Wait until the iMac Refresh in '09?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WickedSick, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. WickedSick macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    So I'm thinking about holding out purchasing a new iMac until next year. I currently have an Original Rev. A G5 1.6 single and its definitely time to upgrade. That and my 17' cinema display is starting to die I think (Its a little fuzzy in the top left corner) What do you guys think will happen when the iMac is refreshed again in 09. Will we expect to see better GFX card options? A mild speed increase? I want to play games on my iMac so if the Graphics will get a boost I will definitely wait. I thought about another Giant Mac tower but I just don't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on computers anymore. Thanks for your input guys!.

    P.S. This is my first post at macrumors. Long time reader, figured it was time to register =P
  2. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular


    May 31, 2008
    Cali baby!
    if you CAN wait, wait.

    Nahalem chipsets (09 release) are supposed to be a big improvement over Santa Rosa. Nahalem iMacs are going to be fassst.
  3. TallManNY macrumors 601


    Nov 5, 2007
    Give me a break. Waiting until 2009?!? If that is an option, then you aren't seriously in the market. Or you don't need to be in the market, at the very least. That is like closing in on a full Moore's Law cycle. Yeah, they will be way faster.

    The Imac is way fast. I have the generation right before the current generation. It is sweet. It plays Warcraft very well. It would play other games fine as well, I suspect. But I don't play other games on my machine.

    It does productive stuff really well. It load pictures fast and it can edit them fine. The current iMac would do that even better.

    Think about it this way, if you are going to wait a year, you are talking about waiting another 2% of your expected remaining life (just guessing you are young) using a more marginal computer than you could be using. So that next 2% will be worse than it could be. Yes you will have a little more money save for next year. Yes next year's computer will be better. But if you buy now, you can start saving for 2010s computer and then you will have an earlier jump there than if you buy a 2009 and upgrade again in 2011. Seems to me if you buy now you are always ahead of the game over your alternative universe brother who waits until 2009.

    Sorry for the rambling post. I've been out and having many drinks.
  4. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a


    Jul 2, 2008
    The bottom line is, if you can wait, then wait. My G4/400 is getting to be too poky, so I've got a new iMac on the way, but I do expect a minor Montevina update for the iMac before the end of the year.

    However, if you're waiting specifically for Nehalem, it's going to be a long wait. The high end chips (Mac Pro) are scheduled for the end of this year, but the mainstream chips (Consumer) aren't due until the 3rd quarter in 2009. And keep in mind, Intel has already missed two ship dates (Penryn, Montevina) this year, so there is no guarantee that schedules will be met.

    I wouldn't hold out hope for a serious GFX upgrade either. Apple has a clearly defined philosophy about the cards they spec, and it's not likely to change. The iMac started out as a low-end consumer computer, and then assumed the mid-range position by default, so it's also unlikely to get the latest and greatest GFX cards.
  5. Hates macrumors regular

    Jul 10, 2008
    London, UK
    The iMacs were only refreshed a couple of months ago. If feel like they aren't up to date enough now, how are you going to feel a couple of months after purchasing your '09 model. If you've got no problems using your current machine then wait. If it's really time for you to upgrade, then upgrade :)
  6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2008
    09! That update is more than 6 months away and you're considering waiting. What happens when that model comes out? Will you then decide to wait for the next update?

    Here's the rule of thumb, if you need the upgrade and can afford the upgrade, buy the upgrade. I guarantee this imac will blow the machine you have away.
  7. WickedSick thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    Well how often do the iMacs normally receive an update to their Graphics cards. The Nvidia 8800GS is nice but maybe they'll give it more juice by winter of next year? Of course anything would be better than my current Radeon 9800 ;)
  8. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 12, 2005
    As good as the current iMacs are, waiting for nehalem is wise imo. It seems reasonable to suspect nehalem iMacs in late Spring or WWDC 09...with nehalem Mac Pros earlier at MW 09. Bottom line: Nehalem is a BIG deal.

Share This Page