Waiting for 2.0 iPhone Software?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fingers, Jul 11, 2008.

1. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

I got to my local O2 store at 07:30am (Christchurch, UK). 20 people in queue, so I just drove home again, as the guy in the store yesterday said they would only be getting about 3 16GB and 16 8GB's in stock.

I am now resigned to sticking with my original iPhone for a little while longer. Have upgraded to iTunes 7.7, but am wearing out the "Check for update" button to get the 2.0 software. I want to use the "official" upgrade.

Anybody know when V2.0 for the iPhone will become available?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm going to say this one more time because it's getting more than a little tiring.

2.0 is already available. Apple just hasn't added it to iTunes yet. When they do, the only difference you'll see is that it downloads through iTunes rather than your web browser.

It will be the same software that is installed on your phone. I installed it and mine is working just fine.

There is no such thing as "unofficial" firmware. The linked files are on Apple.com and you don't get any more official than that.

3. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

Sorry to be completely tiresome, but do you have the official, unofficial link? ;):D

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I know this sounds ignorant, but there has been speculation that 5a347 is not the build that is going to be released to the public, and that 5a347 was meant for iPhone 3G only.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Click here

You need to go into the iPhone menu in iTunes, hold down the alt key and choose that file. Then give it time, I guess mine took around 10 minutes to actually complete the update.

It erases all of the data on your iPhone too so you need to sync it all again. The "official" update will erase everything too when it finally comes.

6. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

7. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Join the club. Now we just wait and wait for apple to "officially" launch the 2.0 update. *cue jeopardy music*

8. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

Worked like a treat. Thanks neiltc13 :D

For anyone playing along at home:
    Using Safari, I had to drag the zip file from the trash.
    I then renamed it, just deleted the ".zip" from the end of the filename.
    Then option (alt) clicked the "Restore" button in iTunes.
    Located the file ( now ending with .ipsw )
    Then it wiped my iPhone, restored it with V2.0, synced it, et voila, I can now download apps from the App Store on my iPhone. Fantastic!