wait till end of summer? and how about 2ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rdevoogh, Apr 21, 2008.

1. rdevoogh macrumors newbie

Hi. I am currently a pc user, but am planning on upgrading to a mac this summer in anticipation for school starting again in the fall. I would love to use my new computer over the summer, but have heard that apple often has back to school promotions. I have also heard that the iMac is expected to have an upgrade sometime soon. I'm not sure what I would be waiting for, but the buyers guide advises not to buy.

I also have a question about the 2ghz processing speed on the 20inch imac. As a student, my budget will not permit me to purchase the 2.4ghz model. I dont play computer games, and if I end up using the computer for making movies or recording some music, it will be casually and infrequent. Will the 2ghz processor hold me back? Thanks for the advice

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend maxing the RAM (3rd party), and the 2.0 won't hold you back.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Simply, you won't notice the difference between a 2.0 and a 2.4, seeing in part as you have no 2.4 to compare it to, but as well to the relatively minor speed difference there. The 2.4 naturally has slightly higher benchmarks than the 2.0, but don't worry, the machine is plenty fast enough for what you will throw at it.

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

you will be fine. they MIGHT do a free ipod nano, but a lot of times its with the macbooks and macbook pros. they have done this the past 2-3 years in september. if you can wait thats fine, other wise just go for it now, like above said, max out the ram. you will love your imac either way. welcome to the apple family!