Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
that they expect their allotment of imac to arrive on nov 16th.

I hope this is true! Because if ClubMac gets theirs on the 16th, I'm sure most of the other major resellers such as Amazon will get theirs as well by then. I do remember that their other iMacs (the 27 base and 21.5 inch) were slowly rolled out within days of the official release. So if this trend continues, hopefully we'll start seeing them by next week!! Keeping fingers crossed!

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
yup... i'm with you there..except i'm getting 6% back! b/c i just opened up my amazon visa card (specifically to purchase this iMac!!)... 6% translates to getting an extra $125 back in Amazon gift cards :D

I'm thinking of eventually doing exactly the same thing because I shop alot with Amazon. But where does 6% come from? I see they give you $30 for opening an Amazon Visa Card then how you can earn points to buy Amazon gift cards and such but don't see where it adds up to $125. What am I missing? :)

-PN

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
I'm thinking of eventually doing exactly the same thing because I shop alot with Amazon. But where does 6% come from? I see they give you $30 for opening an Amazon Visa Card then how you can earn points to buy Amazon gift cards and such but don't see where it adds up to $125. What am I missing? :)

-PN

Oops..sorry, let me clarify myself..its not really 6%..but its 6 points for every dollar. So the way that Amazon Visa works is that you get 3 points for every dollar spent at Amazon. In this case, you're buying the iMac for $1999. HOWEVER, for new Amazon Visa cardholders, points are doubled for the first 90 days (I confirmed this with Chase (the bank for Amazon Visa)) although its not explicitly written anywhere! I just remembered they used to advertise this but for some reason they don't anymore. Anyways, thats now 6 points for every dollar spent. So $1999 x 6 points = 11,994 points!! You get $25 Amazon gift card for every 2,500 points. So you would get back $100 in Amazon gift cards from this purchase alone. I'm also purchasing Apple Care so that would get me the additional points to get me over 12,500 which would be a total of $125 back! It's such a great deal..especially if you frequently shop at Amazon like me (no tax! woohoo!).

BTW, heres a breakdown of what my savings are with Amazon vs Apple (I know I have to wait a little longer but I think its worth it):

Apple
$1999 (iMac)
$16 (Recylcle Fee)
$194.90 (Tax)

$2209.90 TOTAL

Amazon
$1999 (iMac)
-$100 (Amazon giftcards)

$1899 TOTAL

$310.90 savings :D

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Oops..sorry, let me clarify myself..its not really 6%..but its 6 points for every dollar. So the way that Amazon Visa works is that you get 3 points for every dollar spent at Amazon. In this case, you're buying the iMac for $1999. HOWEVER, for new Amazon Visa cardholders, points are doubled for the first 90 days (I confirmed this with Chase (the bank for Amazon Visa)) although its not explicitly written anywhere! I just remembered they used to advertise this but for some reason they don't anymore. Anyways, thats now 6 points for every dollar spent. So $1999 x 6 points = 11,994 points!! You get $25 Amazon gift card for every 2,500 points. So you would get back $100 in Amazon gift cards from this purchase alone. I'm also purchasing Apple Care so that would get me the additional points to get me over 12,500 which would be a total of $125 back! It's such a great deal..especially if you frequently shop at Amazon like me (no tax! woohoo!).

BTW, heres a breakdown of what my savings are with Amazon vs Apple (I know I have to wait a little longer but I think its worth it):

Apple
$1999 (iMac)
$16 (Recylcle Fee)
$194.90 (Tax)

$2209.90 TOTAL

Amazon
$1999 (iMac)
-$100 (Amazon giftcards)

$1899 TOTAL

$310.90 savings :D

Ahh interesting!

Actually the I5 from Amazon is $1,972.98. Then you get $30 back for opening an Amazon Visa card making it $1,942.98. Then let's say you get $100 in Amazon Gift cards with your points after that it would be $1,842.98 and you'd still have some points left over (not enough for another $25 gift card but not far). Does that seem right?

I never really understood why anybody would want to order directly from Apple unless they really needed it ASAP. I'll wait 2-3 weeks to save $200-$250 any day of the week. Besides, after I spend so much money on something like that I'd life to have a little something left over to buy something cool or useful for it (like RAM, games, etc...). :)

-PN

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
Ahh interesting!

Actually the I5 from Amazon is $1,972.98. Then you get $30 back for opening an Amazon Visa card making it $1,942.98. Then let's say you get $100 in Amazon Gift cards with your points after that it would be $1,842.98 and you'd still have some points left over (not enough for another $25 gift card but not far). Does that seem right?

I never really understood why anybody would want to order directly from Apple unless they really needed it ASAP. I'll wait 2-3 weeks to save $200-$250 any day of the week. Besides, after I spend so much money on something like that I'd life to have a little something left over to buy something cool or useful for it (like RAM, games, etc...). :)

-PN

I stand corrected yet again! You're right! It is $1,972.98... and you do get the $30 back for opening. So yes..your math is correct. :p

triggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I just emailed Amazon asking for an update on my i5 order placed on October 20th. Their response was

"Apple iMac 27-Inch Desktop" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We'll make sure to update our website listing when we know more.

Not that I'd expect whoever's manning the Customer Support mailbox to have a clue, but I would hope they realize that it is a released product by now.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I'm on a trip right now to Colorado Springs, and having never been to an Apple store before (they don't have any within 3 hours of my house), I decided to pop into the Apple store at the Briargate shopping center. I was very impressed with the layout of the store and my jaw dropped when I saw the 27" in person for the first time. But I wasn't too impressed with the people that worked there.

I wasn't expecting them to have the i7 in-stock, but I thought I would check anyway and report back to this thread. The first person I talked to said that it wasn't in stock yet and that they weren't even shipping from the Apple store yet. I casually mentioned that the i7 was in fact shipping now, and they said they would be right back. They came back with someone else and they told me that the online Apple store wasn't shipping the i7 yet. I smiled and casually said, it's no big deal, but they are in fact shipping. They then insisted that this was impossible, so I pulled up this forum and showed him. They seemed shocked and then informed me that I have to watch out because a lot of people "fake" the arrival of their new Mac. I said absolutely, but there's absolutely no way that hundreds of people would fake it at the same time.

I preceded to admire the new 27" and then got the heck out of there as quick as I could.

Bryan

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I just emailed Amazon asking for an update on my i5 order placed on October 20th. Their response was

"Apple iMac 27-Inch Desktop" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We'll make sure to update our website listing when we know more.

Not that I'd expect whoever's manning the Customer Support mailbox to have a clue, but I would hope they realize that it is a released product by now.

Their released is not the same as Apples.

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I contacted MacConnection support a couple days ago about when the QC iMacs were shipping, they said this Friday.

screenshot20091110atnov.png

triggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Their released is not the same as Apples.

Amazon may have none in stock, but they physically cannot have a different release date from the manufacturer of the product.

The fact that other resellers seem to have a handle on when they will begin receiving stock while Amazon does not concerns me a little bit.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Still waiting for Amazon. Ordered an i5 on Oct. 28. In the past, they seem to have gotten Apple product in pretty quickly, so I am optimistic. For about a day earlier this month, the price was actually $1948, and I got them to adjust my order to that price. Add my $3.99 overnight shipping with Prime, it's a pretty good deal.

If they show up at the local Apple Store (we've got about 10 in town now), I'll go buy it for $1899 + tax with my EPP discount. If Amazon gets them first, I go that way. I just hope one or the other pays off in the next week.

I advise those of you that have ordered to keep an eye on the price. Amazon fluctuates those with some regularity. You might get a couple more bucks off.

ew93

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
I ordered my i7 from Macmall 2 days ago. They said that they start shipping on Nov 17. We'll see.

J12300

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009
Fremont, CA
Question??

Ordering from online reseller...Amazon or Club Mac...if there is a issue with computer and you have Applecare....do u send back to reseller or can you take to Apple Store!!!

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
Question??

Ordering from online reseller...Amazon or Club Mac...if there is a issue with computer and you have Applecare....do u send back to reseller or can you take to Apple Store!!!

I am 99.9% sure you take it to an Apple store.

LuckyDog

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
MacConnection

I've bought 4 different macs over the years through MacConnection. They've been nothing but great.

I haven't ordered yet, because I wanted to wait to see if it was worth spending the extra money for the i7.

I did call MacConnection yesterday, and I was told that their shipment isn't coming in until the last week of November. Maybe that's for people who place new orders.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
One thing that gives me hope for Amazon is that I did some web searching last night and came across older threads along these lines. In at least one case people were being told that the expected ship date from Amazon was 1-2 months after the release but some folks started getting them just a couple of weeks after release.

We shall see ... if the physical stores have the QCs in a week or two I'll probably break down and go that route.

rvacs

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
MacMall - we will see?

I had mine with Apple Educational and then figured the savings with MacMall with rebate - but when I called yesterday to check - they were very rude...so may cancel with MacMall and change it up...

Anybody have problems with MacMall?

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I ordered mine from expercom on 10/29, and today apple is shipping it to them hopefully i'll have it next week

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I ordered mine from expercom on 10/29, and today apple is shipping it to them hopefully i'll have it next week

Shipping to who? What proof do you have? Until I have a shipping notice from Club Mac I have no reason to believe anything they tell me. Hell just reading this site it is apparent Mac Connection doesn't tell the same story twice in a day....

Really, unless these guys can offer up a manifest showing it really is coming to them why believe them? I am willing to wait until it shows up in stores. Once there I cancel any mail order.

tha80sbrat

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Would you guys happen to know if Best Buy will be getting the i5 quads? I've heard mixed reports about this. When the new iMacs came out, the BB website had the i5 listed, but as sold out online. Then a week after, they removed it altogether. I think it's a safe bet it won't be sold at at the actual retailers, but I was curious if anyone has heard if the website will be carrying the quad core?

If not, I'll probably just go to the Apple Store.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Would you guys happen to know if Best Buy will be getting the i5 quads? I've heard mixed reports about this. When the new iMacs came out, the BB website had the i5 listed, but as sold out online. Then a week after, they removed it altogether. I think it's a safe bet it won't be sold at at the actual retailers, but I was curious if anyone has heard if the website will be carrying the quad core?

If not, I'll probably just go to the Apple Store.

I won't say which Best Buy I was at, but here in Atlanta it has an official Apple rep and that rep told me no store would have them except for the Apple store.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
No dice

I tried calling Apple directly and after getting transferred to 4 or 5 different departments, I got absolutely no information on when Apple plans on shipping to these resellers. :(

Sorry guys..I am trying my best to get any little crumb of information to pass along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.