Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
hii i'm about to buy my first macbook but i was wondering if i should wait until the next one is released because apparently it's going to have a big update i guess? is that true or should i go ahead and just the current macbook pro? also i heard it's useless to get the base model of the macbook pro is that true? i'm just going to use it for browsing and social media. typing up some papers on google docs too. and sims 4. would the base model be enough for me? thanks!!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
You should wait a few months for the new Skylake update.

Why did they tell you that the base model MBP is useless?

But, yes, the base model would be enough for what you need to do.

Reactions: petewentz

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
hii i'm about to buy my first macbook but i was wondering if i should wait until the next one is released because apparently it's going to have a big update i guess? is that true or should i go ahead and just the current macbook pro? also i heard it's useless to get the base model of the macbook pro is that true? i'm just going to use it for browsing and social media. typing up some papers on google docs too. and sims 4. would the base model be enough for me? thanks!!
The 13" classic Macbook is not worth it. You'd be better off with the base 13" Macbook Air. Better processor, graphics, fast SSD, much better battery life, and much lighter.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
The 13" classic Macbook is not worth it. You'd be better off with the base 13" Macbook Air. Better processor, graphics, fast SSD, much better battery life, and much lighter.
i thought about getting the air but i really want a retina display

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
Choose the base model early 2015 13" then - it has the Broadwell processor which would be plenty for what you mention IMO. You could wait for Skylake, but to be honest I think that even the previous generation Haswell processors would be fine for your intended use.

That said, I think the Air does rock for size and portability.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Honestly, for your needs have you considered the new MacBook? For general tasks its pretty quick, and it gives you small size, light weight, retina screen, and great speakers. Apple has a very liberal return policy; you can get one to try out for two weeks and if it doesn't meet your needs return it and get the Pro.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If you are willing to wait a couple of months, then the next model will be worth it. Or you could find a good discount on current models after the new one is released.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Pete, your needs are fairly modest so I doubt Skylake would give you huge performance benefit; the most noticible thing is the new trackpad. Its not going to run Facebook or Google Docs that much faster. Truth be told, buying a refurbished 2013 or 2014 would work for you and buying used/refurbished would get you a larger drive with more RAM which would be more important in future proofing your computer.

That being said Skylake will have a battery life improvement and might come with a physical redesign, but if you need a computer now, its not like it will feel slow to you.

PS. Buying used now means you could upgrade in a year or two if you like the redesign and you won't take the financial hit of depreciation like you would with a new computer. Apple's refurbs are great and they come with a new battery.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I thought you were looking at the classic MBP.
The base Retina 13" at $1300 is a good value. You can find it on sale for $100 off often at Best Buy and if you have an .edu email, right now you can get another $100 off at Best Buy.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Honestly, for your needs have you considered the new MacBook? For general tasks its pretty quick, and it gives you small size, light weight, retina screen, and great speakers. Apple has a very liberal return policy; you can get one to try out for two weeks and if it doesn't meet your needs return it and get the Pro.
i have thought about it but it only have a single port and i dont really like that and i dont want to purchase add on cords that cost $40 just to lose them

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Wait for what?? Both the macbook pro lines have been updated in the last 3 months there will be nothing new until next year.

Any modern computer will handle that use case fine, although using chrome as your browser will significantly lower your battety life and use more resources than necessary on a mac in osx.

Buy whichever macbook you like with confidence, it will be great machine for you.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Just upgraded from a Late 2011 to a Mid 2015 Pro 15". What a weapon it is and the screen is amazing. Wait? Don't be daft, get it and enjoy it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.