Heres the deal. I've been having very bad proximity sensor issues. I saw that many of you have gotten replacements from apple by calling tech support. I figured I would give this a try myself - not only because of the issues its having (i'm assuming that a replacement has only a 50/50 chance of fixing my issues) but also because of some hairline scratches I have in the phone from before I bought a case. So... the senior tech advisor said they would need to issue a replacement and that they would need to authorize my card for $699, ouch! well I did not have the funds available in my checking since pay day is in about one hour. They told me to call back tomorrow with my case number and then they could send it out, either way I would get it by friday morning. Now with this whole press conference, is it worth it to wait a few days and see what apple has to say? is it possible that if they issue a recall and start giving out better replacements that I wouldnt be able to get one since I've already gotten one replacement? Not really sure what to do!