Wait until 10.8.1?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by iMikeT, Jul 25, 2012.

  1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #1
    I'm really looking forward to upgrading to Mountain Lion and I'm really excited that it was released today.

    I've been looking through the forums for issues and bugs before making the jump but haven't really found anyone saying they have serious issues since the upgrade.

    My question is, should I (and others as well) go ahead and upgrade with this release or wait until 10.8.1 is released?
     
  2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

    lannister80

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    #2
    I'm running it on a 2008 Mac Pro with no issues. Everything I need works just fine.

    /shrug
     
  3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #3
    I wouldn't. It's way more polished than 10.7 ever was, IMO.
     
  4. Variant macrumors 6502

    Variant

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2005
    #4
    Yup. If you look at all the complaints on the forum (there are a lot!), most are regarding the OS itself, not bugs that have been found.
     
  5. John.B macrumors 601

    John.B

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Holocene Epoch
    #5
    Even if you don't wait until 10.8.1, maybe wait a few days on any computer running anything important. Give the early adopters time to ferret out the worst of any bugs.

    The alternative would be to clone your Mac's hard drive, and upgrade the cloned drive to test out that any critical applications you may rely on still work correctly under 10.8.x. But always -- always -- have a bootable external drive with the old OSX version (in my case that's Snow Leopard) to keep around for a few weeks or a month, so you can get back to the old system if necessary.

    YMMV, but probably not.
     
  6. 618537 Guest

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
  7. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #7
    Thanks for the replies.

    I think I'll be updating to Mountain Lion 10.8.x as soon as I can at this point. Whether that's in the next few days, weeks, or possibly month(s) is unknown. I have an upgrade process that I usually go through and I'm going to try my hardest to stick to tradition, if upgrading to Mountain Lion is delayed in the process, so be it.

    My biggest concern at this point is the third-party apps that I use being broken because of developers not updating their code (even though they've had months to do so) and any bugs/major issues other users have been having with Mountain Lion. Both of these are what I have been looking for in the past couple of days.
     
  8. chinhiphone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    #8
    ive ran into a sleep bug and also a power down bug.

    sometimes my comp doesnt wake from sleep or when i power down my fans will run full speed for like 30-45 seconds after shut down

    i might do a reinstall over again to see
     

Share This Page