Wait to buy refresh until Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2Turbo, Feb 20, 2011.

  1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

    2Turbo

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    #1
    Should I wait until Lion is released to buy the new refresh MBP? I ask because who knows how much the upgrade might cost this time around.
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #2
    I wouldn't wait. Lion isn't going to be more than 150 bucks. Using a MBP until the release it worth it to me.
     
  3. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

    Neolithium

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2010
    Location:
    Wherever the army needs me.
    #3
    I'd just buy the refresh on release. Should you do the same? Only you can really decide that.
     
  4. SerrQ macrumors member

    SerrQ

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2011
    Location:
    Iceland, Reykjavík
    #4
    I think and hope that it doesn't cost much more than Snow Leopard
     
  5. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #5
    Lion is a bigger change than Leopard to Snow Leopard so it's more likely the cost will be similar to the Tiger to Leopard upgrade.

    I wouldn't wait for Lion either. If Lion gets delayed you might end up waiting for the next MBP refresh (could think Lion's release is too close to when the MBPs next get updated) after Lion's release.
     
  6. McGiord macrumors 601

    McGiord

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Dark Castle
    #6
    My experience when I bought my late 2008 MBP was that in a few months they released New ones that fully supported 8GB of RAM and the audio out via the MiniDisplay port, and my MBP was crippled so quickly. The battery is replaceable and sucks, the improved ones got more and more battery life.
    So for all the new features of Lion there surely will be some hardware limitations in the Macs released before Lion.
     
  7. Kalach macrumors member

    Kalach

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    #7
    Lion will most likely be a lot more expensive than upgrade from leopard to snow leopard. If you're on a tight budget you should wait :)
     
  8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #8
    Didn't mba owner get discounted price for future lion osx?
    Based on this, new mbp this thursday should be able to run lion in full mode.
     
  9. aaps59 macrumors regular

    aaps59

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    NY
    #9
    Lion is most likely going to cost 30 bucks. If you dont feel like spending 30 dollars in a few months then just wait.
     
  10. Jollins macrumors regular

    Jollins

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    #10
    With Snow Leopard, Apple let people who bought a Mac 6 months prior to its release order an "upgrade" disc for $10 (it turned out to be identical to the retail one). They may do this with Lion.
     
  11. McGiord macrumors 601

    McGiord

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Dark Castle
    #11
    My point is that there might be some hardware limitations for certain things, even you can run the latest OS.
     
  12. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

    2Turbo

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    #12
    Doesn't seem like they'd upgrade anything in just a couple months when Lion is released. But what do I know. :)
     
  13. alfmil, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

    alfmil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #13
     
  14. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

    FriarNurgle

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    #14
    If you need it now, buy it now.

    If you can wait, wait. There will likely be refurbs of the refreshed models by then also.
     
  15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #15
    Yea go ahead and wait. In fact, why don't you wait for Snow lion?

    In fact, why don't you wait for Mac OS dragon?

    Mac OS lion is due to be released this summer. It could be August or be as late as September.

    There will be another rumor spreading all over the internet about new MBP, then.
     
  16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #16
    Doubt it. SL was 30 because it was basically just a tuned up leopard. Lion is expected to bring more than just that.
     
  17. bensnowden macrumors newbie

    bensnowden

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2010
    #17
    I can't see why there would be any hardware update before Lion, surely the new MBP will have had lion tested on it, and specs made so that it can run Lion smoothly?
     
  18. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

    2Turbo

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2011
    #18
    So you guys really think it could be updated with important features like lightpeak, etc.? Just seems weird to update that soon with such new features. But who knows.
     
  19. neko girl macrumors 6502a

    neko girl

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    #19
    I would be very surprised if Lion wasn't a free upgrade for the new MBPs.
     
  20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #20
    Probably only for macs purchased like 90 days before the Lion release.
     
  21. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2010
    #21
    I'm personally holding off unless my beloved 2 year old MBP decides to die on me. This thing has been extremely reliable and without directly comparing it to any of the newer MBP, I really do not feel that it's in any way outdated. I'm sure it's not as fast but as long as I keep my hands away from the new ones, I wouldn't know that. Ignorance is bliss :D
     
  22. OneMike macrumors 601

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #22
    I'd bet Lion will be $29 for upgrade disk.

    For me that makes it worth the upgrade. Plus an upgrade disk has always been a full disk. For $30 it's worth it to me.

    And if I remember right wasn't Leopard 10.5 $30 as well?
     
  23. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #23
    I strongly suspect Lion (10.7) will be a lot like Leopard (10.5), which retailed at $129 with $9.95 up-to-date program for those that have purchased a Mac within 1 month prior to Lion's release date.
     
  24. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

    Fubar1977

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, UK
    #24
    This is the absolute truth.
    Only you know what your current needs/situation are as you did not specify them.
     
  25. vsighi macrumors 6502

    vsighi

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #25
    I think is better to buy the full LION OS then going with Lion OS upgrade. What you guys think.?
     

Share This Page