Wait time for iPhone 3G replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Jul 31, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

For those of you who had to return an iPhone 3G to the Genius Bar but they had to order or wait new shipments to give you a replacement:

How many days was it before you got the replacement?

2. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Legends20036 macrumors member

My replacement took 4 days to arrive...then it had 3 dead pixels and 2 large pieces of dust on it so they had to order another.

4. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Mine took 1 day. I got a call the next day and went down there. The replacement as well as 2 other replacements were all defective so I ended up going home with my original cracked black 16gb iPhone.

5. Legends20036 macrumors member

6. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Did you by chance purchase the extra year applecare warranty? They can overnight you one free of charge (usually 29$ if you didn't get applecare) but they require a 499$ hold on a CC. However they provide you back free shipping and tracking the whole time. It was nice but the hold was a pain in the butt.

7. Legends20036 macrumors member

I didn't get the AppleCare but am going to check into this as waiting a week and then having to sit in traffic to get back to the Apple Store just isn't working for me.

8. acrafton macrumors 6502

a few hours. . .

My wife took it on Sunday afternoon around 5pm. They diagnosed and said you need a new one. They ordered it and said it would be in Monday or Tuesday. Monday morning they called at 10am and said they grabbed a new one off the truck for her, come on in and get it.

I posted a detailed story on this praising there service. . .

9. Legends20036 macrumors member

Yeah, I saw that thread. My first replacement took 4 days and this time they won't even give me an estimated time (though the first time they didn't either). I am going to call tomorrow as this is getting annoying. When I was originally in the store for an appointment with a genious after he said he needed to replace it he came up to me and my gf while we were talking to a friend who works there and said we shouldn't expect a quick replacement since we bought at AT&T and their replacements go to people who bought at Apple first.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ That's what I heard when I was in the Apple Store yesterday, but I didn't give any thought to it, b/c I was getting a new 3G iPhone. :eek:

11. Legends20036 macrumors member

The thing is they order the replacement phones for each customer but won't give any way to track it and in my case won't even say a time frame. Just annoying. I have 4 iPhones on my family plan and I was the first to upgrade to the 3g and with the service I am getting I am probably the only one.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

before you order a new one, have them check the stock of nearby apple and ATT stores. if one is availabe, theyll reserve it for you and you can just drive over there for a replacement. thats what i did

13. Legends20036 macrumors member

They told me that wasn't an option and that to get the replacement at another store I would have to make an appointment with a genious at that store and go through the whole process again even though the phone had already been declared defetive at the original store.

Though if you meant a replacement for if you bought the phone at Apple and are within your 14 days I know they will make the exchange very simple and will actually try to help you.

14. Legends20036 macrumors member

Took a week but they finally called today and said my replacement was in. I get there and hand them my repair paper and 20 minutes later the guy comes back and says they hadn't received my phone. Well 45 minutes later (I was not about to leave and drive back to the mall another day) the manager comes out to apologize and says that had accidentally marked my phone for someone else but they finally found it when they were checking repair IDs on each phone. So I finally get it and the phone is much better then my last 2, though it had the worst light leak of the 3 it has no dead pixels and the screen is flush with the casing. Only problem is the chrome bezel has 2 places where it has chips/indentions in it and there is 1 little piece of dust under the screen. Since overall this is a better product I am going to hold on to it and if a time comes when the build quality actually improves I will take it back.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

no it was after the 14 days if i remember correctly...
    I did have to make a Genius appointment but the genius at the first store sent them a copy of the replacment info and they knew what was going on when I walked it. They didn't even look at the phone, just replaced it without asking why

16. trixnrice macrumors member

depends what store/ area your in. (read my updated post in the iphone 3g cracked thread). some stores just have brand new replacements in the back, i got mine right away. it just depends really.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I was there on Monday. They had to order me a new white iPhone. They called Wednesday about 2PM to say it was in. I'll be picking it up Thursday morning.