wait till october to buy macbook pro or buy now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pixy2, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. pixy2 macrumors newbie

    Jun 1, 2010
    I'm a computer science student who needs a new computer
    I originally wanted to buy the 15 inch core i5 right now, but i was worried about portablility
    then i heard that apple is updating them again in october
    I'm hoping they update the 13 inch with core i3
    should i buy now or in october
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    If you need it now, buy it. Its unlikely that Apple will use i3 as they would have done that already plus, it's not much faster (lower clock and no Turbo). October is a long wait and now you can get a free iTouch
  3. brianfast macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2010
  4. rufus247 macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2009
    Get it now. They just recently updated, meaning you will get good value, and you will get an iPod touch. At the very least you can sell the touch. You will probably be a little peeved when the update comes out, but that cannot be avoided. Your machine will always be obsolete soon after you buy it. Gotta love LIFO.
  5. elpmas macrumors 68000


    Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    get it now and get the free ipod touch. you can always sell your mbp and upgrade to the new one.
  6. runebinder macrumors 6502a


    Apr 2, 2009
    Nottingham, UK
    Agree with the above posters get it now, I remember hearing in January that they were going to be updated that month, same again in February and March. End of the day few people have got a clue when it will actually happen, and you don't want to be waiting to then get to October and see that go by, then the next month and the next, and you tell yourself you waited so long now it'll be wrong to give up.

    Trust me, been there and bought the T-Shirt lol.

    I have a 15" and I find it very portable, take it to and from Work (1 hour and 40 mins a day travel there and back), using the bus and walking and don't struggle with it at all.Go with the i5 you won't regret it.
  7. jolawson macrumors member

    Jun 1, 2010
    Dacula, GA
    This is exactly why Apple didn't put an i3 in the 13". It wasn't enough to make a huge improvement. I personally bought a 2010 13" MBP...and do not regret it one bit. I see myself upgrading in 2 years or so...that gives plenty of time for technology to improve. I'm not fond of upgrading every time the MBP's get an update. But thats just me. Like I said, I am very satisfied with my purchase, but you know your wants/needs better than anyone else on these forums.

    Good luck!
  8. JackHobbs macrumors regular


    Nov 1, 2009
    I bought my 13" MBP in December. It's great and does what I want it to do. I was a little regretful when it was updated but got over it. What matters more is does it do what you want and what you use in the meantime. Whenever you buy electronics, there will always be something that supersedes it. Does that mean that I shouldn't buy an Iphone 4 because there will be an Iphone 5? Only if I want to put up with an inferior phone for the next year.

    Buy it and enjoy it now.:)
  9. seb-opp macrumors 6502

    Nov 16, 2008
    Where did you hear they would be updated in October? I find that highly unlikely considering the last two upgrades have been in the first halves of 2009 and 2010

    Get it now! Student discount, and they have been recently updated

Share This Page