Wait, why am I using my computer, again?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snowfall, Jan 19, 2010.

1. snowfall macrumors member

There are times when I sit down on my computer to do something, but get so distracted by emails, social media, or just whatever crosses my digital path on the way to doing what I set out to do, that I forget why I flipped open my mac in the first place.

Does anyone else have this problem?

My solution so far is to keep a pad of paper next to my mac, where I write down why I'm there. However, I was wondering if there were any productivity apps that might help.

Perhaps something that requires me to write down my purpose before doing anything, keeps a floating reminder of my intentions, etc.

So easily distracted, so sad...

2. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

3. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Productivity apps = ical. Often on busy days I make a list of all my things I have to do as different events. THen when I do them I drag them to the trash.

I like this because the list stays current across all my computers and my iphone. (I have mobieme.)

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Unplug your Internet. :D

(only works if you don't need to be online to do your work though)

5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I saw a sweet program once called "Concentrate" or "Focus" or something like that.

The idea being is that you set it all up to block certain websites, programs, tasks, etc. and then when you need to focus on what you want to do, you hit the focus button, it blocks all of those things for your alloted amount of time you want, and you do productive STUFF!

lol. might work for you?

Edit: Here is the link :) http://getconcentrating.com/

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't walk while using your iPhone or iPod Touch! Texting while walking has become a significant cause of pedestrian injuries. Seriously! I just read it in the Sunday paper while.... well, that would be too personal!

7. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recommendation and the link. I had heard of this, but never got around to looking for it... probably got sidetracked!

Speaking of sidetracked, I followed some links from the Concentrate site and found a few other applications that might be helpful.

Focus Booster A focus timer app
    Think - illuminates individual apps, and hides the other ones
    SimpleTask - a task list app

8. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! The Mac Break video was informative:

"A lot of us are functionally ADD because we just get so much stimulus when we're doing technology stuff."

9. plong macrumors newbie

I have a problem with remembering what I'm doing as well. It seems I get too distracted by the internet.

Does anyone know of a good timer app? One that I can program to start counting whenever Safari is open, to keep my eye on how much time I'm actually wasting? Bonus points if this program can stay visible in the menu bar.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Kitchen Timer 1.0
    Goes on your Desktop (the real one)
    Makes ticking sound
    Loud "bing" will wake you up after interval you set
    ;)

11. plong macrumors newbie

LOL, I already thought of that one!

But what I want is something that will keep a daily time of my browser usage. Say I log in and go online for 5 minutes in the morning, then later when I log back in, I want it to start counting again from where it left off, with a cumulative total at the end of the day.