Wait until Black Friday to order loaded iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bghead8che, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Bghead8che macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I really need a new computer but I'm willing to wait until Black Friday if the deals are better. I'm going to purchase a loaded 27" iMac.

Based on the past will there be any deals worth waiting for? Right now I'm looking at $3189 including tax.

Thanks for the heads up! Would also appreciate any money saving tips that I may not be aware of. Right now I'm about to pay retail + tax and that's not typically what I do.

Thanks!

-Brian

2. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I think the typical deals I recall on newer iMacs are $100 off or a $100 gift card bundled with it. I could be making that up, but I don't expect anyone to heavily discount them.

If you want to avoid CA's stupidly high taxes, I usually order from B&H Photo or Adorama.

3. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

get a discover card and I believe you can save at least 5%.

4. madthras macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't know if Apple offers this scheme in US, but I bought an 5k iMac late 2015, fully specced and I saved 379.96 US Dollar (from £ conversion). There is this student education scheme, where you get a huge discount, if you are a student. You simply need to go the apple website, click "live chat" and tell the employee assisting you, which iMac you want and state that you are a student, after she/he asks you which university you go to, and just tell her any random university that is in your local area, and then that is it, no check ups nothing, he/she will then give you the link to the check-out page with a student discount (-379.96 US Dollar) + 3 years of warranty and free delivery = Profit.

Oh, and did I mention? You don't have to be a student, just lie. The employee will not check it, but in some cases, they will ask, for a screenshot of proof, so say to them "I got a student profile on my university webpage, and I got the details of enrolment" She will accept that, but at the end of the purchase, she will not ask you for the proof, my friend tried my approach, but he wasn't a student, he still got the student discount. = profit.

In my case, I was a student, but she never checked.

Hope that helps and good luck.

5. feeth macrumors 6502

Adorama is a custer F with these deals. Expect to have your CC charged within a few days and wait a month.

6. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I am a student at a university and I am considering getting a new iMac. Can you tell me how much the discount would have been if you had bought through the 'regular' education store, to have something to compare with? I bought my current MacBook Pro through the education store, but did not know about that particular way of doing it. Also, do you know if the same higher discount also applies for in-store purchases?

Thanks

7. feeth macrumors 6502

Eat my words! My new iMac arrived today.

8. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Always use the student discount, they offer discounts on even iPads now.

9. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 68000

Cutiekitty92

Student discount all the way, just got my brand new iMac thanks to it!

10. scottish macrumors 6502a

My order was £1,982.40 with HE discount and 3 year AppleCare.
    In store you get the same higher discount but have to pay (I think £50) for AppleCare.
    Regular edu store (no verification needed) would have been £2,211.60 (£94.80 of that is 3 year AppleCare).
    Regular price would have been £2,392.00 (£139 of that is 3 year AppleCare).

11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

if it's a BTO one, it'll only be available from apple.com, typically no big deals on BF.

you best bet to save your money:
    go to orgen or other tax-free states (~10%)
    be a student (~$200+, i.e., ~10% excluding tax)
    go to bestbuy and get a bestbuy membership for cash back (5%)
    go to ebay to buy a bestbuy 'movers' coupon (10%)
    use discover apple pay at bestbuy (10%)

so in total, you'll be looking at ~35% of excluding tax, 45% off if you take tax into consideration..
    (yes, i know 10% off 90% is not the same as 10% of 100%, it's just an estimate)

edit: sorry i just checked, student discount on imacs now are only $50..

12. madele macrumors member

madele

Just purchased a 21" iMac 4K - i5 - 16GB - 2TB Fusion .. I wonder .. Should I cancel and wait for Black Fri ??

13. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

If you do a google search of Black Friday deals last year on Apple products you see Apple offering $100 gift cards and Apple resellers taking maybe a $100-150 off. Best Buy, MacMall, B&H, Adorama etc won't have built to order models in stock and will be pushing base models. Below is a description of deals LAST year. I personally would not wait.

Apple iMac 21.5" Core i5 All-in-One Desktop at Best Buy for $900
    Outside of refurbs, it's extremely difficult to find a sub-$1,000 iMac. In fact, the 21.5" iMac hit $980 just once this entire year. So at $900, this iMac is a stellar deal; the Apple Store will offer the next best deal on iMacs. It's bundling a $100 gift card on all iMac and iMac 5K Retina deals.

14. madele macrumors member

madele

So are you saying that on the new one I purchased direct on-line from Apple or was it only in the brick and mortar stores and for the base models I could get a $100 gift card last year ??

15. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that Black Friday is a week away, why not wait. Every little bit of savings helps ;)

17. madele, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015

madele macrumors member

madele

I was given a 3% discount because we have a business and so I am not sure how that would affect anything ??

I do not think if they did select it would include something like mine : 21" iMac 4K - i5 - 16GB - 2TB Fusion.

Please can you tell me what BTO or BF stand for ??

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I think Apple Insider/Adorama has the best deals right now. I saved about $107 on a 21.5" using a sale price combined with credit card cash back and Ebates. No Black Friday Deal. Took a week to ship from Apple.

19. madele macrumors member

madele

I am curious to know which computer you got and how much you saved .. Thank you for mentioning the week !!

20. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

That's probably not going to happen.

Is there any way to block a poster on this forum, or is ignore the best that I can do?

21. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

BTO= built to order, I.e., customized one
    Bf= black friday

22. madele, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

madele macrumors member

madele

23. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Thank you for elaborating on the savings :) A great help

24. Macmamamac macrumors regular

What did you order? Was it the i7 with M395X?