics. Apple traded 1 positive for 3 negatives.
    Correct way to attack the problem is to use a redesigned energy efficient cpu and a new gpu that can handle that resolution while keeping the same battery.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I would contact them and let them know you've figured it out. They should ask you for a copy of your CV and salary requirements I would think.

18. blue43fan macrumors regular

Really!? With all of your extensive engineering knowledge you should totally go build one of these super efficient GPUs and submit your resume to Apple. :rolleyes:

They managed to double the resolution, increase graphical performance, and maintain battery life with such a marginal increase in weight and thickness that it's almost imperceptible. That's lazy? Because the iPad now gets slightly warm?

EDIT: Looks like BoxerGT2.5 beat me to it. :)

19. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I thought it was only me that was feeling the warmth on the side of the iPad.

20. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Your argument doesn't really add up. What's wrong with a larger battery and thicker body? Tech can only get so thin. IF they kept it the same thickness (giving you less battery life) you would be complaining about that. Electronic devices give off heat, it's a fact that can't be changed. The huge aluminum body is basically a giant heatsink so of course it's going to heat up. Try playing some hard core games on your iPhone (assuming you have one) and see how warm that gets. Heat isn't bad for electronics, over heating is bad for electronics. So what you see as negatives, I see as positives.

21. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Actually, I was running my new iPad for several hours on Friday for apps like Infinity Blade II, 3G/LTE web surfing, and other stuff. While it did get slightly warm to the touch, it was nowhere even remotely close to "intolerably hot". My cup of coffee was hotter than the iPad ever got. It was stated before the iPad even launched that there would be a slight increase in heat generation due to the quadcore GPU and LTE chipsets, so people acting surprised means they didn't read up on the new iPad before buying. And to be honest, it's better for that heat to dissipate through the aluminum back og the iPad than to build up in side and damage internal components.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Clearly it's easy. I mean he put the formula right there for us to all see.

To cure cancer, you must kill the abnormal cells. Pfizer here I come!!!!

23. aka777 macrumors 6502a

That easy hey. I wonder why the largest company in the world, with $100 billion in cash, and every other tech company didn't think of this.

Hey, the easiest way to move off oil is just build an electric cars that goes and goes. Simple as that really.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

25. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Well hey, if Apple can make a open request for parts with certain specs for their idevices and get credit as if they came up with the tech to make those parts then why can't anyone else make an open statement/solution, let someone figure out the details, and then that someone can take full credit for finding the solution.

Apple: Hey Samsung, we need you to make a display with a resolution of X and a PPI of Y. Oh and by the way, we will be calling it Retina. We have no effing clue how to achieve this so please use your expertise. One last thing, the sheep will automatically want to believe we are fully responsible for this display so please make sure their are no defects. Oh wait, actually don't worry about the defects, because the sheep will also believe it's your fault and not ours. You see, we get credit when things go just right, but when things go wrong, our blind followers love to blame our suppliers.

Samsung: :confused: