Wait... Why Do I Want an iMac Again?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by One Still Sheep, Oct 18, 2012.

1. One Still Sheep macrumors member

One Still Sheep

Let me start by saying that this is not intended to be some sort of trolling post about Apple, this is legitimate question: while waiting for the new iMac to be announced (hopefully less than a week away), and hearing some of the speculation concerning the refresh, do you ever find yourself asking, "Wait, why am I so obsessed about a new iMac?" To be clear, I am personally very interested in what the new iMac will hold as I've been considering a new one for over a year.

Now, I have bought and used both Apple and non-Apple computers for years, so I don't really understand the fanboyism attached to Apple; different computers for different jobs. That being said I am curious to see what Apple will cook up this time around, and I do think a top-end iMac could make a nice little video-editing machine.

Simply put: I'd ready to buy a new iMac... but I can't help but think about all the negative aspects of buying a new Apple AIO. For example, the unpleasant combination of Apple having a narrowly-defined vision for their computer line-up, and the fact that this iFuture doesn't really appeal to me. And of course I feel confident in saying that everyone reading this post is aware that non-Apple computers are typically cheaper (and often better equipped).

So I didn't start this thread looking for people to tell me why Apples are better than any other computer, and that I should be grateful that I am even allowed to purchase an iMac, nor is this a rant of how I could build a better machine for less (we just had one of those threads as I recall). I am just legitimately curious: while waiting for the iMac refresh do the loyal Apple consumers here find themselves questioning why they are so attracted to buying an iMac? Doesn't it sometimes feel constraining, as in: you know what you want from a computer, but you're just hoping that Apple will concede to your wishes and produce the product you want.

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

My answer is very short.

I love OS X — while I don't like is nearer and nearer to iOS —, and I love desktop machines. I've got a a 13" Air for portability.

3. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I think this statement sums it up and your decision really depends on your reaction to that.

The idea that Apple has a narrowly defined view for the computer lineup isn't anything new, it's been pretty much the same way for years. There's been a recent move more towards portability and the entire tablet segment is a new development, but their philosophy of offering hasn't changed much other than the non-upgradability of more machines in their current lineup.

Really, I think it's just a decision of what your goal and end use is. I work on PCs at work and Macs at home, either one will get the job done but I prefer a Mac based OS and have a few apps I'm very fond of that aren't available on the PC (I've yet to find any HTML/CSS apps on the PC better than Coda or Espresso).

If sheer horsepower is my goal I could certainly build a faster PC for the equivalent price (though we could probably debate the display), but as a graphic designer who also does some 3d animation I'm a user who requires more power than most and find the iMac offerings (assuming the new ones are in line with what we expect) to be more than powerful enough for the sort of work I do. With the iMac I also get a very aesthetically pleasing machine I can leave in my living room/office with minimal exposing cabling.

If I need to upgrade or something faster comes out I've got the benefit of being able to easily resell my machine for a surprisingly high percentage of the original purchase price. For me the slightly higher initial price is more than made up in resale.

There, that was about as benign as I could make it :)

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I have a feeling that when Apple finally releases the new iMac, it's design and quality of components will greatly influence my iFuture. If I didn't like OS X so much, I might already be gone to the Windows side...

5. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

Thank you, fig, for your polite response.

For me, the real appeal of the iMac is the quality display in an all-in-one; prior to last year, seemingly no company, other than Apple, actually offered a high-quality screen in an all-in-one. Also, on the upper-end at least, the iMac offers a fair amount of power, though it does come with a hefty (perhaps too hefty) price tag.

The iMac would be untouchable if it weren't for the recent crop of new AIO such as the Dell 27, which is cheaper and possibly better in some respects. So, from what I can tell from being on this forum, it comes down to two things:

1. Can you live without OSX?
    2. How much of a premium are you willing to pay for sleek design?

Could this be considered a fair assessment?

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Absolutely. Sums it up perfectly for me.
    1. Yes, but I don't want to, and can afford OS X.
    2. I love the sleek designs Apple creates, but there is a point in which they start sacrificing function for form. I do not like that.

7. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

My reason for needing an iMac is mostly for xcode/design. Since I cannot run xcode with mac os I really have no other option. I currently have a MacBook pro but the screen resolution/size is just way to small. Yes I have an external monitor but I need 2 big screens with all the design work that goes along with designing apps.

On a side note when or if I do get an iMac I plan on selling my MacBook pro and just having one device.

8. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Its a kiosk computer. The perfect computer for families that have one of those little desks off their kitchen. We have one. Even though most of our family computing is done on MacBook Airs and Pro's otherwise. The only other decent choice for stationary computing is a mini and external display(s).

However if you have to be convinced that an "iThings" future is good, buying anything Apple may not be your best choice. If you do like the ecosystem, operate various products in it and particularity like operating within OS X, then yeah buy an iMac.

If not like you said, there are a myriad of other choices.

9. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

Nice to hear from programmers on this thread; certainly a group that is under-represented by Apple's current image.

Apple, and its effect, is really interesting though, isn't it? Many people who love Apple also seem to be frustrated by the company, and the question of "How much are you willing to take?" seems to linger beneath the surface in threads about upcoming devices. This probably explains why some "ex-Apple converts" are so virulent toward Apple; it's a bad break-up.

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Not seeing your point really, are you saying that there is some ground swell of backlash against Apple? Because their financial indicators don't show one, or are you looking for leading indicators?

Part of the Apple thing is it is now the largest company in the world. It has a target on it from pundits, short sellers and more. When you are big you always have that sort of attention and some if will be seen in forums like this.

11. lozpop macrumors 6502

12. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

Some people just like iMacs and the apple ecosystem and most importantly osx and not deal with hackintoshes, we just want something that works right out of the box. We also love apple's designs. It's good to have choices.

13. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

No, I think there is something more to this than simply them being a target for being so large (a better example of course being Wal-Mart which receives exactly the opposite criticisms: impersonal, no quality control, caters to the impoverished, etc.); the complaints on this forum are largely not about Apple having too large of a market share.

I think there is a definite sense that loyal Apple users (pre-shiny users), have awoken to find a new Apple that is less concerned about making the best computer, and more concerned with cultivating a hip and trendy image.

Part of this is because Apple is a fascistic company; I don't mean this as an insult: fascism works very well, but it does tend to make people feel a bit uneasy if they do not agree with the accepted vision for the future. My thought is that a certain percentage of Apple users are somewhat trapped by OSX. By this I mean that they do not want to abandon the OS (or have a lot of money tied up in the software), and if they disagree with Apple's plans they really have no choice: your PowerBook isn't going to last forever, if you like OSX (or certain Mac-only software) you must accept Apple's new computer designs. Realizing that you disagree with Apple could be very uncomfortable because it might mean abandoning the OS/software you've come to love.

14. Jaykee macrumors member

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Thats possible but i would imagine this early set of users that you describe, the ones that hate the more shiny trend of Apple and our way or the highway stuff, are small in comparison to all those the shiny side of Apple brought into the fold.

It seems like the my way or the highway thing started with Jobs return, simplification of the product lines, closing of sears outlets etc., and that fascism was part of the catalyst of their success.

16. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

I completely agree in every regard.

17. thevidus macrumors newbie

I'm a photographer and besides it's a powerful machine (I know you can get more powerfull PC's for less money), it's so much nicer to edit beautiful pictures on a clean desk with a really beautiful piece of design as computer. It inspires me. And OS X indeed.

It's that simple for me :)

18. Mad Sativa, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Mad Sativa macrumors member

You start out by saying your not trolling. Think about that for a second. Your first statement, the number one thing on your mind when you started to type. I'm no troll

Join today troll?

And don't sit there and tell me DELL rocks the house. Please, all of us have been down the DELL road and we know what's at the end.

19. signatus macrumors member

signatus

The real question between the Mac and the PC dilemma is not how much horsepower you can get into the machine, but rather if the machine is able to get the most out of it.
    My experience tells me that a Mac with less powerful specs can render better results than a PC with more powerful ones, as it gets the maximum out of it. Obviously, you cannot compare an updated PC with an almost 2-year-old iMac.

20. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Me too.

I think that Apple has become a victim now of its own RDF and Cook has made a tactical mistake that will become more and more apparent in the years to come. It may even be a fatal one.

This is what I think it is: the iToys were initially conceived as a way to get Apple out of the financial doom they faced. And it worked. Jobs turned the company round. I can honestly remember when only fellow geeks even knew who Apple Computer were.

I'm not saying that was 'better' or 'worse' - what I am saying is that Cook (or maybe Jobs) bet the farm on the 'Post PC' era and also on Apple being the only player at the table.

That might change. Apple created a market and practically is really still the only player in it - but they could still be vulnerable down the line. Ive needs to keep producing...if he goes it's game over. If he messes up then it's still bad....and sooner or later he will go.

Also sooner or later fashion will change - it always does. And Apple now are catering to fashion. Solely. If that bubble bursts then Apple will go with it unless they can adapt. Which remains to be seen...maybe they are doing and that's what we see and complain about (those who've so far resisted the Kool Aid).

They may have no core pro user base to fall back on when it happens either.

21. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

There is such a tendency to assume that anyone who asks questions about the motivations for buying a Mac, on a Mac forum, is a "troll" that I felt it necessary to establish my position up-front. In person there would be no need to do this as my facial expressions and tone of voice would convey that I am indeed interested in this topic and not merely "trolling" (whatever that really entails).

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

All companies have to pivot to thrive and ultimately survive. Apple has demonstrated their ability to do so at least twice. Google as well.

Its not an easy thing to do. IBM did it and is still thriving.

Microsoft is about to try for a major pivot and Dell will no doubt be forced to because their own efforts in that area have largely failed.

23. Yamcha macrumors 68000

For me It's combination of things:
    • Mac OSX
    • Glossy IPS LED-Backlit Display
    • Apple Design
    • Silence

Those I would say are the deciding factors for me, and It's not that I don't build PC's, I've been doing it for 12 years and have built Hackintosh's several times..

But the reasons I listed are why I keep coming back to an iMac..

24. One Still Sheep thread starter macrumors member

One Still Sheep

I feel this way as well: having had all-in-ones it is hard to go back to big noisy towers. There are of course some small, quiet desktops, but nothing is quite as nice, from a simplicity point of view, as having everything in one device. Here, Apple almost has the market cornered, not completely, but really not many machines compare to an iMac in this regard.

25. jpix55 macrumors member

The Apple Ecosystem is why I started to buy Apple products. The more Apple products you have, the better they all work together. I don't think that having one standalone Apple product takes advantage of OSX and iOS.