Waiting and Wondering about new Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

I have been researching a macbook for college for about 1 month now and I was wondering if there is a major difference between the 13inch and the 15inch macbook pro... also is there a possibility of an updated and cheaper macbook pro line before the Back to School promo?? Also would you recommend the "new macbook" that is said to come out in days... or would you recommend a macbook pro??

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given that I have no clue what the updates will look like, it seems hard to make a judgement.

3. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

ok... but would you recommend the 13inch or 15inch macbook pro for college/school use??

4. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

It boils down to:
    13" more portable

15" matte option, higher res screen, high performance graphics option (for games)

I would go for a smaller notebook *if* you can live with glossy screen (a good quality 20-24" external screen is always practical to have in your room) . Don't listen to a user called 'Shambo' from my brief 2 weeks on the forum it's clear he's a sandwich short of a picnic...

5. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

See my sig for more details.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

13" for a student (this is a no-brainer).

Good backpack mobility and it will fit on any desk.

7. dixie318 macrumors newbie

I'm a senior in college who has three more years of law school ahead of me. I absolutely love my 13-inch, 2.53 GHz MBP. It's light weight enough for me to slip into my backpack without any noticeable difference in the weight. I've played a few games on it, like Spore and Sims 3, both of which run terrifically on the 2.53, and honestly, I have not noticed any big difference going from a 15" Toshiba to the 13", as far as real estate goes. As far as everything else...well, I'll never own another PC. :)

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

13" hands down is the way to go. It's large enough for multitasking, it's small enough for portability. The 15" is just abominable in terms of carrying it around, too big for daily portability. Don't go for the 15", you'll wish you hadn't.

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

I got by with the 15" just fine. I brought it daily, so it's not really a burden (depending on how tall/strong you are). The overall weight difference is about 1 lbs. I've seen plenty of both on campus, so it really comes down to preference - desire to spend a certain amount of money vs. how much screen real estate you need, of course factoring in whatever special criteria you have (e.g. gaming, Photoshop usage, etc.). Besides that, they are virtually identical.

There is no "back to school promo" until the middle of next year, and yes they will probably be updated before then.

10. goMac macrumors 603

13" is better, but I carry the 15" because I'm a CS major with an emphasis in computer graphics, so I need the horsepower. :)

Either one is really fine, with the edge to the 13" because it's smaller and lighter. No MBP revisions on the horizon.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

i really love my 13"uMBP especially for grad school. however im really interested to see how the new macbook ends up (and when). For most of my uses the macbook would do just fine but I went for the pro because i wanted the multitouch trackpad and the backlight keyboard. The unibody design is a plus but wasnt necessary. If they drop the price of the MB it might make alot of sense for students (especially if they include the multitouch) but im not expecting a backlight keyboard in it ever.

since you can wait to see what happens before the back to school promo, id say see what apple delivers with but its possible you could get a macbook and external monitor for under $1000 if the rumors are true.

12. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

15" hands down you will get a 13" and want the 15":apple:

13. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for all the replys... i am planning on majoring in broadcasting and minoring in marketing(or double majoring)... and I will mainly use it for email, video editing, audio editing(i do podcasts), iwork/microsoft office (mainly keynote/powerpoint)... the biggest stuff i will do is upload videos from my digital camera or edit my podcasts so... how big of ram/hard drive would you suggest??

14. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

^ always get as much disk space and RAM as you can afford, though it might be cheaper to buy the base spec and upgrade yourself.

15. brendu macrumors 68020

then you def want the pro for the firewire 800. 4 gigs of ram would rock those apps, and prob want a 500 gig HDD at least.

EDIT: read that wrong, i thought you meant camcorder not digital camera. Im assuming your camera is usb not firewire.

16. daxomni macrumors 6502

I bought the most recent 15" MBP but I think I would have preferred the 13" honestly. I blame my GF for pushing the 15" but it's my own fault for asking her. As for upgrades, don't ever upgrade directly with Apple-supplied hardware. You're far better off buying a bigger or faster HDD and more RAM on your own and installing it yourself (or asking a computer geek friend to help). I just got done dropping one of those 12mm 750GB drives in my MBP and I understand the 13" can hold those (and the 1TB) as well.

17. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

I can upgrade both ram and hard drive on the MBP??... the only geek friend i have is a windows/microsoft/bill gates lover so he wouldnt touch a mac... can you buy regular ram and hard drive upgrade like you would on a regular pc or are the macs different in that regard??

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

And then I have the 17". It really is a personal preference, there is no wrong choice.

19. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys... is the switch from pc to mac easy?? ive never used a mac in my life but with the research ive done they seem like they are well worth the money?? Assuming the MBP's get updated in February or March... would it be a design change or the regular spec bump and price drop??

20. prodigee macrumors 6502a

The switch is really easy, (although I do use both 13" MBP for laptop, custom PC rig for desktop). They really are worth the money. The update in march would most likely just be a spec bump, I can't see another design change already, its way to early for that.

21. goMac macrumors 603

If you are going to be editing video the 15" might be better. The 13" is just fine for the task, but the 15" will have the 9600 which will make things better.

22. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I can't believe you're going to buy a mac, sight-unseen". You haven't done the proper research if you haven't even used one. And coming to a mac fanboy forum is going to get you nothing but biased answers.

There is one underlying difference in between the PC/Mac operating systems... Windows is much more keyboard friendly whereas OSX has been "dumbed down" to make you more dependent on the mouse. And the File system on the mac (Finder) is pretty basic as well - very much inferior to Windows.

As far as the build quality in macs, there's no equivalent in the PC world as far as I'm concerned. It's the main reason I switched.

23. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

Well you raise a great point Richard1028... but for what im doin I think that a mac would be better for me... for example... I think Imovie is better than movie maker and keynote than powerpoint... another example .... if i were an accountant and punching numbers i would buy a pc... and by used i mean have owned for a peroid of time... ive tried out macs for 30 min at a time but i havent been able to get fully acclimated with a mac

24. 7even macrumors 6502a

I have witnessed quite a few people (male, female, young, old) switching to macs cold turkey, so to speak... you shouldn't have an issue. As long as you're not held down by a specific (and great) piece of software that only PCs have, you should be fine.

25. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Absolutely this. I always went with the 15" models, and this newest Apple laptop is a 17". I love it, and I don't care that it's more of a hassle to cart around.

But then, I've always used my laptops as a desktop repalacement, so your mileage may vary. It all comes down to how portable you want it to be, if you own a desktop, if you like to use an external monitor... It's a pretty individual choice.