Wait... Why do I have to do this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kantosam, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Kantosam macrumors member

So, after reading many threads regarding Ipod Touch 4g battery issue, I'm -- you know, taking mental notes, recalling stuff... When this thing finally hits Japan, I'm replacing my 8gig 2g. But then, this vexing question hits me. My current Ipod Touch (the 2g) battery lasts for at least 4-5 days on standby and I've never had to do the nightly "turn-off-wifi-to conserve battery." What am I missing? Right? I mean, am I just whining about a product I don't own yet, or does it make sense that -- in the battery management category -- that the latest Ipod Touch is inferior at managing battery levels then a "touch" two generations its senior when in the same wifi standby mode? :confused:

2. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I don't have to switch off wifi nor close out open Apps. My battery is lasting days with heavy usage.

3. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Some iPods do use more battery life in standby. I don't know why. Some say it depends on which apps you have open(like Skype which I don't use) and also having wifi on. I was going by the advice that I read on this forum, to turn off wifi when not in use. Well I finally tested it for myself and could barely tell the difference between leaving wifi on all the time or shutting it off when not in use or standby. Maybe I missed the definitive answer to this question somewhere, if so hopefully someone will repost it here.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If your iPod Touch is "lasting days with heavy usage" then you have a different definition of "heavy usage" than most of us do.

5. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I agree with sracer. My touch last only a few hours with "heavy usage" (in my definition watching videos or surfing the web). I have alwasy wifi turned off and the battery lasts around one week.

6. kelving525 macrumors regular

It's already available in Japan as far as I know. My aunt got the 64GB for 33,000Yen.

7. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

You can not have your cake and eat it too

Well you all wanted multitasking, and you have a limited form of it with iOS 4.1 so you have to be cognizant of what might be running in the back ground. This will eat up batteries big time. There are a number of App's which keep tabs on this and enable you to control them. :)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say!
    My 4G iPod Touch arrived on Saturday and has been under "heavy usage" (2 hours on games, an hour of video, 3 hours of music, always-on Wifi for email and Facebook message retrieval). I have to charge it every night.

9. quackerjack macrumors newbie

i've had my 4g touch for 2 weeks now and jailbroken with sbsettings, winterboard running. checking processes and memory regularly will show facetime always on, likely notification only, but notifications/push are turned off.

i've noticed some really interesting things about the battery, but (caveat) i'm certainly not an engineer.

the charge seems very elastic. for instance, full charge and run safari/opera +wifi for 15 min and battery will drop 5% (approx). run the camera in video or still mode and battery will drop 15% in 5 minutes. where it starts to get interesting is a seemingly elastic behaviour of the battery that will bring it back up 33-66% of used charge (making actual use abut 5-10% of total charge instead of 15%) when switching to a another function such as video, or more dramatically, sleep mode for a few minutes.

it has me wondering, but unable to test, whether certain components in the touch are receiving the correct charge drain such as the camera. an autofocus module would need a touch more power than an unfocusable element in a nearly bare ccd, or a tn screen vs ips.

while this is entirely speculative and based on very limited information, after antennagate, it would appear as though any number of mistakes are capable of being rushed through and denied.

/idle thoughts + coffee.

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

My iPod Touch 4G lasts for 2-3 days between charges with "light" usage.

Light daily usage meaning:
    * polling 6 e-mail accounts all day, alarms, notifications, etc all running
    * 30-40 minutes of web browsing, checking e-mail
    * 30 minutes of game play (geoDefense, Angry Birds, etc.)
    * 1 hour of music during my daily run

I leave WiFi on all the time. Battery life has been great.

I did have it go dead over night a couple times when running an earlier version of the Skype App. I close Skype when I'm not expecting a call now, and just let Skype push notify me. It might be fixed by now, I know folks were complaining about it.

11. Kantosam thread starter macrumors member

Annnnnd, it is here. And in my hands. (And waaaay less than 33,000 円! This exchange rate does not favor buying these on the local economy.)

So far, battery seems fine. I guess it is the multitasking capability that's earning the critical battery reviews?

12. b00ya macrumors member

My iPod battery drains from 100% over night to 0% if I dont turn off Wifi. If it turn it off it still drains a ridiculous amount that it obviously shouldnt.

My iPhone4 battery lasts about 3-4 hours if I'm lucky.

Conclusion: New generation apple products are not even worth 1/4 what they cost. Very displeased.

My heavily used 1st gen iPhone can outlast both of these brand new batteries in almost any app. Pathetic really.