Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
Is there literally no chance of Macbook Pro 14" this year?

I was hoping for a 14" display but other than that the new 13" MacBook Pro is everything I wanted and hoped for in a new Apple laptop.

Plus at the end of the day it's not as though there are any issues with the 13" display. Ignoring the bezel size is still one of the best screens in any laptop out there.

So yeah. I get your disappointment that more hasn't changed but at least everything which is there is pretty good and there aren't any issues with the device now the butterfly keyboard is gone and we have 10th gen processors available.

As above I can't see Apple updating their 13" laptop lineup this year again and I can't wait until next year as my current laptop died the other week so it's the 13" MacBook Pro or buy a Windows laptop....<Shudder!>

I do think we might see a refresh of the 16" MacBook with a new display and chipsets later this year though.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Tiger Lake is expected to be released in June, isn't it?
Maybe by the end of the year we will have news ...

I would like to buy the 13 "base, not worried because it is not a 14" (this will be bigger and heavier too)... but yes because we don't have the RAM at 3,733MHz.
I think this year I have no other hope than waiting to buy it on the "back to school" dates to at least get a gift

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
My current Mac Pro has the following stats. How will the current base model 16" Mac Book Pro compare to it?

* Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26Ghz
* 6mb Ram

Also, is it safe to assume a new 16" MBP will come around Xmas 2020?

Damien

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
Tiger Lake is expected to be released in June, isn't it?
Maybe by the end of the year we will have news ...

I would like to buy the 13 "base, not worried because it is not a 14" (this will be bigger and heavier too)... but yes because we don't have the RAM at 3,733MHz.
I think this year I have no other hope than waiting to buy it on the "back to school" dates to at least get a gift

If it's like Ice Lake then it'll be a while before the 28w versions suitable for the Pros are available. Ice Lake was ready for 15w configs later in 2019 and was seen in the Surface Laptop which came out in October.

Reactions: mbaire

dahlblom

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
After having used my RMBP 13" 2017 model (which is by far the worst MBP product I´ve owned in terms of keyboard malfunctioning, to name a few...) - I´m shockingly still considering urging for a new 14" version. MACOS is just too convenient. Sucks that it´ll be until 2021.

Reactions: simonmet

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
My wish list for the 16” includes:
  • mini-LED ProMotion (!) Display
  • 12-core A14X Processor
  • Improved 1080p webcam (w/ FaceID if possible)
  • A little bit lighter (can the efficiency benefits of ARM be used to get the same battery life while decreasing battery capacity a smidge?)
If they put those first three things in a 14.1” model first I might end up getting that, but I hope the 14.1” and 16” models launch simultaneously.

Reactions: scouser75

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I hope they don't drop the 13" pro model, I love the 16" but recently got the new 2020 base 13" as a travel device and I'm loving it so far.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
My wish list for the 16” includes:
  • mini-LED ProMotion (!) Display
  • 12-core A14X Processor
  • Improved 1080p webcam (w/ FaceID if possible)
  • A little bit lighter (can the efficiency benefits of ARM be used to get the same battery life while decreasing battery capacity a smidge?)
If they put those first three things in a 14.1” model first I might end up getting that, but I hope the 14.1” and 16” models launch simultaneously.

Stupid question coming up......... The thread says 'Waiting for 2021 MBP' so is there a chance of a 2020 release? Also, have 2 sizes of MBP's been released simultaneously before?
[automerge]1589741671[/automerge]
My current Mac Pro has the following stats. How will the current base model 16" Mac Book Pro compare to it?

* Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26Ghz
* 6mb Ram

Also, is it safe to assume a new 16" MBP will come around Xmas 2020?
Also, any thoughts on my question above guys?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Stupid question coming up......... The thread says 'Waiting for 2021 MBP' so is there a chance of a 2020 release? Also, have 2 sizes of MBP's been released simultaneously before?
[automerge]1589741671[/automerge]

Also, any thoughts on my question above guys?
Well, theoretically a 2020 update to the 16” could occur. That’s definitely more likely than a second 2020 update to the 13”, which I’d consider next to impossible given the 14” rumors and its associated timeline. If the 16” is updated this year with 10th-gen processors then I’d personally expect the following timeline:
  • 16” Intel (10th-gen) MBP - Summer/Fall 2020
  • 14.1” ARM MBP - Spring 2021
  • 16” ARM MBP - Summer/Fall 2021
If the 16” isn’t updated this year, then I’d expect it to come with the 14” in the Spring, but there haven’t been many rumors of that so maybe the timeline above is closer to accurate.

And yes, the 13” and 15” MBP were updated simultaneously in late 2016.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Well, theoretically a 2020 update to the 16” could occur. That’s definitely more likely than a second 2020 update to the 13”, which I’d consider next to impossible given the 14” rumors and its associated timeline. If the 16” is updated this year with 10th-gen processors then I’d personally expect the following timeline:
  • 16” Intel (10th-gen) MBP - Summer/Fall 2020
  • 14.1” ARM MBP - Spring 2021
  • 16” ARM MBP - Summer/Fall 2021
If the 16” isn’t updated this year, then I’d expect it to come with the 14” in the Spring, but there haven’t been many rumors of that so maybe the timeline above is closer to accurate.

And yes, the 13” and 15” MBP were updated simultaneously in late 2016.
Thanks mate for the overview. I've just been doing some research too and it seems that if there is a 16" MBP release this year, it's highly unlikely it will have the new micro-led screen. Maybe some minor performance tweaks etc only. If that's the case, I'd go into the used market for a 2019 MBP with the scissor keyboard.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
If that's the case, I'd go into the used market for a 2019 MBP with the scissor keyboard.
That is my plan number 1 after upcoming updates. Since definitely they will try to fit new CPUs for 16 incher, but without other improvements.

Reactions: scouser75

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
I, like others, don’t believe Apple will back away from the touch bar, even though I’d love it if they did. So I’m not too surprised to hear that they may increase the size of the touch bar, if this rumor is true. But, if that’s the case, what will the extra space be used for?
[automerge]1589770569[/automerge]
My wish list for the 14” MBP:
  • Thinner bezels (ideally thinner than the 16” MBP, but I don’t think this will happen)
  • Mini LED screen (ideally with Promotion 120 Hz, but I don’t think this will happen)
  • Enhanced speakers similar to the 16” MBP
I’d like to ride out on the 14” MBP for three years while ARM leaves it’s buggy early adopters stage. I am tired of financing Apple’s R&D as a beta tester of hardware/software. I want to come into ARM after the growing pains.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I, like others, don’t believe Apple will back away from the touch bar, even though I’d love it if they did. So I’m not too surprised to hear that they may increase the size of the touch bar, if this rumor is true. But, if that’s the case, what will the extra space be used for?
[automerge]1589770569[/automerge]
My wish list for the 14” MBP:
  • Thinner bezels (ideally thinner than the 16” MBP, but I don’t think this will happen)
  • Mini LED screen (ideally with Promotion 120 Hz, but I don’t think this will happen)
  • Enhanced speakers similar to the 16” MBP
I’d like to ride out on the 14” MBP for three years while ARM leaves it’s buggy early adopters stage. I am tired of financing Apple’s R&D as a beta tester of hardware/software. I want to come into ARM after the growing pains.

Part of me wonders if there will be those ARM growing pains. Sure maybe from a third party software support perspective, it will take them time to re-code their apps. I mean from a quality control/performance perspective. Apple has already been making ARM chips for years already for their iPhones and iPads. The bulk of the R&D is done already. Putting ARM chips in Macs could be as simple as just adding cores. They aren't necessarily starting from scratch here. It's not exactly like the Mini-LED display where it's going to be their very first time putting it in a consumer product and it likely will have issues at first. At least that's what i'm hoping, however realistic or unrealistic that may be.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Modern apps are written in high level languages like swift or objective-c making them essentially CPU independent. It is just a recompile for another target.

The challenge will probably be any framework used by the applications. Switching to only 64-bit apps with Catalina was probably Apples way of killing of old apps.

SwiftUI which is intende as a way to build apps for any device is probably also a step to switch to a modern common framework that would make it easier to write mostly common apps for iPhone, iPad and Mac.

WWDC will be exciting this year.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
Has Kuo, Prosser, or the “in my dream” guy explicitly stated that the 14” MBP was getting a mini LED display?

EDIT: Found it

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Has Kuo, Prosser, or the “in my dream” guy explicitly stated that the 14” MBP was getting a mini LED display?

EDIT: Found it

Yeah, according to Kuo, basically all Apple products with a screen (except seemingly iPhone and Apple Watch) are going to go Mini LED. The bigger question is when and in what order.

"According to Kuo, Apple's mini-LED products are expected to come out in 2020 and 2021, but in previous notes, Kuo has said we can expect to see the 16-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ with a mini-LED display in the fourth quarter of 2020, so that could also be when the 14.1-inch version will launch."

That makes it seem like the MBP's will be getting it first and it'll be late 2020 at the earliest, but i recall seeing other rumor/speculation that's slid back to early 2021 at the earliest now. But sometime in 2021 is pretty much all but guaranteed now.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah, according to Kuo, basically all Apple products with a screen (except seemingly iPhone and Apple Watch) are going to go Mini LED. The bigger question is when and in what order.

"According to Kuo, Apple's mini-LED products are expected to come out in 2020 and 2021, but in previous notes, Kuo has said we can expect to see the 16-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ with a mini-LED display in the fourth quarter of 2020, so that could also be when the 14.1-inch version will launch."

That makes it seem like the MBP's will be getting it first and it'll be late 2020 at the earliest, but i recall seeing other rumor/speculation that's slid back to early 2021 at the earliest now. But sometime in 2021 is pretty much all but guaranteed now.

A 14.1" MBP in Q4 2020 with Tiger Lake and Mini-LED would be an instant buy for me.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Starting a new "waiting" thread since the 2020 13" MBP is out.

Although I'm on a 2019 base 16", I do miss the 13" form factor when carrying the machine around the house. The smaller 13" was better for taking from the desk to the couch, or from the couch to the bed.

I seriously thought about selling the 16" and going with the 10th-gen Ice Lake 13", but I'm now leaning on waiting for either Tiger Lake or ARM, possible in a revised 14" form factor. It's also unclear whether the Touch Bar is going to remain or whether Apple will admit defeat like they did with the butterfly keyboards.

What do you guys think? What are the "must have" features for a next-generation 13" MBP? I'm thinking:

• 14" Mini-LED display with thinner bezels in the same chassis as the current 2020 13"
  • Tiger Lake U series chip (assuming MBP stays on Intel) with 4 cores and Gen 12 Xe-based graphics
  • Revised webcam (1080p), Face ID as a nice-to-have
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 / USB4 ports
  • Removal of Touch Bar / return of function keys
  • Wifi 6
As for folks who want a 16":
  • Mini-LED display
  • Tiger Lake H series chip (assuming MBP stays on Intel) with up to 10 cores and Gen 12 Xe-based graphics
  • AMD RDNA2 dGPU
  • Revised webcam (1080p), Face ID as a nice-to-have
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 / USB4 ports
  • Removal of Touch Bar / return of function keys
  • Wifi 6
I suspect Apple might do a silent refresh of the 16" for 2020 with Comet Lake, but I could see them going straight to Tiger Lake since Comet Lake (10th Gen H) is just a speed-bump of Coffee Lake Refresh (9th Gen H).
I am with this guy up until removal of touch bar. For 16 incher 1) mini Led 2) Tiger H 3) Face ID 4) webcam

There were tons of issues/ repairs with the keyboard that Ive forced on us all for many years. Touch ID not the same kinda issue. I've grown to like it.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
I would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think Apple will back away from the Touch Bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.