Wait to buy a new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick A, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. Nick A macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2009
    #1
    Am I better off buying the Macbook for christmas or waiting until after for an upgrade? When is the next date to the pro line going to be approx.?
     
  2. Mac Composer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
  3. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #3
    Q1/2011 is most likely, when Intel releases Sandy Bridge.


    MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.
    And this topic comes up more than daily.
     
  4. Blaine macrumors 6502a

    Blaine

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Location:
    Abilene TX
  5. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

    Peter.Howard

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2010
    Location:
    Australia.
    #6
  6. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    #7
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    i was wondering. i heard someone on the boards say something about an apple event this nov 20. is this true? If so couldnt the mbp be updated then.
     
  7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #8
    dude.. screw that update okay.. there are like a bazillion posts:
    "should i wait.. or get it now"
    "hi, im looking to buy a MBP, but should i wait for an upgrade"

    no offense (ive been in the same boat too, so dont take it personally) but the ultimate decision is going to be YOU. you could start a poll and say buy MBP now or wait till update, and get majority of the people saying "WAIT".. but the thing is who do you listen too.
    simply put, this post is completely useless (once again dont take it personally, ive been in the same boat , in fact it was in regards to this MBP 2010 model or the MBP 2011 model LOL!)
    think about it this way- you buy the new upgrade model thats fancy, high-tech, amazing. the best thing youve even seen, felt, licked/ and then they announce another sexy version of the MBP..
    what im saying is technology is gonna keep changing and apple changes it every 6+ months. they are holding off on the MBP update because they want to incorporate the new chips into the system and yeah there will add some realyl fancy stuff, but think about it.. "IS IT WORTH IT?"

    long story short- be with me and buy it now (or at least black friday where you get $100 off for free (no student/edu discount needed!)) cuz tech is gonna keep changing and we just have to live with it.

    a personal suggestion (one i intend to do myself)
    buy the MBP now. then after a couple of months after OSX LION is launched (maybe beginning of 2012) buy yourself a nice SSD drive and some RAM.. install both of them on the old 2010 model MBP--- good, no not good. BETTER than new. sure you will miss out on Light Peak and that stuff, but you want light peak (heck no one is sure if apple will include that this update anyways. all we know is apple is supporting this development)

    so my final message to you:
    BUY NOW... don't waste time with the whole update stuff.. its seriously not that amazing.. (unless they re-design the MBP and add some super coooll features that you really need)

    one more thing.. we are not hearing rumors of the MBP so chances are the update will not be for a while.. you could wait till Christmas... to see if rumors have come out, but you never know//
     
  8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    #9
    WAIT
    do not buy now. especially if you were planning on getting the 13
     
  9. akapaul macrumors member

    akapaul

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #10
    lmfao :apple:
     
  10. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    #11
    roflcopter
     
  11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #12
    roflmaowtime
     
  12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #13
    now after the beautiful laughs lol!
    time for seriousness again.

    think about it this way. you can buy it now okay and then when they announce the newer version of the MBP you can be jealous and be like "dammit Shyam09! i shouldve waited" and you want to know something funny. when the spring 2010 model came out, thats what a lot of the 2009 model owners were doing.. its gonna be the same thing (updated specs longer battery life, new processor, new GPU, light-peak, who knows...
    one more thing.. when do you want to BUY IT BY?

    thats the question.. a lot of people are saying Q1, but remember Q1 is when intel releases their chips. then apple has to buy them and then apple has to find a way to include these new chips.. and then the GPU and then the battery life (they can't allow the battery to drop, they have to increase it) and then they have to make sure this works and that works.. a lot of people are coming out and saying Feb. cuz thats apple new meeting.,. but logically it all depends on intel.. and believe me intel won't come out with the processors in January lol! i would say around April it would come out (maybe march).

    but another factor plays into the release of the MBP- OSX LION.. apple might decide to announce the new MBP when they launch the OSX lion.. it would be a hit combo. its a long way and no one knows for sure.. i could be right or wrong.. but think about it..

    if you have time and its not important or you dont see the use of these further technological improvements then BUY IT do not wait..

    now im sure by now, after reading all these lovely posts you will be
    "WTF!!!! IM SO CONFUSED!!! WTF DO I DO NOW!!!" or something like that..

    think about it.. if you need it and want it go for it.. if not.. wait.. thats all you can do.. one or the other..

    good luck!
     
  13. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

    mongoos150

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    #14
    It won't be until spring at the earliest, and it'll likely be a processor bump only (Sandy Bridge).

    Just placed an order for a 2.66 15" i7 w/High Res glossy screen. Can't wait coming from an early 08 2.4GHz C2D =)
     
  14. arcite macrumors 6502a

    arcite

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    Location:
    Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    #15
    I needed a new laptop and got my 13 pro last month. Couldn't be happier. If you think you can wait, well..... you probably don't need it that badly. :p
     
  15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #16
    I agree that they are probably aming for Feb to March but it might be April if anything doesn't work out, which might just be one piece they cannot buy in sufficient quantity.
    But it is not true that Apple buys the Chips after they are released. Apple is already working today with engineering samples of. They are already testing probably different prototypes with the new chips.
    The day Intel launches a new CPU is the day it is allowed to be shipped to end users. Some of the CPUs may have already been shipped and been put into Notebook as of that date. The Manufacturers like Apple can work a few months ahead with new chips in order to have a full functional shippable Notebook ready at launch day.
    In Theory Apple can release new Notebooks the day Intel Launches Sandy Bridge. It is very unlikely though because they need a lot of CPUs to provide availability of MBP all over the world and that takes a little while.
     
  16. mscice macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #17
    My suggestion is this, I have been waiting also for a upgrade, im running early 2008 model MBP.. I have had no issues with this one what so ever, has been running each day for 16+ hours.. sometimes i dont turn it off for 3-4 days, its my main machine for work.

    However I have learned that by waiting a new product upgrade will come out 6 months later.. so it all depend on your needs, yes you can wait and enjoy (flash drive MBP + sandy bridge) might be thinner and lighter... but if you need a machine now then buy it. If you can wait then wait it out.

    my 2cents
     
  17. deepak.selvaraj macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2010
    #18
    I'm the exact same position as you are...I want a 13" MBP but really confused...March/April is seriously far away and I cant wait till then...One thing that really holds me back is the high resolution screen in the new 13" MBA, which is definitely gonna make its way to the next 13" MBP...Also, I'm really excited that the optical drive will be removed. Which will give them a **** lot of space! Who knows what they'll use that for :)

    One thing to note is that the MacRumors Buyer's Guide now says "Don't Buy - Updates Soon" for MBP
     
  18. Jordan25100 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #19
    Also in this position

    My mom has offered to buy me a macbook for xmas.
    So I think I'm just gonna wait till after xmas and see what happens!
     
  19. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #20
    wait how do you know they will remove the optical drive? they will remove the drive. but im sure not with this next update. the reason is because they still have OSX Lion to launch as well as a lot of other software companies are not ready to make that change and remove the optical drive. also the MBP is for "professional stuff" like videos and things like that.. so as long as we have the DVD player in existence we will most likely be stuck with the optical drive

    however to the OP.. this poster has a great point. however, this can also be done optionally (you wont get more battery life, but you could add another drive too! [so wait till 2012 and buy TWO SSD drives and install both (if you don't use DVD)
     
  20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #21
    duh! youre right.. haha.. thanks for correcting me..
     

Share This Page