Wait until October?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Klisk, May 29, 2007.

  1. Klisk macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #1
    Okay, here's the deal:

    I'm incredibly patient, and I ran into enough money that I could buy a macbook now if I wanted to. I know that they were *just* updated 2 weeks ago and right now would in theory be the 'perfect' time to buy one, but considering my patience, should I just wait until October until Leopard releases, and "hopefully" a GPU upgrade around the same time considering it would be 6+ months? A GPU upgrade would be a deal sealer for me, and I don't mind waiting. (Though I know it's not really necessary.)

    I know most people will likely say to get it now and then upgrade to Leopard in October, but I'm disabled and probably won't be able to afford it by then considering I don't exactly get a paycheck every week. I'm also not in college, so no edu discount. :eek:

    I would definitely be purchasing applecare with it, either way, since I would be planning to keep the laptop for as long as possible. ;) But that is another reason I'm considering waiting for a GPU upgrade as well.

    I will mostly be using the laptop for audio recording, but I would still like to have some graphics capability for peace of mind. (Some low-end games, animation, etc.)

    Thanks. :)
     
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #2
    If you won't be able to afford it in October, how can you afford it now?

    And isn't there some kind of disability pension you can get?
     
  3. Klisk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #3
    I just meant if I bought it now, I fear that come October I won't be able to afford the upgrade to Leopard, not that I couldn't afford the macbook in general. :) I could always put the money aside for just the macbook now and wait for October, but if I bought the macbook now any money I have left over may not be enough for the upgrade. I'm on that fine line of being able to afford it, or not. (I got a small amount of money via inheritance.) Most of my money from disability goes towards bills/food, so while I could in theory save up enough slowly, it's hard for me to do so. (Hence easier to wait.)

    Then again, right now I'm on a 1.0ghz PIII system that I built back in 1999, so pretty much anything I buy would seem wonderful compared to this system, haha! :)
     
  4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #4
    that makes more sense :)

    I reckon it'd be best to wait for Leopard to come out. As good as the MacBooks are now, it's coming to the point where if you can wait, you probably should.
     
  5. RacerX macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    #5
    If you've stayed with an older system all this time, why is the upgrade to 10.5 such a big deal for you? If you can't afford the upgrade when it comes out, so what... don't upgrade. It isn't like your system isn't going to function anymore because you didn't buy 10.5 the day of it's release.

    Frankly, chasing upgrades without a compelling reason for upgrading seems like a waste of money to me. Buy your MacBook and use 10.4 until you have a truly compelling reason to move to 10.5.
     
  6. Klisk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #6
    That's a good point, but with the release of Leopard, I have a feeling there will also be a GPU update which is very appealing to me and won't be upgradable if I buy now. :)

    Thanks for the advice, though, both of you. :D
     
  7. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #7
    Leopard may make the experience NICER, which is what OS X is all about...

    Who knows, Time Machine could save him in multiple situations...
     
  8. Klisk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #8
    Hrrrm... sounds like the only real reason to wait is for the GPU, then? Is it worth waiting for that? I mean, I don't mind waiting, honestly. :) But if I could order one now (or in June when they do the free ipod deal?) that would be awesome too.
     
  9. Klisk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #9
    Anyone? :) Thanks.
     

Share This Page