Waiting for 32GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Jun 15, 2014.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

So... my understanding is that because DDR3 laptop modules are limited to 8GB, we're stuck with a max of 8GB RAM in 13" MBPs and 16GB in 15" MBPs until DDR4 becomes available.

Meanwhile, software gets more and more memory-hungry. It's getting to the point where a $2,000 13" laptop simply isn't an option for developing software or doing graphics/video work, and I can't be the only one who's been using 8GB since 2010 and is desperate for an upgrade!

But it looks like it could be another year until DDR4 is available for laptops! Has anyone heard anything encouraging about the timeline?

2. Freyqq macrumors 601

if you are doing anything that requires 32 gb of ram, you should probably be using a desktop.

3. cube macrumors G5

You can buy a mobile workstation or a gaming laptop with 4 DIMM slots.

4. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Should"?

Yes, that's the current solution, but not one that makes sense for everyone (I work out of three different locations day to day). Moreover, just a few years ago, that *wasn't* necessary. We're moving backwards.

5. cube macrumors G5

Blame Intel for the vendors' ultrabook obsession.

And Apple by itself.

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Just FYI, but you can configure the 13" rMBP with 16 GB or RAM. It just isn't one of the stock configurations.

7. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh, when did they start offering that? Sure beats 8!

8. cube macrumors G5

I also did not know. In the tech specs they keep on showing 8.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

To be honest I'm not sure, I just noticed it this morning. Maybe Apple did a silent update of sorts and added some additional options to the CTO rMBP.

----------

Go configure one! It's an option on all 3 13" retina models. Not cheap though...

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

*edit*

Looks like the tech specs page confirms that all rMBP models are capable of running 16GB.

Attached Files:

10. Meister, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Silent update?
    Are you guys ****ing serious?
    You havent noticed the countless threads 4gb, 8gb or 16gb on this forum over the past months?

The option to get 16gb on the 13" rmbp has always been there and discussed at nauseum.

11. cube macrumors G5

I did not see it in the specs when I looked earlier today, but I see it now.

16GiB RAM and 1TB storage is not enough for heavy work. Dual-core is not even enough for medium work.

If I'm going to buy a machine for travel, I could get a cheaper 11", or a quad-core 13" with discrete graphics.

12. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Sorry, I don't spend much time in the MBP section.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

You show me a quad-core 13" macbook and I show you Jimmy Hoffas grave.
    I am all for as many and pimped out options as possible, but ou of curiosity:
    What are you doing with your laptop that would require more than 16gb ram and 1tb ssd?

----------

Good for you. You have a life :)

14. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

You'd be surprised. I have some photoshop files that give me low memory warnings on my 32GB desktop but they are not CPU intensive. Just a lot of layers and filters, a lot of things to maintain in memory.

Theres quite a few usage scenarios where the memory would come in useful and the other lower specced parts of the computer (CPU / GPU) aren't as important, Photoshop and Illustrator are two of those.

Another scenario is multitasking. Maybe you are working on a web project so you need your IDE open but you're also working on graphics for that project so you need Photoshop or Illustrator open. Maybe you are doing video for this site too so you have iMovie or Final Cut open and taking things from your photoshop documents in to the video editor etc. All of these things running eats a lot of memory but not many CPU cycles.

15. cube macrumors G5

I can show you a quad-core 13" laptop PC with discrete graphics. This shows you how Apple is lagging.

16. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Apple isn't lagging, despite your claims to the contrary. If you want to buy something other than Apple, just do it rather than complaining about what you perceive to be a lack of options in Apple products.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Once you have used the new haswell macbook lineup you know that :apple: isnt the one lagging.
    If you dont mind windows, good for you.

18. cube macrumors G5

If Linux had the applications OSX has, I would have abandoned this platform many years ago.

19. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

This. Or XCode instead of a web-oriented IDE. And an instance of the software you're building running in the terminal or simulator (or both, for a server-client app). Plus dozens of browser tabs open while you research an obscure error condition.

That's without even taking into account email/IM/music, which all eat twice as much memory as they once did too...

20. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I'd imagine either it is 1" thick for thermal reasons or it has absolutely horrendous battery life. Everything is a trade off - Apple goes with what appeals to the most number of potential customers.

21. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

It's ad nauseam
    [​IMG]

22. cube macrumors G5

I don't care that it is thick. It weighs 2Kg like a classic 13" MBP.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

At naseum, at naseum, at naseum, at naseum :p

24. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Then go find a platform that better meets your personal preferences.

25. cube macrumors G5

Apple releases their iOS development tools only for OSX, and iTunes only for OSX and Windows.