Wait shouldn't the $399 iPad 2 be replaced with the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AR999, Oct 24, 2012.

1. AR999 macrumors regular

Why are they still selling the 2 at that price, surly the 3 should replace its position and the iPad 2 should be dropped, or is because Apple know if the 3 and 4 where offered alongside one another many would opt for the 3 as the user experience will likely be very similar for the majority of tasks.

2. Jarland macrumors regular

I think the big point for selling the iPad 2 is that it costs less to manufacture and therefore able to fit the lower price point that they wanted to be able to offer.

3. AR999 thread starter macrumors regular

But its the same price as it was before.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. AR999 thread starter macrumors regular

But its priced the same as the iPad 2 was at launch.

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The 3rd gen/4th gen iPad cost nearly the same to make. It's all about price margins.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Exactly 399$ for and iPad 2 will bring more profit then a 399$ iPad 3. If you want retina you have to fork out 499$. It actually makes perfect sense, the iPad 3 would have cannibalized some iPad 4 sales.

8. AR999 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thats what I speculated.

Would have been nice if they dropped the iPad 2 price a bit though.

9. Noisemaker Guest

The iPad 2 is still totally stable as a cheaper alternative to the full sized iPad with Retina.

It's still for sale because if they had lowered the iPad 3 to the same price point there would be no real "middle ground". There's not much different between the 3 and the 4, so people would be confused.

The general masses just want something at their price point. While techy people go over specs and such, general people just want something that works for x amount of money.

Also worth noting is that Apple sees that there were issues with the iPad 3. It's easier for them to keep the 2, which is not only stable, but cheaper to produce. This ups their profit, keeps the majority of customers happy, and keeps their product line diversified.

10. riveting macrumors 6502

I heard that ipad 4 is actually cheaper to made than ipad 3. The changed the panel which kind of reduced the manufacture cost from ipad 3 to ipad 4. Ipad 2 however, is obviously much cheaper to made than ipad 2, selling ipad 3 at $399 will lower their profit margin.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I saw it somewhere on this forum that some Apple stores are selling their remaining inventory of iPad 3 at an unofficial price of $449. To be honest, I would add $50 and go for the iPad 4, which is probably why they simply discontinued iPad 3.

In other words, it has to be at least $100 less for the "cheaper" iPad to exist, and selling iPad 3 at $399 is not profitable enough for Apple, but iPad 2 at $399 is.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I agree, ipad 2 is an awful buy right now.

Lower PPI than the Mini, both cameras are MUCH worse, and older Wifi technology. AND it's more expensive??

Makes no sense.

They should have got rid of the iPad 2.

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

And it has only been 6 months since the price dropped to $399 in the first place. Retina displays will always cost more, but over time they will be cheaper.

Also if they dropped the price to $399 for iPad 3 then there would be a ton more pissed off customers who bought it less than 3 months ago for $100 more. ANd they would probably have to end up passing out store credits to people.

The new 9.7" iPad is mainly just a spec bump plus the lightning port.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I won't be surprised that the cheap option of full-size iPad being eliminated in the near future. No one with the right mind will buy the iPad 2, and so it's practically non-existent. iPad mini is essentially the cheap option of iPad, never mind iPad 2. The purpose of keeping the iPad 2 is solely to drive the iPad mini sales (to make the lower spec iPad mini looks good).

Oh, I'm pretty sure they are pissed equally to see the refurb iPad 3 selling at $379 now.

15. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I would hope they would sell out of those refurbished units in a heartbeat at that price. Better hardware at a cheaper price than the 2. Guaranteed longer iOS updates. If people are smart.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

That is absolutely the best deal right now if you want a full sized iPad.

17. Machoo macrumors member

I have a thought

Ok, well I have a thought on why they kept the ipad 2. I use mine in the cockpit. I don't fly commercial, I am just a private pilot but most of the other pilots that I fly with also use the ipad 2. With that being said a few major airlines have purchased hundreds of ipad 2's and integrated them into the cockpit. This is just the aviation side. I also work for a school district and know that many districts have purchased serious quantities of ipad 2's for classroom use. I have heard of many other industries using the ipad 2's as well. To name a couple hospitals, restaruants, and hotels. It was the ipad 2 that has taken off and is being used on a large scale throughout many different industries. Apple is really trying to get itself a serious foothold on business and education. For many of you that may think it has already won in those categories you are mistaken. So, if they killed the ipad 2 they would alienate thousands of business users that have adopted the technology. It would be the wrong move at the wrong time. I do think that with the newest offerings that the price of the ipad 2 should have been reduced more than it was. If it had been I do believe that it would have been adopted by many more. I know for a fact that our school district would have looked at buying more. ipad 2 will be around for awhile because it does the job well, it is stable, capable of filling many different roles, and there are more of them being used than any other ipad.