Wait to get an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by julienko3, Oct 29, 2008.

  1. julienko3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    #1
    I plan to get an iMac around February, but was wondering if they'll have some price drop or updated hardware such as being able to support 8gb of ram. Should I wait until then? Does it matter?
    Am I asking too early?

    Thanks.
     
  2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

    204467

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #2
    By February, there will probably be at least a spec bump, if not some new features. I guess you'll be fine if you wait that long.
     
  3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

    Big-TDI-Guy

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    #3
    Honestly, if you need 8gb of ram - you likely need a mac pro. (which currently supports up to 32gb).

    From my guess - the imac is about mid-way through it's current gen life-cycle, having a fairly recent hardware update. But the next update may be even later than Feb 09.

    Why do you feel you need 8gb?
     
  4. julienko3 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    #4
    ehh, I don't really feel I need 8gigs. I'm just generally wondering about speed bumps and specs - more importantly, price drops.
    I guess I'll ask in February! ;)
     
  5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

    Big-TDI-Guy

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    #5
    Price drops on current hardware maybe. But don't expect any dramatic price drop on the new iMacs that get released.

    Then again.... ?
     

Share This Page