wait to buy macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petewentz, Jun 23, 2015.

1. petewentz macrumors newbie

hii i'm about to buy my first macbook but i was wondering if i should wait until the next one is released because apparently it's going to have a big update i guess? is that true or should i go ahead and just the current macbook pro? also i heard it's useless to get the base model of the macbook pro is that true? i'm just going to use it for browsing and social media. typing up some papers on google docs too. and sims 4. would the base model be enough for me? thanks!!

2. nfl46 macrumors 604

You should wait a few months for the new Skylake update.

Why did they tell you that the base model MBP is useless?

But, yes, the base model would be enough for what you need to do.

3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The 13" classic Macbook is not worth it. You'd be better off with the base 13" Macbook Air. Better processor, graphics, fast SSD, much better battery life, and much lighter.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For general to moderate use, the only reason to choose the MacBook Pro over the Air is for the retina screen.

5. petewentz thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought about getting the air but i really want a retina display

6. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Choose the base model early 2015 13" then - it has the Broadwell processor which would be plenty for what you mention IMO. You could wait for Skylake, but to be honest I think that even the previous generation Haswell processors would be fine for your intended use.

That said, I think the Air does rock for size and portability.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Honestly, for your needs have you considered the new MacBook? For general tasks its pretty quick, and it gives you small size, light weight, retina screen, and great speakers. Apple has a very liberal return policy; you can get one to try out for two weeks and if it doesn't meet your needs return it and get the Pro.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If you are willing to wait a couple of months, then the next model will be worth it. Or you could find a good discount on current models after the new one is released.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Pete, your needs are fairly modest so I doubt Skylake would give you huge performance benefit; the most noticible thing is the new trackpad. Its not going to run Facebook or Google Docs that much faster. Truth be told, buying a refurbished 2013 or 2014 would work for you and buying used/refurbished would get you a larger drive with more RAM which would be more important in future proofing your computer.

That being said Skylake will have a battery life improvement and might come with a physical redesign, but if you need a computer now, its not like it will feel slow to you.

PS. Buying used now means you could upgrade in a year or two if you like the redesign and you won't take the financial hit of depreciation like you would with a new computer. Apple's refurbs are great and they come with a new battery.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I thought you were looking at the classic MBP.
    The base Retina 13" at $1300 is a good value. You can find it on sale for $100 off often at Best Buy and if you have an .edu email, right now you can get another $100 off at Best Buy.

11. petewentz thread starter macrumors newbie

i have thought about it but it only have a single port and i dont really like that and i dont want to purchase add on cords that cost $40 just to lose them

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The current base retina MacBook Pro is a great computer if 128GB of storage is enough for you.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Bear in mind that Type-C is an open standard which means that anyone can make cheap cables.

14. petewentz thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think 128GB would be enough for me?

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have no idea, but you can figure it out based on what your needs are. I bought the 512GB model because I needed the space.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Wait for what?? Both the macbook pro lines have been updated in the last 3 months there will be nothing new until next year.

Any modern computer will handle that use case fine, although using chrome as your browser will significantly lower your battety life and use more resources than necessary on a mac in osx.

Buy whichever macbook you like with confidence, it will be great machine for you.

17. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Just upgraded from a Late 2011 to a Mid 2015 Pro 15". What a weapon it is and the screen is amazing. Wait? Don't be daft, get it and enjoy it :)