Waited since Febuary - The time is now . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R-41157, Oct 16, 2008.

1. R-41157 macrumors member

Hello! It has been a while since I have posted . . . When i used to surf the forums I would become obsessed with waiting for the new notebooks to be released, so I decided to steer clear for a few months and get on with my life! Ive been waiting for the new notebooks since Febuary and have gone through all the events hoping and believing rumours like a naive PC user . . . finally they are here and a week before my 21st birthday! PERFECT!

So, after all the waiting I thought I would treat myself to the top spec Pro but since this first decision I have wondered if the huge price leap was actually justified, i do some design work but not enough to warrent the extra graphics card etc so to be honest, I would just be being greedy . . . one question I have is, with student discount is the leap from top end new macbook to low end new MBP worth it? To be honest I will mainly be surfing the net, looking at photos and doing some light design work! Shall I just use the saved cash to buy a cinema display?! Im thinking so but would be interested to know what you lot think!

One other question is this . . . does anyone have any figures of what the Higher/Further education discount % is at the moment? Or roughly at least! As I will be using this but cannot get to my uni's network to see the prices!

Cheers!!!

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if you dont also want to play games the mb would work fine. the student discount is as follows 2.1 mb $50 ,2.1mb $50, 2.4 mb $100, 2.4mbp $100, 2.53mbp $200 ,2.5mbp $200

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you want every last ounce of performance out of a game with a laptop then yes it would be worth it. Otherwise I would get the low end Macbook Pro.

For the $500 difference

4GB RAM $122 (Buy 2)
    24 Inch Display $350 (Has DVI, VGA and HDMI connectors; It is HDCP compliant, can use a VESA mount and has good customer reviews)
    Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter

or

4GB RAM $122 (Buy 2)
    320GB 7200 RPM HD $109
    External Enclosure $35 (for HD pulled from MBP)
    Wireless N Router $70
    Network Printer $120 (I would keep it wired to router to avoid downgrading network from N to G)