Wait until iPhone launch event to buy MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codeoverride, Aug 19, 2017.

  1. codeoverride macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #1
    I need a new MacBook Pro but it's not super urgent. I'm wondering if there is any chance of a spec update to the MacBook Pro lineup during the iPhone launch event or if it's safe to buy it before the event. Thanks so much!
     
  2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

    dwfaust

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    I am here => [•]
    #2
    I’d say no spec bump announced at the iPhone event. Maybe a minor bump in the October time frame, if anything at all. Typically the minor bumps happen without much fanfare.
     
  3. Ashton Cofer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #3
    I would definitely buy now. There's a very little chance that a new model will be released until sometime in 2018 considering that it was just updated in June of 2017 (75 days ago). The average number of days between refreshes is 303 days so it will probably be a while before another refresh.
     
  4. codeoverride thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #4
    I hadn't looked at MacBooks in a really long time so I started researching this laptop which is actually for my wife and I found it to be super frustrating. For example, the MacBook and the MacBook Pro start at the same price $1299 but the MacBook actually has more storage than the MacBook Pro. I understand that pretty much everything else is superior on Pro but for the same price, it's weird that anyone would pick the MacBook unless they really want more color options, a lighter laptop or a 1" smaller display which seems really irrelevant. Also confusing that MacBook Air is now thicker than the MacBook.
     
  5. Falhófnir macrumors 6502a

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #5
    I'm wondering if Apple might re-adjust the price down a smidge in the UK as the pound seems to have stabilised between $1.28 to $1.32 which is meaningfully more than the $1.21 to $1.23 range when it set the prices back in Oct '16. If you're in the US then I wouldn't expect anything, and if you're in a country where the currency has dipped against the USD then the sooner the better!
     
  6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #6
    I wouldn't expect to see another MacBook Pro "refresh" until March-June 2018 at the earliest.

    If you "need now", BUY now.
    Otherwise, wait it out.
     
  7. hajime macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #7
    When will be the iPhone launch event?
     
  8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

    dwfaust

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    I am here => [•]
    #8
    There are rumors that say September 12 is the date... but nothing official from Apple yet.
     
  9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #9
    I wouldn't expect to see new MacBook Pro's at the September event.

    Mac Pro's and a (finally) revised Mac Mini -- maybe.
     
  10. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #10
    Considering the Pros were just announced and moved to a new chipset, can't imagine we'll see any updates soon.
     
  11. scotttnz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2012
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #11
    Agreed. The MacBook Pros were just updated, so won't be again so soon.

    I expect that we may get some more details on the iMac Pro, and there's a slim chance that we will see a teaser for the Mac Pro. I'd love to see a new Mac Mini with one of the new Quad Core CPUs Intel just announced, but I don't dare to get my hopes up.
     
  12. Tech198 macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Location:
    Australia, Perth
    #12
    Get a Macbook Pro now.... even if it is a spec bump, today, with performance increases, it usually arn't that much of a difference. I wouldn't be ut off if a new one does come just after you bought it either.... Is there a really a concern u must have the latest ?
     
  13. mpConroe macrumors member

    mpConroe

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2017
    Location:
    Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
    #13
    Buy now, as somebody said before, there is only 70 days after update. I just bought new iMac which update was at the same event and I love it!
     
  14. Tork macrumors regular

    Tork

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2006
    #14
    As others have said, no chance of a spec bump for a while now. But, now that we're a few months past the last spec bump, we're starting to see sales on the new models from third party retailers. Best Buy in the U.S., for example, had $100-$200 off many of the newest models last week and a lot of other retailers matched it, so I'd wait for a deal at this point in time if it's not an immediate need.
     
  15. hajime macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #15
    So, no chance a new MBP will be available by the end of the year?
     
  16. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #16
    Apple's update in June was 8 months after the previous announcement (when the TouchBar was introduced) and I believe that's the fastest they've ever been updated. So pretty much zero chance.

    You can always wait for a new update to come out, but unless it's a machine that hasn't been updated in a really long time there's not much of a point.
     

Share This Page